A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Repair Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Repair Manual

I am going to purchase a repair manual for my 2004 Audi A8, but before I do I want to know if anyone has any suggestions for the best one. Chilton, Mitchell, AllData etc. I have a vagcom and want one that has good diagnoses procedures, as well as easy to understand repair procedures. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
I am going to purchase a repair manual for my 2004 Audi A8, but before I do I want to know if anyone has any suggestions for the best one. Chilton, Mitchell, AllData etc. I have a vagcom and want one that has good diagnoses procedures, as well as easy to understand repair procedures. Thanks in advance.
I've used the Bentley manual for over ten years while driving my '04 D3 about 200,000 miles. My son has the Bentley for his TT for the past three years . He recently used it to remove his blown engine and to disassemble a replacement so we could install new connecting rods and reassemble it. Also to remove a jackhammered (by a thrown connecting rod) AW D transfer case from the transmission.

I vote Bentley. But, I load them on an old garage laptop. See the sticky at the top of the thread for some discussion on using Bentley manuals. Also search this forum for posts/discussions. Many here swear by Elsa or whatever. I keep my cars so darn long I want a paid for reference, not one I have to renew periodically.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 05-03-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Bentley is better than alldata but I use both. Bentley is relatively complete as manuals go. Sometimes alldata is a little spotty.

BUT, as far as platform they are pretty different. alldata is a browser based web subscription model. Not terribly expensive. Bentley is also not too expensive and a one time purchase. The big issue with Bentley is is is stuck all the way back in Windows XP. Figure there are zero plans to update it to a new OS so it is frozen in time; Audi seems to have moved their technical materials publishing somewhere else so Bentley is just milking it. Still, it seems the best I can find when you really need the most definitive. It also has a much more complete and accessible set of TSBs than alldata seems to, though you need a later copy/license of Bentley to get at the later TSB's. To run it BTW, I just use a now 15 year old old small Sony XP laptop. I have wiped everything on it except Bentley, VCDS and a basic browser to send e mail with scans to my normal laptop. alldata just runs on whatever I want, hence my current Mac. Then I can just use it back and forth with AW or whatever. With Bentley I have to consciously start up the dedicated machine with its antiquated display and all.

There is also ELSA. Honestly I have never cracked it. Tried a few times and got nowhere. Seems to also live in the PC world but post XP--just not what I want to use anymore or invest any new dollars or time in. People talk about using VM's for it and all, but I just go with what already works for me. From my perspective not well explained how to really use it, especially starting from a Mac and no VM's. On the other hand, Bentley has clearly dead ended for newer vehicles. Thus on Q5 I am just using alldata, and need to figure to something for D4 S8. Hopefully one of the things Audi and VW learn from the TDI debacle is they really are not the center of the universe on like a zillion things, documentation included. That means browser and OS independence to me in more modern world. Going forward it means tablet (iOS or Android) too. But, old habits and culture never cease and I suspect figurative tanks would have to roll before they change in serious ways.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-03-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Elsawin 5.1 works perfectly in Mac El Capitan with VMware... Windows 8 or 10

Why don't you just use AW as the source of information. The car is the same as any others, except some complex electronic stuff.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
There is also ELSA. Honestly I have never cracked it. Tried a few times and got nowhere. especially starting from a Mac and no VM's. On the other hand, Bentley has clearly dead ended for newer vehicles.
I can help you to set it up Audi ~ 21GB. 5.1 will go up to 2015 model year.

I used VCDS and Elsa on my Mac Wanna be 14" ultrabook. Lightweight but potent.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-03-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything you will ever need is here as far as manuals are concerned

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9347

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Wow Elsawin 5.2 is on sale

<a href="http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Elsawin-v5-2-2015-2016-Audi-Seat-Skoda-VW-Workshop-Service-Manual-WINDOWS-10-/272225930471?hash=item3f61ee0ce7:g:7~wAAOSwdU1W-rCV">Elsawin 5.2 on DVDs</a>
I'm a little confused on the description: 3 DVDs covers 70GB of data? Dual layer dvds are 8GB max, it's been along time since I've used any DVDs, but I think I remember...

<a href="http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Elsawin-5-2-Audi-Volkswagen-Skoda-Seat-Service-Workshop-Manual-2016-Windows-MAC-/322092578519?hash=item4afe36b6d7:g:nnoAAOSwwpdW7qc-">This one is more logical</a>

I may update to 5.2.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for all the replies

I decided to go with Bentley for $80 bucks. Hopefully I won't regret. I had a Elsa version, but it must have been some type of knock off because it would never store my vehicle information. I had to enter every time I logged in.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where'd you find bentley for $80? Their website has the manual for $130....
Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
<a href="http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Elsawin-v5-2-2015-2016-Audi-Seat-Skoda-VW-Workshop-Service-Manual-WINDOWS-10-/272225930471?hash=item3f61ee0ce7:g:7~wAAOSwdU1W-rCV">Elsawin 5.2 on DVDs</a>
I'm a little confused on the description: 3 DVDs covers 70GB of data? Dual layer dvds are 8GB max, it's been along time since I've used any DVDs, but I think I remember...

<a href="http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Elsawin-5-2-Audi-Volkswagen-Skoda-Seat-Service-Workshop-Manual-2016-Windows-MAC-/322092578519?hash=item4afe36b6d7:g:nnoAAOSwwpdW7qc-">This one is more logical</a>

I may update to 5.2.

Cheers,

Louis
I just found a magnet link. I'll see if I can get it installed tonight.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The Bentley manual is at partsgeek.com

it was 89 with frt

Quick Reply: Best Repair Manual