A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AW technical issue/change that has sidelined me, maybe for good.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default AW technical issue/change that has sidelined me, maybe for good.

I wanted to let folks know an issue has arisen behind the scenes with AW where a particular viewing format I use called "threaded" apparently has run into big compatibility issues and has caused it to be pulled back and I guess is effectively gone. Many or perhaps most posters now probably didn't even know there where multiple ways to view threads--effectively your "user interface" when you were on any specific forum board.

Oddly one of the top mods and overall editor told me while he doesn't like the result either, apparently there may be as few as 7 of us total who use it across the forums. That surprises me, but who knows. I have not seen other mention of the technical developments/changes on the D3 board, hence this post. They are also looking to see if other users are using this type of display mode, including "lurkers" who may be reading but not posting. Here is a thread over on the Feedback forum about it, including my own thoughts in response. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/fee...about-2880327/

The technical issue and resulting decisions in turn cause me to think of way deemphasizing my participation and just going passive, as well as shifting my content creation elsewhere. My W12 isn't going anywhere just now beyond happily and reliably down the road, but as an author, poster and information sharer I may need to reprioritize other venues and publishers as it were. Years ago when the changes were first made to the interface here after AW was sold, I stuck over here by and large, but a lot of that was because AW scrambled quickly to create and support a variation of the prior interface that was "close enough." Not many here probably know that history still, but a fair number of folks had a lot of passion about it at the time.

For me looking at the AW D3 threads in recent days, it just became too hard to try to follow them without investing a bunch of incremental time. The apparent/supposed breakdown only happened within the last week, at least insofar as it came to then affect supporting threaded view I used. I only found out about it when my usual screen display was broken. I tried the normal fixes, but when they didn't work checked the Feedback board as I have before and came to find out more.

Since I used to see the whole outline of a thread (even in the other mode, called "linear") but now I can't, it has affected my own ability to post or participate a lot. I'm actually traveling which has made internet access both harder and more sporadic, but oddly it put a sharper focus on how difficult the interface suddenly is for me. Having dealt with similar interfaces to what I now see (basically just thread name, number of replies, and name of most recent responder), I've walked away from those boards, and the interface has been a big part of that. The North American Mini 2d generation board is a specific case in point. Even though I still own the car, I gave up on that board as an active participant 2 or 3 years ago. I am checking via another thread of the other D3 site I frequent some on some of their own respective housekeeping deficiencies, especially around picture posting, before coming to any conclusions.

Post here about this if you want. Maybe better, that Feedback thread linked above. Since at least for now I will likely be fading back, messages sent to me on the AW messaging system do come through to one of my primary e mails and I try to respond to them. More lost content for the board in general in some ways, but not much I can do there besides helping folks one on one if I can. Boards like this are better for general interest topics or questions, but sometimes folk do have a question or follow up to some prior post or information I provided about certain pretty specific subject areas I have spent more time on here.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-18-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hang in there, give the feedback a chance to effect the structure.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I wanted to let folks know an issue has arisen behind the scenes with AW where a particular viewing format I use called "threaded" apparently has run into big compatibility issues and has caused it to be pulled back and I guess is effectively gone. Many or perhaps most posters now probably didn't even know there where multiple ways to view threads--effectively your "user interface" when you were on any specific forum board.

Oddly one of the top mods and overall editor told me while he doesn't like the result either, apparently there may be as few as 7 of us total who use it across the forums. That surprises me, but who knows. I have not seen other mention of the technical developments/changes on the D3 board, hence this post. They are also looking to see if other users are using this type of display mode, including "lurkers" who may be reading but not posting. Here is a thread over on the Feedback forum about it, including my own thoughts in response. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/fee...about-2880327/

The technical issue and resulting decisions in turn cause me to think of way deemphasizing my participation and just going passive, as well as shifting my content creation elsewhere. My W12 isn't going anywhere just now beyond happily and reliably down the road, but as an author, poster and information sharer I may need to reprioritize other venues and publishers as it were. Years ago when the changes were first made to the interface here after AW was sold, I stuck over here by and large, but a lot of that was because AW scrambled quickly to create and support a variation of the prior interface that was "close enough." Not many here probably know that history still, but a fair number of folks had a lot of passion about it at the time.

For me looking at the AW D3 threads in recent days, it just became too hard to try to follow them without investing a bunch of incremental time. The apparent/supposed breakdown only happened within the last week, at least insofar as it came to then affect supporting threaded view I used. I only found out about it when my usual screen display was broken. I tried the normal fixes, but when they didn't work checked the Feedback board as I have before and came to find out more.

Since I used to see the whole outline of a thread (even in the other mode, called "linear") but now I can't, it has affected my own ability to post or participate a lot. I'm actually traveling which has made internet access both harder and more sporadic, but oddly it put a sharper focus on how difficult the interface suddenly is for me. Having dealt with similar interfaces to what I now see (basically just thread name, number of replies, and name of most recent responder), I've walked away from those boards, and the interface has been a big part of that. The North American Mini 2d generation board is a specific case in point. Even though I still own the car, I gave up on that board as an active participant 2 or 3 years ago. I am checking via another thread of the other D3 site I frequent some on some of their own respective housekeeping deficiencies, especially around picture posting, before coming to any conclusions.

