A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth phone module retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:00 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by silkworm
Although this thread is rather old, I can confirm, for those who may have an interest in this retrofit, that Motorola phone controller located under the carpet IS connected to the MOST ring. It is enclosed in a black box which has a gasket around the wiring loom, so there is no risk of damaging the controller in case water gets there (I am more concerned about the immo in this case, which is not protected by any box).

I am interested in this retrofit myself. The wires you mentioned are already there, in the 42-pin connector, so it seems it's almost plug and play - you only need to replace the connector along with the new controller, right?
Yes. you simply put them in the pin positions in the new 54 pin plug,

OLD - NEW
33 - 14 - Diagnostics
42 - 11 - MIC +
41 - 12 - MIC -
15 - 10 - Terminal 31 (or Earth to the rest of us)
16 - 2 - Terminal 31
35 - 1 - Terminal 30 (or +12V for real people)

Job done.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Misha helped me through list last year and it works fantastic. Please note that in the '04's MOST was not used for the OnStar module. You need to verify by your VIN number or go ahead and take out the driver seat and roll up the carpet to visually verify. MOST was not available for me. I ordered the MOST fiber and connectors from a supplier in China: MOST Fiber-optic Cable, Widely Used for BMW, Audi and Benz (MOST-XXXXXX) - China MOST Fiber-optic cable, HWAYING just ask to purchase a sample. You'll need to buy 9 ft. and all of the connectors to make up the connection to close the MOST ring. I used the connection from the CD player since it was more convenient.

Cheers
Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am interested in this retrofit myself. The wires you mentioned are already there, in the 42-pin connector, so it seems it's almost plug and play - you only need to replace the connector along with the new controller, right?
Right. You also need Bluetooth Module. If you are interested PM me, I have one spare.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2004 A8L has the onstar module which is analog and can not be used since onstar went to digital. Is anyone aware of how to get my onstar switched over to digital so I can buy the subscription? Also, I want bluetooth on my car and do not feel comfortable trying to do it myself. Is there anyone in Atlanta, GA that is comfortable doing this for me and how much would you charge parts and labor? Thank you.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would have liked to mount OnStar on my car too. However, even if I could manage to get a subscription, I read that the satellites are switching off the transmitter when they are not on the desired location, which is US and the surrounding area, so... bummer.

Originally Posted by mishar
Right. You also need Bluetooth Module. If you are interested PM me, I have one spare.
Thank you. Actually, I wanted the 'plain' phone upgrade (even if it may be obsolete) and not the Bluetooth upgrade, but you talked me into it in another thread. Right now I am bidding one on ebay; if someone will outbid me, then I will consider buying the one you have.

I am wondering if it will fit in the sealed box where the standard (phone) controller was.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I can't say for sure since I didn't have Motorola phone but OnStar module, but I believe that Bluetooth is smaller than both. Only part that may need some attention is Bluetooth antenna that sticks out a bit.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am wondering if it will fit in the sealed box where the standard (phone) controller was.
Sure will. Antenna and all. I placed foam in mine to secure it also.

Since the MOST and wires for the phone were already in that box under the carpet, It was an easy thing to simply place the Bluetooth instead of the Motorola module.

Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello again. Long time no see

I managed to get a phone (4F0910393) cheaper that its regular price.
Strangely, this phone has a battery that starts with '4E...' and the battery cover also starts with '4E...'

Judging by these codes, I was sure that this phone will be compatible with 4F Audi A6 and 4E Audi A8 (which are on the same generation), but I saw that it was mounted mostly on 4G Audi A6 and 4H Audi A8.

However, I thought that, judging by the part number, there should be 4Fs and 4Es manufactured near their production EOL that had these phones mounted.

Then I did some research and I found this (which can also be found in 'A6 4F' section of the site).

So, I'm sure it can be retrofitted, I just don't know what I need.
It is specified, though, on that site, that the retrofit is only for cars with the PR-No. 9ZW. So I searched for this option on the internet and I found that 9ZW should be the 'Audi Bluetooth High' option. Then I searched for 'Bluetooth High' and I found this site with got me confused... but I learned from there that the retrofit could be possible on MMI 2G.

I am sure I must replace the phone module, but what will be the right part number?
So far I only found what seems to be a compatible bracket (I found it on a spare armrest) - PN 4E0035707.

Can anyone help me with that?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am wondering if '4E0862335' Bluetooth module for Audi A8 (with 2007/2008 software 4E091336K or -L) wil work... or maybe the '4F1862335' which has SAP and two FAKRA connectors instead of just one (for Bluetooth antenna and GSM antenna).

The latter one may be paired with the handset, because the Audi handset it's just a 'Bluetooth earphone'.

Last edited by silkworm; 06-05-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are a couple of different ones that work
The Bluetooth module or Bluetooth with rsap
Mine has got 4f1901336c at the moment

Quick Reply: Bluetooth phone module retrofit