A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerning Engine Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Concerning Engine Codes (Solved)

Hello everyone,

I was just about to leave back to my university when I decided to scan the car and found 2 very concerning engine codes:

16730 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G163)
P0346 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
17755 - Camshaft Position Sensor 2 (G163) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P1347 - 002 - Incor. Correl. - Intermittent

Did a little bit of googling to find it can mean a variety of things. Took 3 times to clear the codes and when they were finally cleared they didn't come back. However it did say on the website I read that it takes time for them to show up again. With that I found some other information about getting values from the measurement block:

0 /min Engine Speed (G28)
0.0 % Adaptation (Partial) Bank 1 Sensor 1
0.0 % Adaptation (Partial) Bank 2 Sensor 1
-1.0°KW Phase Position Bank 1 Intake
0.0°KW Phase Position Bank 2 Intake

It saved as the engine speed of zero but it was working fine. I contacted Audi who recently "fixed" the timing belt job for the second time and they are suppose to be helping me with getting a loaner. My father is going to haul it over to them some time this week. Just wondering what everyone thinks. Finally I did notice yesterday it started to run rough. I am confused and highly upset, mainly because all the issues with the engine has possibly been the result of Audi dealerships.

Last edited by jlbell; 12-10-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

See this thread going on today with lots of replies and info.: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...001-a-2892778/

Note your codes seem to be very similar. Put aside the discussion in that thread about the inside of motor appearance and the electrical/shock issue and just focus on the codes. On top of that, you have a clearly wrong sensor value if it says Engine Speed = 0 when motor is obviously running.

As I noted in the other thread, posters with an issue with the crank sensor often report they have no codes specific to the sensor, yet have an issue. I've never had any issue with the sensor back to my prior 4.2, but I am recalling years of board history on this and the pretty consistent (and somewhat elusive) theme of no direct codes to the crank sensor. The sensor does fail, so it could just be coincidence rather than some prior work screw up. To be clear, it could be on the cam sensor side too, but in this case you have the additional confirming diagnostic (faulty engine speed reading) really pointing to that crank sensor to my mind.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-01-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1
Old 12-01-2015, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
See this thread going on today with lots of replies and info.: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...001-a-2892778/

Note your codes seem to be very similar. Put aside the discussion in that thread about the inside of motor appearance and the electrical/shock issue and just focus on the codes. On top of that, you have a clearly wrong sensor value if it says Engine Speed = 0 when motor is obviously running.

As I noted in the other thread, posters with an issue with the crank sensor often report they have no codes specific to the sensor, yet have an issue. I've never had any issue with the sensor back to my prior 4.2, but I am recalling years of board history on this and the pretty consistent (and somewhat elusive) theme of no direct codes to the crank sensor. The sensor does fail, so it could just be coincidence rather than some prior work screw up. To be clear, it could be on the cam sensor side too, but in this case you have the additional confirming diagnostic (faulty engine speed reading) really pointing to that crank sensor to my mind.
If you read the original post I mentioned how whenever I recorded the values from the advanced measurement block I had shut down the engine. That why the engine speed senor (G28) was at zero. Sorry if it may have been vague.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Correct, I couldn't follow that from earlier post. Still similar reaction--code set overall says to me to also suspect crank sensor, not just cam sensor set up. This part specifically when it (abbreviated) references incorrect correlation and on prior line had also flagged the Engine Speed (Crank) Sensor:
17755 - Camshaft Position Sensor 2 (G163) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P1347 - 002 - Incor. Correl. - Intermittent
Crank sensor won't commonly report its own issues codes, so either you back into it like the kinds of codes you or the other poster each have, or you start getting intermittent no start or cut out issues due to temperature fluctuations affecting sensor apparently. Again could be either cam or crank side, but don't dismiss crank side by any means. Also, do a Google search on codes BTW, especially the VCDS wiki; I am just going by interpreting what the code text description contains.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-02-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jbell,

The other thread referenced in here is mine. Since it looks like we'll both be trying to figure out a similar code, let's make sure to post back and see what the resolution(s) are so we can help each other out. I'd love to hear what Audi says!

Can you go into more detail as to why Audi had to come back in and fix their own timing belt job?

Edit to add:

At least you're getting strictly a Camshaft sensor code in addition to your Cam/Crank correlation code.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

The issue was resolved according to Audi New Orleans. My service adviser stated that the timing belt tensioner was faulty causing the belt to have slack and cause bank 2 to throw the code. After we got off the phone I was concerned about the timing belt being damaged or possibly internal engine parts. This concern was resolved whenever I called my independent mechanic and he said both of my concerns were not to worry about.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jlbell
... the timing belt tensioner was faulty causing the belt to have slack and cause bank 2 to throw the code.
Timing belt always have a slack when engine is off. Bank 2 would throw the code only if the belt jumped a tooth or two. So this "resolve" brings just a new concern.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Timing belt always have a slack when engine is off. Bank 2 would throw the code only if the belt jumped a tooth or two. So this "resolve" brings just a new concern.
If you don't mind being more specific that would be great. I just want to make sure I have all the specific details to go over with the service manager and/or shop foreman before I accept my car. This is to verify the car is in correct working order. To be honest, I am about to my limit with so called "quality" Audi service.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jlbell
If you don't mind being more specific that would be great. I just want to make sure I have all the specific details to go over with the service manager and/or shop foreman before I accept my car. This is to verify the car is in correct working order. To be honest, I am about to my limit with so called "quality" Audi service.
What I was saying is that his statement is BS. So ask him to be more specific.

Quick Reply: Concerning Engine Codes