A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Dash problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Dash problem

All,

at the risk of entering a new thread that will go unanswered, I am asking anyway. So, after a 2 day drive back from FL where I picked up the car and almost 2 weeks here in Dallas, I think I have covered the entire car looking for flaws. There is one that's nagging at my retentive nature. The leather dash has lost its adhesion in a couple spots where the hump of the instrument cluster meets the flat part of the dash. Obviously this is caused by the sun in Florida which is no better and maybe even worse in TX. I am looking at advice in regards to removing the dash. I found an old thread that discusses the fact that Gina had to have hers removed to find the culprit that was causing her car to smell. Anyway, that thread doesn't really talk too much about the difficulty in removing just the dash. My thinking is that if I can get the dash out, I can take it to an auto upholster and have the leather pulled off and re-glued. Am I over simplifying this? Lets assume I am not and its that easy, I found another thread that seems to indicate that the dash is actually permanently affixed to the aluminum frame that its built around. Is this right? Anyway, looking for some guidance here as this bubbling dash wont stay this way while I own this car. Its too nice otherwise to have this flaw. Ya, you gotta be looking for it, but I know its there and that ain't gonna work for me.
Hunter
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Car stereo shop

Originally Posted by hunterp27
All,

at the risk of entering a new thread that will go unanswered, I am asking anyway. So, after a 2 day drive back from FL where I picked up the car and almost 2 weeks here in Dallas, I think I have covered the entire car looking for flaws. There is one that's nagging at my retentive nature. The leather dash has lost its adhesion in a couple spots where the hump of the instrument cluster meets the flat part of the dash. Obviously this is caused by the sun in Florida which is no better and maybe even worse in TX. I am looking at advice in regards to removing the dash. I found an old thread that discusses the fact that Gina had to have hers removed to find the culprit that was causing her car to smell. Anyway, that thread doesn't really talk too much about the difficulty in removing just the dash. My thinking is that if I can get the dash out, I can take it to an auto upholster and have the leather pulled off and re-glued. Am I over simplifying this? Lets assume I am not and its that easy, I found another thread that seems to indicate that the dash is actually permanently affixed to the aluminum frame that its built around. Is this right? Anyway, looking for some guidance here as this bubbling dash wont stay this way while I own this car. Its too nice otherwise to have this flaw. Ya, you gotta be looking for it, but I know its there and that ain't gonna work for me.
Hunter
Most good car stereo installers can pull it. The one I used had no issue getting the parts out for MMI gear swap, and pulled the door panels to replace the drivers window controller. They had never seen a D3 before doing the work.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Check this tread, especially linked pictures.

I would go to an upholster with car and ask. They should have better technology than taking it all apart. May be injection of some adhesive? Dash Botox or something.