A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi key set replacement questions. please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi key set replacement questions. please help!!

So recently the good ol wife lost the keys to my a8. I called the dealership for a replacement and they said it'll be around 350 for the remote key with programming. I really don't feel like paying that much just for that . I contacted a friend that is parting out his same year year a8 and said he will charge me 150 for everything I need for a new key set. I know I'll need the ignition swith and locks to match the key,but my question is would getting the matching ecu be enough or would I STILL have to get something programmed? I really don't feel like going somewhere just to get something programmed and wasting more money. I've done the same thing in a BMW plenty before and all I would swith is the key,locks and the immobilizer module (or ecu or whatever it's called ) and it has working just fine. Please any help would be great . Thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by djikonatx
So recently the good ol wife lost the keys to my a8. I called the dealership for a replacement and they said it'll be around 350 for the remote key with programming. I really don't feel like paying that much just for that . I contacted a friend that is parting out his same year year a8 and said he will charge me 150 for everything I need for a new key set. I know I'll need the ignition swith and locks to match the key,but my question is would getting the matching ecu be enough or would I STILL have to get something programmed? I really don't feel like going somewhere just to get something programmed and wasting more money. I've done the same thing in a BMW plenty before and all I would swith is the key,locks and the immobilizer module (or ecu or whatever it's called ) and it has working just fine. Please any help would be great . Thanks.
Also steering column and kessy at least
Old 09-15-2015, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by storka
Also steering column and kessy at least
Ps
Ignition switch seems to fit any key
Must just rely on the signal from the key
Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a 3rd key for my 06 A8 and my total bill was the cost of the key from the parts department. They didn't charge me for programming.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Can a key be programmed with VCDS? My car only came with one and I'd like to buy another.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Can a key be programmed with VCDS? My car only came with one and I'd like to buy another.
No. Maybe try Carista.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Richard where in Texas was this at? Maybe I can bring it up the the rep and I can get free programming.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
No. Maybe try Carista.
I highly doubt Carista has the ability to program a key.

I would be interested to know the procedure that an Audi tech uses.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can get all this in the pic with matching ecu, but I'm wondering if this is all I would need to make it work....
Attached Thumbnails audi key set replacement questions. please help!!-screenshot_2015-09-16-09-46-37.png  
Old 09-16-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The cheapest way is to buy one from a dealer. Not necassarily that expensive one. Replacing locks and the rest involves tering apart too much. Can't be cheaper than a key.

You may try some locksmiths. I believe thay got right in a court to do this things.

Quick Reply: audi key set replacement questions. please help!!