A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct pinch bolt?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Correct pinch bolt?

Just want to make sure this is the correct pinch bolt that secures the upper control arms to the knuckle? I know it says it is, but would like confirmation from the AW gurus please and thank you.
Is it a grade 8 bolt?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_S8..._All/ES260812/
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably yes, but this one is for sure and it is cheaper.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

As I'm guessing Misha's reply is showing, do not be under the misperception ECS is cheaper for "dealer" parts. Typically the discount dealers are cheaper at the most common 20% off. Sometimes less for high volume parts already priced down by Audi, sometimes up to 30% but not common. ECS is often only a few percent off; they still have to make margin on top of dealer they still usually will source from and even if they try to arbitrage across countries for what they buy, most US dealer prices are cheaper than in other countries.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

indeed. I do like that ECS describes the location and physical attributes of the part...so then i go on audiusaparts and order from there by PN
Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Question about both of those bolts...they are described as lower control arm bolts...I need hte pinch bolt that secures the upper control arms to the spindle...I do not see it listed on the dealer websites in the diagrams...
Any idea what size they are?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
Question about both of those bolts...they are described as lower control arm bolts...I need hte pinch bolt that secures the upper control arms to the spindle...I do not see it listed on the dealer websites in the diagrams...
Any idea what size they are?
Instead of asking here, just pick up phone and call one of the on line dealers. The web isn't for everything. Most parts I order are actually by phone after getting general price sense where expensive. As part of my account audiusaparts.com has my VIN's on file, so easy to talk through parts look up with them.

If you are trying to buy a pinch bolt from non dealer source, I wouldn't bother. Specific size obviously, hardened, likely corrosion treated. Not a part I would take a chance with from some Ace hardware bolt sourced from who knows where.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

correct, I do want the OEM bolt. Get too hard of a bolt and you wont get the right stretch on the threads when using OEM torque spec. Ill give em a ring and see what they confirm.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

correct, I do want the OEM bolt. Get too hard of a bolt and you wont get the right stretch on the threads when using OEM torque spec. Ill give em a ring and see what they confirm.
FWIW, torques involved here are not stretch. In front suspension only the CV axle center bolt and (IIRC) the caliper bracket to hub bolts are stretch. You do want the original coatings on them as well as a new nut. The combo of those seems to net to how it stays secure over life of use. As many have experienced with pinch bolt, it actually stays "too secure" when it quasi fuses in the bolt hole. Hence I also apply anti seize compound carefully along the shaft, though not the threads.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

really?? caliper bracket to hub? I was planning on taking my rotors to get surfaced, PO replaced the pads but they still have a bit of jutter to them and can see incinsient pattern on the rotors. they dont have a lip so dont want to replace them. Caliper has to come off to get rotor off...good to know will order a few sets of those bolts then...
Old 08-30-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default No lip is a good sign.

really?? caliper bracket to hub? I was planning on taking my rotors to get surfaced, PO replaced the pads but they still have a bit of jutter to them and can see incinsient pattern on the rotors. they dont have a lip so dont want to replace them. Caliper has to come off to get rotor off...good to know will order a few sets of those bolts then...
If the rotors are OEM with no lip they either were turned when pads were changed or low miles. There usually is a good lip by 50,000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Correct pinch bolt?