A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Brake light switch

How do I access the switch? I crawled into the floorboard to change and could not feel it on the brake petal arm.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
How do I access the switch? I crawled into the floorboard to change and could not feel it on the brake petal arm.
Another reason to buy the service manual for this vehicle. See the sticky at the top of The D3 index thread for more handy tips to help you.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe because thats not where its located
Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ouch!

Originally Posted by Shamoye Lewis
I have a manual. It is the el cheapo dvd type. It is next to useless.
I had assumed the brake light switch rode the brake petal arm. Looked under the hood also.
Guess I need to dig down into the manual to locate it. I purchased one a year ago. Knowing they fail it is good to swap at 11 years and 89,000 miles.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had assumed the brake light switch rode the brake petal arm. Looked under the hood also.
Guess I need to dig down into the manual to locate it. I purchased one a year ago. Knowing they fail it is good to swap at 11 years and 89,000 miles.
The Robert Bentley DVD manual has the procedure. The switch is part of the brake pedal arm assembly. The driver side knee airbag/ cover panel needs to be removed. The service manual has the complete procedure.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant its not located where you're looking you need to drop the bottow of the dash..... put some work into it.... do it right!!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hey G-man, how ya been? Shamu is right, you'll have to drop the dash, which is also a good time to replace the low-$ compressor relay. And test the airbags (yellow connectors = keep away from live wires)duh.

Funny, Shamoye; that's where mine is!

Not Bentley? Use the search function in Bentley; it'll pull up lots of TSB and other (misplaced IMO) info.

A word to anyone finding this thread in the future: the switch self-adjusts to its max compressed position as you install it, and cannot be reset. So when you're unpacking the little $20 troublemaker, do not "futz" with it; if you push the plunger in and hear a ratcheting sound, it's toast. (I imagine it is fixable theoretically; my time is worth more than the 3 hours labor to rehab the switch).

I meant its not located where you're looking you need to drop the bottow of the dash..... put some work into it.... do it right!!
Shamoye, I always want to kid you that living in NYC and driving an A8, at least you get your money's worth for the insane parking fees. My cousin lives in Manhattan and parks a half hour away. $650 a month IIRC. and she drives the car once or twice a year - to go skiing. and it's a subaru. (intentional lower case, hanging my head in shame). They probably park two "compacts" in one space and climb out the sunroof!

Peace
Tom
Old 05-24-2016, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default We don"t need no stinkin manual...... ;)

The location of the brake light switch, no manual needed.....

As Tom stated it is a one time use, the new one may look different as the was a change, but it's total length is the same, and it is about a quarter turn to install, I just replaced the switch in the Bentley after I had installed the full interior, the switch stuck on, just take your time.

Attached Thumbnails Brake light switch-brake-light-switch.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I always keep a few in my "parts department" as the one in my '04 A8 and '01 Beetle break every so often. Not sure if my son has replaced the one in his TT. I Always replace the A8 switch when I'm working in the area.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 05-25-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just had a switch go in the TT Coupe yesterday. My son had to pull fuse #13.

Needs to drive 1 hour back to our place - I told him to not worry about it and use the ol' hand signal for stopping.

Quick Reply: Brake light switch