Post here about this if you want. Maybe better, that Feedback thread linked above. Since at least for now I will likely be fading back, messages sent to me on the AW messaging system do come through to one of my primary e mails and I try to respond to them. More lost content for the board in general in some ways, but not much I can do there besides helping folks one on one if I can. Boards like this are better for general interest topics or questions, but sometimes folk do have a question or follow up to some prior post or information I provided about certain pretty specific subject areas I have spent more time on here.
Your input is much valued. The detailed and specific information is a resource that AW should accommodate. Give it at least the end of the month to sort out.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate to see this happen

MP:
Although I've only been here a short 7 months, I've come to value your insight and knowledge of the D3 in general. While I can certainly understand your other obligations needing to take priority, I'd hate to lose your contributions over something this trivial on AW's part. Clearly you are invested in the format they have chosen to remove, and I hope that it can be remedied and quick. Your knowledge base is invaluable to the DIY crowd and quite frankly is confidence inspiring for those of us that otherwise would not pick up the wrench to give it a try. I truly hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction as losing your input here would certainly be a detriment. Try to lurk on occasion if possible and best O luck

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

I guess I have never played around with the thread viewer settings, though I have learned tons of information from your posts.

I would hope that a format change would not be enough for all of us to loose your insight, however at the same time we cannot make you stay.

Is the way you view the threads like they have it on QuattroWorld?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Please enlighten me.......

Hello MP4.2+6.0

Hope all is well,

I am once again very confused about the "Threaded Mode", I know at least on my display that "Linear Mode" shows all posts of a thread as follows, newest reply to first question from the OP top to bottom, so new to old, where as "Hybrid Mode" shows the OP first question on top followed by all replies, so old to newest, now what is confusing to me is that "Threaded Mode" for me only shows the OP's question, and that is all it shows, no replies, not even my own replies, and it has always displayed this way since I joined back in July of 2010, So if one were to only view in "Threaded Mode" how would that viewer know what someone else replied.

And then Kris Hansen just posted this,

"Ah, I should have mentioned, if you have threaded view selected still, you'll want to turn that off, it prevents the linear from showing correctly."

That is even more confusing as I can only choose one at a time, I can not have "threaded view selected" and look at it "linear", it is only one of the three modes, I do not have an option to "turn that off", it is only a choice of one of the three.

What am I missing, and how does or how did your display layout in threaded mode, was it always just the OP's question and that's it, if so how do you see the other posters replies in threaded mode, as I said already, mine would only show OP's question and that is it in threaded mode, and that is all it ever did for me.

Johnny J J

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 03-18-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a post on the D4 board about not being able to view threads the way he used to...hopefully this won't mean that you will leave as you and Mishar are by far the biggest contributors here. If there is a petition we can sign or a moderator we can contact on your behalf let us know.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Sense of perspective....

An outdated, clunky, hard to navigate and rarely used view is being discontinued.
Is it really that big of a deal?

The newer views are so much more user friendly and a cinch to learn. Think MS DOS vs iOS.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that MP4.2+6.0 is a important contributor. I appreciate his knowledge and input. I also totally agree with dvs dave in that this move should not be a big deal.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, simplified version is "same as QW"; more context

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
I guess I have never played around with the thread viewer settings, though I have learned tons of information from your posts.

I would hope that a format change would not be enough for all of us to loose your insight, however at the same time we cannot make you stay.

Is the way you view the threads like they have it on QuattroWorld?
Yes, the simplified version of this is "same as QW".

If you go back into the history, maybe 7-9 years ago now AW was sold from its original founder types. I don't know what the economics were. For a while all fine. Then one day basically out of the blue the format changed to the precursor of what most here probably use. Standard forum type menus with original post titles, number of replies, author and that's about it. Standard IB (Internet Brands) approach apparently, and what I see on many other forums that underneath seem to use the same apparent hosting software. I view it as mediocre, but kind of the "market" norm.

Instantly when that sudden change occurred there was a foreign body reaction throughout AW on many different boards, whether D3 or C5 or the B series boards or wherever. Could still be found if you go deep into the old pages. Literally within weeks QW got launched by some of the old players and it stuck to an approach very similar to the prior one. Then in some pretty passionate statements--some akin almost to Martin Luther posting the points on the forum door--a lot of members exited with a mix of sadness, passion and anger. A few got rash unfortuntely, leading to today's need to request editing rights if you want to delete or change things. AW's posting levels and I expect traffic fell way off. To AW's credit at the time, they backed off of the prior no option of going back approach and did a crash program. They rebuilt an interface on top of the then new/standard one that did an okay job of bridging back to what they had before. I weathered it through, but during the storm also fell back on my own use.

That's the system (called threaded) I basically used until this day. It is also why to my mind there are now these two kind of parallel (English language) universes of AW and QW--putting aside Audizine that has a sort of different feel, specialty ones like R8talk that is 10-50x more active than the R8 board here or on QW or AZ, and a few others in geographies like the UK I stumble on once in a while [a lot more relevant for cars like Minis].

