A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't seem to justify $60k more to upgrade to a TDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

In terms of performance, I see the 3.0 TDI and the 3.0t as more or less equals. Neither of them will make me happy, but I could see someone preferring the diesel over the gasoline V6. Because of the torque, yes I'm bringing up the torque again, in normal driving it gets around without much fuss and no need to rev. It has characteristics that better suit specific driving styles. For me, I love a V8, because to me it performs best in all situations. The cost is lower economy.

The supercharged gas V6 offers a bit better flat out performance, but the TDI is more usable in the lower rev range. If the owner isn't inclined to put their foot down, the behavior of the TDI may be more appealing. It's not better, just different. The kind of different some people like. I like scotch, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate someone else preferring a beer.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I just took an A8L TDI to Carlisle.. First of all, they are not slow. They'll cruise at 100 all day long, and still get 35mpg.

Having said that, yes, if you plant your foot and run it through the gears, you do notice the power trailing off above 3k. but if you just short shift it, and keep it in the fat low end, it's really great. And the ultra smooth calm and quiet nature of the engine is absolutely phenomenal.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
With regards me coming to the UK, I've come the other way. I'm a Brit living in the US and much prefer having large NA gas engines and cheap gas over essentially being forced into having to drive a diesel due to the market conditions. Big NA gas engines are just not a viable option in any way shape or form due to running costs in Europe which made me sad.
Yea fuel prices here are no joke and I curse when I fill my tank up.. but then smile when I drive away
Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Went to look at the D4...

I love the massage seats, really massage with rollers and stuff. The car is so quiet and new, of course. The trunk is smaller, shallower than the D3. The tool box no longer there, they're under the spare tire (donut one too). The seats are extremely comfortable. Fully loaded with blind spot, adaptive cruise, stop and go. The rear A/C control is on the arm rest, if we have 2 kids and mother in-law in the back, they can't use the control for heated seats. This is ridiculous, designed for 4 passengers only. Motorized side passenger screens, that's nice. It seems to be wider than D3, it may not fit well with our Q7 in the same garage. I wish the heated seat controls were the same as the D3.
The wife looked at the features and didn't want to drive the car. It's a NO for sure, she doesn't want to try anything if she knows she's not going to buy it. She's not "tire kicker" type like me.
She didn't like the trunk, she shops at COSTCO and the trunk doesn't seem to make it.she didn't like to leave her mom at home on a cold weather trips,she thinks the design for 4 passengers was so stupid. She said if I want the massage seats so badly, buy a portable one from sharper image and put it on for $200 max. She will pay for the gas for the next 5 years... or the timing belt breaks whichever comes first... then find the car with real 5 passengers... case closed.
On the way back, the free way was clear of people from the holidays... the 2006 D3 is still so smooth and nice, I set the cruise @70 and the mpg was 26-30 all the way.
Sometimes, I think Audi engineers don't design cars for family of 5, well they've just lost a sale. What's wrong with the AC controls in the rear console?
I do love the logic of the ladies...

Cheers,

Louis