A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tires for size 255-40R19

Old 08-23-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for size 255-40R19

I had Continental DW summer tires on the D3 and I figured I want to go with an all season tire with a better ride and I decided to switch to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's and those tires a terrible. They are noisier than the summer continentals I had and I think it's because it's a high performance all season. What's the best tire in this size that has very little to no noise and good comfort?? Should I go to the stock Pirelli P6's or is there better?
Ok thank you in advance.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nitto Motivo. Very high treadwear, cheap tire, good quality. I put it on my W12; I wouldn't put something of low quality on it.

I've used/ran the following tires on my A8:

Pilot Sport A/S +
Pilot Sport A/S 2
Pilot Sport A/S 3
Continental DWS
Pirelli P-Zero
Nitto Motivo.

I like the pilot sport a/s that are on my 4.2 A8 right now, very comfortable, no real road noise. Just don't last long and are expensive. The DWS was a great all around tire and had a pretty good price. P-zeros are overpriced and uncomfortable IMO, and the nitto motivo was a sweetspot between all of them!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

We have not had any complaints about noise on the Pilot Sport A/S3 tires but the Pirelli P6 will be much noisier than the Pilot Sport A/S3s. We do get complaints about noise for the P6s all the time.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I have had three sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my A8. This time the 3's. Never have I had a noise issue. I use the Michelin's in the Spring, Summer and Fall but have a set of Michelin X-Ice tires for the snow season. The Pilot A/S tires are good with a dusting of snow but once it is packed, they are not that good traction-wise IMO.

When the Conti DWS tires reach the end of their life, they are awful as far as noise issues. My son experienced this on his TT.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had/have both, DW and Pilot A/S and my experience is just the same as OP's. A/S has quite a bit harsher ride even they are all season tires. More nose too, but compared older A/S to new DW's.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I may buy another set of the Pirelli Verde Green tires. They are quiet, seem to have fine traction and braking. Plus wear rating is 600. And is a high efficiency tire. They do nothing wrong.
But set of tires matching the Falken spare is an option. Both are 200.00/each tires.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Last week I sold an 05 A8 and I put a set of Noble 2 S1 Hankooks for the customer. They are Tireracks highest ranked ultra high performance all season tire as rated buy customers. Everyone says they are super smooth and quiet so I decided I would put a set on my own A8 come winter. So I thought puting them on the customers car would be a way to get to try out a set out before I commited to them on my car.

They were indeed super smooth, quiet tires...and only $220 a piece at the Hankook dealer.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last time I bought new tires for my old D3 they were the Cooper Zeon RS-3A. They were super smooth, great tread wear rating(I believe they are rated for 40K). I had no issues whatsoever in snow with these and they cost me less than $850 installed. I need new ones for my 07 and strongly thinking of going with these again. Consider them if you need all seasons.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Last week I sold an 05 A8 and I put a set of Noble 2 S1 Hankooks for the customer. They are Tireracks highest ranked ultra high performance all season tire as rated buy customers. Everyone says they are super smooth and quiet so I decided I would put a set on my own A8 come winter. So I thought puting them on the customers car would be a way to get to try out a set out before I commited to them on my car.

They were indeed super smooth, quiet tires...and only $220 a piece at the Hankook dealer.
I too am running Nobel 2 all season tires and they are very nice with great ride and very quiet. Handeling is also very good. A very good value IMO. The number one reason I went this route is after 2 sets of Hankook EVO 12 that got less than 20k miles I wanted some that would last. The EVO 12s are excellent otherwise. The Nobel warranty is for 50k miles. I may be making use of that warranty. We will see.

BTW, the Perrelli P7 is getting outstanding reviews and the highest I've seen on tirerack. Maybe worth checking out if they have your size.

Last edited by Galco; 08-24-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

how many miles on your Noble 2s ? My current set of tires aer DWS Contis, they only got 20K and they are worn out, so dont feel too bad about yours. The DWSs are garanteed for 50K but obviously that does not apply to bigass AWD cars. My previous DWSs made it to 40K...dont know why these are different.

So I figure the Noble 2s cant be any worse than these DWSs and the Noble 2s are supposed to be even quietert and smoother than the DWSs. And quiet and smooth is what I crave.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tires for size 255-40R19