A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close Trunk With Remote Experiment

Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I did it exactly as you instructed - I take the green/white from the trunk latch - the other end of it is plugged into the Convenience Comfort Module, and I use that and ground to power the coil, and I take the green/yellow from the open/close button pin 2 - the other end which goes to the motor, and I connect that to the NO side of the relay with the other side going to ground. So it's identical to your setup, just the other end of the wires.

So pushing the button in the cabin closes it, and holding down the trunk button on the remote closes it too. I didn't do much experiments to see what it would do if the trunk were open for a while. It wouldn't close from the remote initially but i'd been sitting in the open trunk for 2 hours so I don't know if there's a time after you open it where the remote ceases to close. I'll do some experiments, but first I need to do this on the Q7.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have to say though, in retrospect, waking up this morning and trying to move my back and arms, it probably would have been loads easier to leave it all in the decklid like you did. It was slightly more difficult to take that trim apart, of course, but it was also difficult to remove the connectors and tap into the wires on that side. The cramped conditions offset the decklid trim removal IMHO. So, in my opinion probably easier to do this mod in the decklid itself, w/r/t comfort and ease of access to components. Easier to do the mod in the battery compartment w/r/t removing trim.

So, pick your poison. If you're nimble and have relatively small hands, I'd do the battery compartment to avoid messing with the trim and potentially breaking those tabs and messing that up.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default The Q7 is different - I opened it up and put it back

Originally Posted by born_slippy
I'll do some experiments, but first I need to do this on the Q7.
I GOT IT - The latch = convenient module wire; The switch = the motor wire
Which wire in the battery compartment is the same as the GREEN at the latch? Which wire in the battery compartment is the same as the Green at the switch? I need to find out to open my trunk with my foot.

I need to close the Q7 also. Let me know what you find out about the wiring.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-07-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok! so no other questions? You get what I did?

I took a quick look around the Q7 and it looks as though the same thing will hold true, it's going to be much easier to pull the trim off the liftgate and do it at the latch/button. After wiring in my own trailer lighting and having the whole back end off of the Q7 I can say the liftgate trim is not too bad, you just have to start at the top near the hinge and work back to the latch.

Last edited by born_slippy; 06-07-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know how to pull the top trim and the side off...

I don't want to break any taps. Elsawin doesn't show very clearly. If you pull the trim off before, please take the pictures and let me know. I only pulled the lower trim, and snap clips and looked inside the latch and the switch... The wiring on the switch is different (although same 4 pins) and the latch different too (although same 3 pins).

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

OOoooooh on the Q7, sorry, I haven't taken the liftgate apart yet, I'm only thinking of when I did it last. Yeah I'll take pictures and post in the Q7 forum probably. I honestly can't imagine they'd use a hugely different latch, it's got to have the same pinout.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:52 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did this on the weekend. Success! It is very handy

Mike
Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Which way did you do? Trunk lid or battery compartment?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I put a small MR 301-12 relay into the trunk lid. The relay is the size of square Lego brick. So I loomed it into the factory wiring harness to be a permanent component.

Mike
Old 09-20-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Awesome upgrade - Thanks!

Originally Posted by mcs
If I had to guess,

I would say the two pins on the latch green and brown are the relay coil,

Then the actual NO pins of the relay would be the two middle pins on the button for the trunk close plug.

The relay would energise when the remote activates the latch, and trick the car into thinking the button has been pressed (which normally joins those two pins closed by the relay)

Mike
Mike & Louis, thanks for this very practical mod. Makes things much more convenient. Finished this off this morning. Did Louis' original install option of behind the trunk lid liner as it easy to work on - at shoulder height rather than leaning into the battery bay. Another thanks to Louis for the detailed instruction for liner removal (search trunk liner removal). Those screws behind the interior close handle weren't obvious....

This sort of effort by fellow owners makes these communities most helpful!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Close Trunk With Remote Experiment