A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 D3 Trunk / boot motor fix - sanding disc

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Ok. With mine I could always hear the motor running but the trunk wasn't moving so it had to be slipping. The motor is pretty quiet mind and easy to confuse the sound with the latch pull down motor in the same area which does sound like a stalling/dieing motor.

Regards the sound of the clutch slipping it's actually pretty much inaudible as the friction surfaces are very smooth. The only time I ever heard it making a slipping noise was when I sanded the clutch faces. It made a squaking sound when it was slipping.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dvs Dave,

If you have the time, a couple of follow-up questions to your brilliant solution:

1. How difficult is it to disassemble the motor? I can take it off the vehicle bit looking for any experience on how to break it down.
2. Is there a need to clean and/or lubricate any of the metal drive contact parts (obviously excluding the friction load pieces)?
3. Any other adjustments necessary to the hinges or struts?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

FYI to everyone, I bought the new improved metal bodied trunk motor a little more than a year ago and now I have to help it go up. It will go down on it's own. I do have the correct shocks per TSB. Audi recommends replacing with updated hinges so I guess that will be my next move.

So replacing the motor will work for a while but not a 100% fix by itself.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default FWIW...

Originally Posted by TSHong
FYI to everyone, I bought the new improved metal bodied trunk motor a little more than a year ago and now I have to help it go up. It will go down on it's own. I do have the correct shocks per TSB. Audi recommends replacing with updated hinges so I guess that will be my next move.

I replaced my trunk motor a year ago with a used 2008 motor/unit and last winter one of my original 2004 hinges snapped in two. So I replaced with used 2008 hinges...deck lid still goes up and down perfectly.

But I will say I could not see any difference between the two sets of hinges...not in geometry, thickness of stock, nothing. But they say there's a difference of some sort.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have got my original hinges I the car, and the upgraded 223NM motor. (The old one was only 163NM)

I have had zero issues.

Mike
Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Your hinges must be a bit bent. It is easy to strait them.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  9.6 KB
Old 10-23-2014, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Your hinges must be a bit bent. It is easy to strait them.

I think mine are also. The gap is slightly wider on the passenger side. Maybe a 1/16". I will try bending a little to see if that centers it.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by pfishwacker
dvs Dave,

If you have the time, a couple of follow-up questions to your brilliant solution:

1. How difficult is it to disassemble the motor? I can take it off the vehicle bit looking for any experience on how to break it down.
2. Is there a need to clean and/or lubricate any of the metal drive contact parts (obviously excluding the friction load pieces)?
3. Any other adjustments necessary to the hinges or struts?

Thanks!
Removing and replacing the unit from the car is probably the trickiest part. Once you have the unit out, just undo all the screws, including the position sensor and electronics board cover and the casing comes apart. Un plug the 2 coil wires from the board and the two case halfs come apart completely. From there the clutch parts just lift out. You can grease the gears if you want for peace of mind.

Reassembly is the exact reverse of reassembly. Although prior to fitting the motor back into the car you need to let it re calibrate itself so the motor mechanism is in the correct position for the open trunk. Just plug the motor in and leave it on the trunk floor, press the trunk close button, and manually close the trunk. Wait a few secs, then open the trunk with the key remote and open the trunk manually. The motor now should be in the open position and you can put it back on the car. Once it's back on carefully open and close the trunk manually to see if it binds at all. If it does, the motor position needs to be reset again. Whatever you do don't force it as that will bend a hinge or break the actuator.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Looking at the new vs old, the unit seems pretty similar except the motor case appears larger and it's now a metal. The clutch mechanism area looks similar in size so is probably very similar inside. And by the sounds of it, the clutch still wears out the same so is still no longer able to transfer the (now greater) torque available from the larger motor.

The only possible mode of failure in the mechanism where it gradually gets weaker is the the clutch failing, as the rest is all gears and worm drives. Electric motors don't get gradually weaker either. They either get noisy (bearings, magnets detaching etc), or just don't work at all.

Looks like Audi fixed the wrong part...
Old 10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fix

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
A hopefully definitive fix for this well known and annoying issue on the 04-08 A8 D3's before they brought out a revised motor unit.

This fix tackles the problem at it's root cause; the electromagnetic clutch in the trunk motor assembly wearing out so it slips and is no longer able to transmit sufficient torque to open the trunk lid. My unit had become so weak that it couldn't even close the trunk!

There are various other fixes out there involving extra springs, solder flux paste, and a few others, however none of them were satisfactory or worked for me .

To fix a worn clutch you replace the friction material. A replacement clutch part is not available so I had to figure out a way of increasing the torque capacity of the existing unit's worn out clutch.

The solution lay in the form of a 5" 120 grit sticky backed sanding disc (pack of 5 less than $3 from Home Depot). A sanding disc is essentially very high friction and robust, friction material.

5" 120 grit sticky backed sanding discs

You have to remove and disassemble the trunk motor to get to the clutch plate (plenty of info out there on the web on how to do that) which is the part shown below.

A8 D3 Trunk motor clutch plate

Trim the sanding disc so that it fits flat inside the clutch plate.

Trimmed to size sanding disc

Peel the sticky back off the disc and then stick it onto the clutch plate.

Clutch plate with new friction material stuck on.

Reassemble the motor mechanism, re-install it in the car and you're done. Your trunk will now open and close at the touch of a button as though it were new!

Disclaimer: this is for information only and you choose to do this at your own risk. I accept no responsibility and cannot to be held liable for any losses or damages as a result of you carrying this out etc etc.

you not fixing anything.
all you are doing is altering the original design removing the biggest safety feature out of it.
so now it works up/down open/close.
that was not the original simple purpose of this device.
what if something is in the way of the trunk lid while closing?

Quick Reply: Audi A8 D3 Trunk / boot motor fix - sanding disc