A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2G MMI HIGH video interface questions...

Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2G MMI HIGH video interface questions...

Hey all. I've read up on the various threads on how to activate the VIM and enable the Aux inputs for video. Looking into doing this for the the S8. Majority of video would be coming from my Samsung Note 2 as I can Torrent files directly to it. Am thinking of a micro-USB to rca for signal to the interface once installed. Big question is, which model to get.
I started doing some basic searches for "2G MMI High video interface" and came up with many results. I have seen prices from $165 and up. Basically the same unit, 2 inputs, switching to back up camera when in reverse, etc.
Any insights, links or prices from anyone who has done this ?

Last edited by 1Wasserwerks; 07-14-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

watching vids whilst driving?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by scottybooj
watching vids whilst driving?
You may be joking but many big rig drivers are doing just that.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a possibility but also illegal. The wife is the tv/movie freak. At least if we are driving someplace far she can watch something or go on netflix. Once I get this going I'll see about getting the ps3 wired (also have a usb tether app through the phone) as well.
I have found a few of these units online, some from UK, some from China....looking for some more input.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pick up the oem analog tuner, usually dirt cheap, since analog broadcasts dont exist.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looking at this or something similar:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271140160387?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true
Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would something like this allow you to cast an app like Google Maps onto your MMI screen? That would be extremely useful...
Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cre8value
Would something like this allow you to cast an app like Google Maps onto your MMI screen? That would be extremely useful...
That's a good thought. I am still trying to figure out which route I want to take. The more and more i am looking into this venture the less it is looking like a plug and play type of thing.
That would work well if the google maps could be used in that manner, to navigate and also hear the directions as well. Would probably lose music etc. as the a/v would be from that one source (cell phone).
There are several aftermarket units I could go with, Dietz 1110, Kufatek, Dennison.... some look plug and play, some need MOST support in addition. Starting to get overloaded thinking about it all.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
That's a good thought. I am still trying to figure out which route I want to take. The more and more i am looking into this venture the less it is looking like a plug and play type of thing.
That would work well if the google maps could be used in that manner, to navigate and also hear the directions as well. Would probably lose music etc. as the a/v would be from that one source (cell phone).
There are several aftermarket units I could go with, Dietz 1110, Kufatek, Dennison.... some look plug and play, some need MOST support in addition. Starting to get overloaded thinking about it all.
I'm using the Tune2Air Bluetooth device through the AMI. When my phone has both Google Maps + Pandora on at the same time, Pandora music volume is reduced while the maps read out the next direction. Then the music returns to full volume after the maps are done with the audio resource. The perfect world ideal solution would be something like Apple TV where you could screen cast the device's screen onto the MMI. That way your maps would appear on the MMI screen while audio was handled through BT.
/perfect world
Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default This one doesn't have any Optical cables -

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
Looking at this or something similar:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271140160387?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true
It takes the screen output of the head unit - mux through this box to port the signal to the screen. Do you have to set a switch every time you want the external video to display?

Use the original analog TV box to select the TV1 and TV2 in the MMI menu.

Cheers,

Louis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2G MMI HIGH video interface questions...