From my perspective, unfortunately for my contributions here that bridged "threaded" approach turns out to be a real imperative for me. For those of us who like geeky calculators, it's sort of akin to an RPN computaional approach pioneered by HP versus the standard algebraic approach. With modern calc's and better displays and inclusion of parentheses keys, you can now use a TI the alternative pretty much just as well. But for those of us (fossils) used to the elegance and simplicity of the other approach, there is no going back. For better of for worse, I can tell you with the change suddenly its like I lost my glasses in the ocean and can hardly see a darn thing without a bunch more work.

As both a principled and practical matter, if I'm the creator and contributor of content and advice, I will probably move on rather than have my time wasted by someone else's decision support a different interface standard I find to basically be substandard use for high volume use as on the content creation side. I'm fine letting that co-exist or advance and it's not my for-profit business to run, but here my glasses were basically suddenly stripped in a sudden wave. Yes, I'm letting it sort out a bit first, and doing my diligence both on whether something gets fixed here, and for other options. As Apple long ago learned, "its the software" (content and apps) that ultimately drives the ecosystem. In my case, apparently the climactic meteor strike may have occurred, and this old dinosaur probably needs to find shelter. There is the "other" refuge, plus there is honestly my "shell" of returning to some projects. Thus, the big honkin' intercooler I have in the two year old box for the Mini--and the old flash software I have for the last year (2010) before Mini/BMW really locked down their ECU's. And, my second gen. hybrid ceramic and conventional D3 brake project where I have assembled all the parts (I think) I need, but have been postponing since my front pads are still less than half worn. Those are the real world alternatives I have for my time, and I won't invest it in what to me is my own pure time overhead in someone's business decision about an interface change or support. It's of course AW's business to do with as it will, but here it actually has an identifiable very specific content and contributor consequence.

Best to all meantime.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-18-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More on how threaded appeared and its application (for me)

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Hello MP4.2+6.0

Hope all is well,

I am once again very confused about the "Threaded Mode", I know at least on my display that "Linear Mode" shows all posts of a thread as follows, newest reply to first question from the OP top to bottom, so new to old, where as "Hybrid Mode" shows the OP first question on top followed by all replies, so old to newest, now what is confusing to me is that "Threaded Mode" for me only shows the OP's question, and that is all it shows, no replies, not even my own replies, and it has always displayed this way since I joined back in July of 2010, So if one were to only view in "Threaded Mode" how would that viewer know what someone else replied.

And then Kris Hansen just posted this,

"Ah, I should have mentioned, if you have threaded view selected still, you'll want to turn that off, it prevents the linear from showing correctly."

That is even more confusing as I can only choose one at a time, I can not have "threaded view selected" and look at it "linear", it is only one of the three modes, I do not have an option to "turn that off", it is only a choice of one of the three.

What am I missing, and how does or how did your display layout in threaded mode, was it always just the OP's question and that's it, if so how do you see the other posters replies in threaded mode, as I said already, mine would only show OP's question and that is it in threaded mode, and that is all it ever did for me.

Johnny J J
Not sure I can in turn follow this without at least looking at Kris Hansen's post directly (I haven't yet gotten to that). In any case, for me threaded always showed the whole thread history and all the replies in outline form. Thus it might look like:
Problems with interface...help!
Joe, did you try threaded
Nah, Joe's problem is probably in Safari; more...
Joe, go to the Feedback forum and post

Etc.
If you clicked on any line of the outline, you got to that poster's specific reply. In particular, you didn't ever have to open the whole post string and wade through all the replies visually. For anyone who replied at a sub level of the post, you could also stick to just that part of the thread conversation rather than have it get all jumbled up with other offshoots of the same thread. In turn why some of us (like me) rarely used the quote function, since we knew where we were index wise in the overall thread at a glance. As a contributor, you could also then stick to that one angle of some thread if you were comfortable there, while someone else might lead on a different part of the thread subtopics as they develop. Spelling that out, in the example above as a Mac/Safari user I could go int just that thread sub part and either confirm or add to it my own experiences. In a D3 example that would be about control arms, if it went down the Lemforder path, I could chime in on that specific element that those are the OES for the upper arms on the D3. Meanwhile, Mister Bally might be contributing about how to do just a bushing replace with a Harbor Freight press in a parallel subthread topic, while I was just focused on bolt out, bolt in approaches since I don't have a press. And I could see it visually in the outline of the replies and zoom in on it, without wading through the text of all the replies just smashed together chronologically.

All that is now lost for me visually, and why it is kind of like my glasses fell into the ocean. Just imagine going into a library (or the internet) with no more than about a line of info and trying to zoom in on something specific, and then literally having to either read from the back of the book to the front (newest to oldest), or front to back (oldest to newest) but with little other index let alone hot linked table of contents.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-18-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added title; fixed formatting

Quick Reply: AW technical issue/change that has sidelined me, maybe for good.