A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&O tweeters stuck down, but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The.aviator2
I disassembled one tweeter and found one tooth broken. I adjusted the gear so the broken tooth is at the furthest place from the mesh and applied some lubricant. closed everything up. This one is working now.

I did the same thing for the other tweeter except that I found 4-5 teeth broken. I tried to adjust as much as I could. This one is trying to rise but is not. I need to work on it some more. Still, I'm happy I got one working.

I'm not really encouraging people to mess with the mechanism as It could end up worse.
I would imagine the only way to these gears get broken is if there's a foreign object stuck in there while the tweeters close.

You can probably leave the tweeters propped up also.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
I would imagine the only way to these gears get broken is if there's a foreign object stuck in there while the tweeters close.

Actually weight of tweeters brakes the gear. Same as MMI screen. Constantly bouncing on the same gear brakes it when plastic gets a bit brittle.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by halik

Actually, the gears are almost sealed from any outside debris. The lifting and dropping of the relatively heavy speaker causes the teeth to break over time.

I realize I could just keep them up all the time. However, I find myself in love with their artistic motion
Old 12-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default B&O dash speaker issue - Stuck recessed in dash.

Originally Posted by mishar
The cheapest way to do it is to pry them opened and disconnect little motors. That won't trigger any codes.
@mishar

I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but you mentioned disconnecting the motors that raise and lower the speakers - could you (or anyone) advise as to which leads or connectors operate these speakers?

My plan was to disconnect them (if possible) and leave the speakers raised fulltime. Thank In Advance!!

-WS
Old 12-30-2016, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will see once you take the tweeters out. theres is an electric motor in there and it has a wire that directly connects to the circuit board in the tweeter. sounds more complicated than it is. there are 2 metal rods that guide the tweeter up and down. i put a small amount of jb weld on the metal bar so this way the tweeter doesnt come down. very easy to do. dont overthink it. remember.... when removing the tweeter you have to twist (rotate) it or it wont clear the front windshield. there are some youtube videos on it. check em out.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audigy187
you will see once you take the tweeters out. theres is an electric motor in there and it has a wire that directly connects to the circuit board in the tweeter. sounds more complicated than it is. there are 2 metal rods that guide the tweeter up and down. i put a small amount of jb weld on the metal bar so this way the tweeter doesnt come down. very easy to do. dont overthink it. remember.... when removing the tweeter you have to twist (rotate) it or it wont clear the front windshield. there are some youtube videos on it. check em out.
Thanks bro, I recently picked up some star wrenches to reach inside the tweeter cavity. I'll post a new thread with pics of each step of removal and re-installation.

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:42 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Can somebody kindly confirm if this is the complete tweeter including the motor, ready to just plug up and install please...??
Thanking you...

https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...LXYxMC1nYXM%3D
Old 02-19-2018, 03:47 AM

ture is a bit vague, is the reason I ask, just wanna make sure I get the right part...!!
Thanks...
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mixja23
ture is a bit vague, is the reason I ask, just wanna make sure I get the right part...!!
Thanks...
hmm, the distributors phone number is on the website, they will help you verify... because you know returning this stuff is pain, so may as well get the right item and if not, blame it on their advice if it is not what you need.
So you don't hear the motor moving or anything? If you hear it, it may just be a stripped gear.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
hmm, the distributors phone number is on the website, they will help you verify... because you know returning this stuff is pain, so may as well get the right item and if not, blame it on their advice if it is not what you need.
So you don't hear the motor moving or anything? If you hear it, it may just be a stripped gear.
It's hit and miss tbh, the driver side works perfect every time but the passenger side sometimes makes a bit of an effort, sometimes doesn't bother, sometimes gets halfway up then falls down again and once, it even made it all the way up and stayed there...!!!
I've given it poke and a prod here and there and I can get it up so to speak but it won't stay there under its own steam at all now... )':

There's actually quite a few for sale on ebay but they're really expensive for pre-owned so I'd rathe just bite the bullet and buy the new one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-S8-A8-...oAAOSwHYpaS3WL

At least their photo has confirmed the part number that I will receive from audiusaparts..

Quick Reply: B&O tweeters stuck down, but...