A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on the road again

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back on the road again

Three weeks ago I wa out chasing parts for the truck in our A8L and got run off the road. I was entering a short onramp and under hard acceleration to match speeds, some moron just about hit me in the drivers door as he swerved all over the road. In the ensuing evasive action, I managed to clip a embedded drain in the road and destroy both brand new right side tires, damage one rim and have the right side front half shaft blowup both joints. Both joints are in lots of pieces now.

Called around looking for a new or rebuilt shaft. Even Audi had a hard time with this one. They finally found two in the east coast warehouse, but gave me a delivery date of 10-14 business days. A friend suggested Raxles, and they had two on the shelf, with delivery in 3 business days. In the mean time, I ended up in the hospital for a week. Got out Monday night and tackled the changeout on Friday when I felt up to crawling around on the ground. Other than having to chase down a couple of tools that I didn't already have, it went reasonably smoothly. Total time under the car was about 4 hours. Had I been in normal shape, that would have been down to about 1 hour to do the job. The wife agrees that once we get in to the new house and shop, a two post lift is mandatory.

It's nice to have a comfortable and air conditioned vehicle again. The truck goes in for an air conditioner repair late next week.