A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Warning Light

OK.

Few days ago, I started the car and it hesitated a little bit. I immediately checked the battery level on MMI and it was low. I drove it and went back to 100%. No problem.

I have had few incidents with
- Trunk will not open all the way when car is locked and used the remote or
the switch on the trunk. It happened few times and disappeared.
- When I tried to open the door using key less function, not touching the
remote but place my hands underneath the door handle, it did not work.

However, above symptoms went away and all went back to normal.

Today, I had a little errand run and came back to park my car. I stopped the engine and forgot to close the roof. I started the car again, closed the roof but noticed there was a battery warning signal on the dash board.

Checked the battery level and shows 100%. Nothing seems to be wrong as far as driving is concerned. I have not restarted the car but what could have triggered the warning signal to come on? Maybe it is time to change the battery?

Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went out and stated the car, the warning signal is gone... Is my daily lover getting old? I have 72K miles on it. I do not like the new S8's style and that is why I am still driving it. The rear of the D3 is far more attractive than the new one I think.

I LOVE MY S8... I can't picture myself driving an S class or 750LI. I have done them both and got rid of them within less than 2 years. I want to stay with AUDI's.... My youngest one is getting an S3.

S7? I do not see the need for an RS7. How's S7? If I have to betray AUDI, then BMW Alpina B6 is the only thing I like.

My initial goal was to drive my S8 until it has like 150K miles which I have never done in my life and would love to do it with my S8. I love the car....
Old 05-27-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like the battery dying to me. As the battery starts to go, these cars get some funny faults. Also, as the battery charge goes down, nonessential functions get disabled in tiers to conserve power for starting.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by Jack88
Sounds like the battery dying to me. As the battery starts to go, these cars get some funny faults. Also, as the battery charge goes down, nonessential functions get disabled in tiers to conserve power for starting.
If it is a 2007 with original battery, be thankful you got that life out of it. It is way past its prime by law of averages so I would change it. The behavior tends to confirm it, with the power management system cutting in when it is low to shed non-critical loads.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you everyone. I closely monitored the battery... In the morning, it is 70% and when I arrive at work, it is 100%. 30% gets drained over night. I am changing the battery this weekend for sure.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2004 3.00 A8 battery warning

Hi,
Anyone ever have this before.
Drove about 80 miles and got "battery" light on dash, reading on altimiter started dropping, was about 13.2, dropped to 8.00 then all electrics started to turn off ! Eventually Traction control and ABS warnings, gearbox went into Limp mode ,,,,,then everything came back, radio turned on, lights turned on etc and altimiter was back to 13.2 ?
As i did not know the age of the battery, I bought and fitted a new one, no problems for a month of so then, same thing happened again ? just happened again today. Any idea's wpuld be welcome.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pms01
Hi,
Anyone ever have this before.
Drove about 80 miles and got "battery" light on dash, reading on altimiter started dropping, was about 13.2, dropped to 8.00 then all electrics started to turn off ! Eventually Traction control and ABS warnings, gearbox went into Limp mode ,,,,,then everything came back, radio turned on, lights turned on etc and altimiter was back to 13.2 ?
As i did not know the age of the battery, I bought and fitted a new one, no problems for a month of so then, same thing happened again ? just happened again today. Any idea's wpuld be welcome.
Seems like your alternator may be going out. I'd check condition of belt and consider replacing both belt and tensioner if you decide to remove/test/replace the alternator since belt (and tensioner for FSI engines) has to be removed when removing the alternator. Alternator is also water-cooled so there are coolant lines running to it that will need to be disconnected, so make sure you are prepared. I think the Bentley manual has you use a tool to squeeze off the lines to prevent coolant loss.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SS_RTR
Seems like your alternator may be going out. I'd check condition of belt and consider replacing both belt and tensioner if you decide to remove/test/replace the alternator since belt (and tensioner for FSI engines) has to be removed when removing the alternator. Alternator is also water-cooled so there are coolant lines running to it that will need to be disconnected, so make sure you are prepared. I think the Bentley manual has you use a tool to squeeze off the lines to prevent coolant loss.
Thanks for the info, i had a feeling it was the alternator, you just confirmed, need to find a local garage that will entertain looking at it!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Get a genuine rebuilt alternator from Bosch or an Audi Dealer. Even though they are expensive, it is worth it for a car with so many electrical/electronics gadgets.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

FWIW, it has been over 20 years since an alternator died on one of my Audi's. But...when they have died (or fan belt outright broke), it is virtually the only time I have ever gotten the instrument panel changing light staying on. As simple as it seems, the warning light on does seem to be a typical Audi indicator of alternator issue.