A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car level and headlight range lights warning on

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car level and headlight range lights warning on

so today i had an indie garage replace my oil cooler pipe coolant leak. he had to take the battery off as he needed to take the alternator out and a bunch of other stuff. and after the work done i have both the headlight range(up&down) light come on and also the amber car with up&down arrow light come on. it was late and he told me that it will prolly go away because he disconnected the battery. well it hasnt hence for my thread now. the air suspension works fine and im able to select all 4 settings. one thing i noticed tho is that the headlights will not auto level when i start the car.

can anybody suggest where and what i could check to see why its throwing those 2 errors. i got a friend of mine scan it with vagcom and reset the errors but it just comes back right away.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When it was scanned, what exactly were the codes that came up? I had this happen after I changed my battery out last winter, and the code was for one of the level sensors. Cleared it, coded the battery, and it went away.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
When it was scanned, what exactly were the codes that came up? I had this happen after I changed my battery out last winter, and the code was for one of the level sensors. Cleared it, coded the battery, and it went away.
thanks...i got it scanned right after the error came up after the mechanic did the work. the code was something like "left front level sensor" for the headlights and "level module" for the chassis. i forgot the exact codes. my buddy was in a hurry too so we really did not look into it. we just tried clearing it but then it came back.

so how do you actually code the battery? does it have to be done everytime disconnecting batteries?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

A guess is the level sensor on the suspension in the same area he worked one it got dislocated or broken. Look for it on front lower arm on US passenger side assuming he was working there. Check drivers side too given what you remember code wise.

You don't recode the battery except when you change it, and even then many have skipped it and lived to talk about it later. About only thing I need to do when I disconnect it is reset the date. Oddly it can usually hold the time, but date ends up somewhat off.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
A guess is the level sensor on the suspension in the same area he worked one it got dislocated or broken. Look for it on front lower arm on US passenger side assuming he was working there. Check drivers side too given what you remember code wise.

You don't recode the battery except when you change it, and even then many have skipped it and lived to talk about it later. About only thing I need to do when I disconnect it is reset the date. Oddly it can usually hold the time, but date ends up somewhat off.
ok thanks...this is what i also think. ill check later and report what i find.