Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 136010

Default "Crunch" or squeak from front suspension

Recently, my A8 has started to make a crunching/ squeaking sound. It is only pronounced under low speed compression, and only does it from a "cold" start (it's worst if the car sits at the airport for a day or two or three, but once I drive a few miles it pretty much completely goes away). It makes noise over a low speed speed bump, or dip (thus low speed compression), but I can't make it make noise by making hard S-turns at 30MPH, loading up each side, and it doesn't make any noise when hitting manholes.

Given that it goes away with a little bit of "use," I'm thinking a bushing somewhere, but I haven't had a chance to go dig around yet.

There doesn't seem to be any noticeable play in anything from a driver perspective, but obviously, something is worn.
bmwm750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Account #: 26081

Default Try the usual:

in this order:

1. Front upper control arm inner bushings-- look for distortion, cracking and ultimately tear out. This is basically a when, not if, on any of the heavier Audi's w/ this general design. if you are at 60-75K miles, likely visibly worn by then.

2. Lower links that tie front roll bar to lower suspension -- look for distortion and elongation in bushing area. Will wear some w/ miles.

3. Rubber bushings on roll bar where it bolts up to body; can last a long time, but if it gets oil/grease soaked or some other fluke, could explain your noise.

4. Most anything left in suspension; can spray any selective suspect areas w/ silicone and see if creaking subsides; if so, you have your suspect part.
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt)
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381

+1

But I would almost bet that #1 is the culprit.
mishar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 188404

It's the hood seal in cold weather, pop your hood one stage and drive and listen. lube it.
it's the body flex
JohnnyJ A6Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 110923

For me it is #3. I just douse it in silicone spray every 6 months and it stops. You have to buy a whole new ARB to cure it as the bushes are bonded on.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 176342

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
For me it is #3. I just douse it in silicone spray every 6 months and it stops. You have to buy a whole new ARB to cure it as the bushes are bonded on.
I have this on both my A8's. Mind going into more detail exactly where it is/ where to spray. Possibly a picture if possible?
Brozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 104519

I had the same issue (winter only) when passing over a depression a few blocks from my home on cold mornings. Kind of a "scrunching" sound that happened every day but only when the car was cold. The dealer would lubricate the upper control arm bushings when I would complain and that seemed to diminish the problem. A deeper fix would be expensive I'm sure. It was (no longer have the S 8) frustrating when that was the only car I owned that would "scrunch" when going over that same depression. McBucky
McBucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 110923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozee View Post
I have this on both my A8's. Mind going into more detail exactly where it is/ where to spray. Possibly a picture if possible?
Sadly, you have to remove the plastic undertray, then find the roll bar, a shiny black ~30mm thick bar across the width of the car behind the front wheels. There are bushes as in the photo below. I use silicone spray in an aerosol with a straw and try and get it between the rubber and metal in the join.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D3...-/130592433684
Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBucky View Post
I had the same issue (winter only) when passing over a depression a few blocks from my home on cold mornings. Kind of a "scrunching" sound that happened every day but only when the car was cold. The dealer would lubricate the upper control arm bushings when I would complain and that seemed to diminish the problem. A deeper fix would be expensive I'm sure. It was (no longer have the S 8) frustrating when that was the only car I owned that would "scrunch" when going over that same depression. McBucky
That dealer is crook. Lubricating busted bushings takes care of a sound for some time but doesn't repair anything.
mishar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 136010

My guess was the upper control arm bushings, but I had thought about sway bar bushings being a possible idea. I had not thought of the hood, however....

I'm off for a few days after this week, so I guess it'll be time to go look and play....
bmwm750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 2007, a8, a8l, audi, bar, cold, creaking, crunching, hood, noise, plastic, seal, squeaking, suspension, sway