A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing wheels and tires on my A8L

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

66.56 to 57.1 is the hub centric ring you need, and by the way I would not recommend driving it much without them.

Last edited by 03_AR_CO; 10-05-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: adding material
Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Thanks, should I get the aluminum or how do they come in?

I'm ordering today, I should have it by the weekend.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Vibration at 45MPH without hub centric ring...

I can't believe the hub centric rings are so important. Anyhow, they're on ordered.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Got the hub centric rings and they did work wonder...

Like they say, you learn something new every day. I've never changed wheels on any of my cars for anything other than OEM wheels specifically for mine. I really don't like adapters and stuff to fit something onto something else like Q5 wheels 66.6mm center bored to A8L 57.1mm center bored. Anyhow, $9 did the trick although my wife still insists that there are still slight vibrations, I don't feel anything. Anyhow, thanks to 03_AR_CO, I got the right ones and everything is working much better than before.
Lesson learned, wheels have center bored different sizes although from Audi, same bolt patterns. Always get the wheels made for the car, with the right center bored because adapters will have tolerance and they will not work perfectly, at least for me from now on.

BTW, didn't have to pay $29.9 for TPMS reset recommended by Wheel Works, they work right out of the box.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-13-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Every measure of a factory made part have tolerance. Making parts to the exact measures is impossible. That includes factory wheels, where casting or forging tolerances are much bigger than milling ones (hub center diameter). Hubcentric rings tolerances may change eccentricity both ways, but far less than the eccentricity of a cast/forged wheel. Talking about tires tolerances has no sense in this context.

So, now and forever hubcentric rings are OK. Even plastic ones.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Mishar, I do feel much better and my wife hasn't complained

in the last few days driving it, to me, it's so smooth and comfortable with the new wheels and tires, quiet too.

While the car was jacked up, I squirt silicon like crazy onto all the bushings (curve arms, u-shape on stabilizer, top, bottom) and the suspension noises are gone... amazing.

Cheers and love the ride,

Louis
Old 10-14-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good solution on the hub centric rings and the bushings. The wheels look good on your A8, BTW.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, they don't look bad, especially when they're new...

Galco,
I'm planning to go down to LA for a memorial of a friend on the weekend of 10/2/14. They all live around the Montrose, Hollywood area. I'll stay at an Inn somewhere around there. I'll bring the rims down for you, so let me know if you're available that weekend.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I assume you meant 11/2 for the memorial (sorry to hear of your loss). I will be around that weekend, if you drive down on Friday 10/31, that would be best for me; otherwise we'll figure out a meeting time on Sat or Sunday. I will resend you my phone number via a PM so you have it handy. Very much appreciate you bringing them with you!!!

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll definitely drive down on Friday... If you stay up late

Originally Posted by Galco
(sorry to hear of your loss).
Thanks!
then I'll call you when I settled the family in wherever we stay so you can pick them up.
Yes, I had dinner with my old friend (like my father) last year... his kidneys were gone but still healthy with dialysis... A few weeks ago, I got a called from his wife, emergency, prostate cancer stage 4, PSA was 850, they pulled the plug, no dialysis, nothing, just painkiller to help him go painlessly. I went down to visit him right away, he called my name, stared at me for a long time, his mind was good, but the body was in pain (to the bones) and dying... He was the one that showed me what Hollywood life is like, movie businesses, Scientology... I missed Hollywood.
The moral of this post is:

- Have physical check up every year and takes every test (yes it does cost more)- He's stubborn, the thought he's healthy, only go to the doctor when in pain, the kidney failure could be prevented - the prostate cancer should be caught years ago, he could have live many more years.

- If I know I'm going to die in a week or 2, I'll move to Oregon to be put to sleep ASAP, save money and pain for the family.

- Many people in CA especially in Southern CA take care of their cars or their dogs better than they take care of themselves. They would have their cars detailed monthly, but never have check up yearly or their teeth deep clean every 6 months... They would take their dogs to the vets and grooming but never have a massage or spa themselves.

I've lost a dear friend so fast, it shocked me. I was glad I drove that night down to see him before he went into coma (due to painkiller).

Cheers,

Louis