A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup holder solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cup holder solution

Hello, Has anyone else gotten tired of holding drinks in the lame factory cup holders and paranoid that they would spill into the MMI controls? I have, so I have attempted to do something about. I have built a dual cup holder that fits perfectly into the center console cell phone tray. I have tested them with large fast food cups and one liter bottles while driving spirited with no spills (not saying it's impossible). After driving around with it installed this summer I am more relaxed with drinks in the car.
Attached Images   

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-31-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Links to other sites for sale items not permitted in the forums. Please use the AW Classifieds.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I like the concept. That would be great in the normal cup holder cavity. My passengers use the arm rest and I don't like it in the up position.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FTO1978
Hello, Has anyone else gotten tired of holding drinks in the lame factory cup holders and paranoid that they would spill into the MMI controls? I have, so I have attempted to do something about. I have built a dual cup holder that fits perfectly into the center console cell phone tray. I have tested them with large fast food cups and one liter bottles while driving spirited with no spills (not saying it's impossible). After driving around with it installed this summer I am more relaxed with drinks in the car.
interesting solution, idk if it will work for me, in my 05 they're side by side very close to each other can you post dimensions? cost?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default speaking of cupholders

One of my cup holder's bottom/floor, has become detached. It seems to have been glued onto the bottom of sides of the holder from underneath. I looked into having this repaired but was told that they'd have to take apart the console to reattach the bottom of the cup holder.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by winy68
One of my cup holder's bottom/floor, has become detached. It seems to have been glued onto the bottom of sides of the holder from underneath. I looked into having this repaired but was told that they'd have to take apart the console to reattach the bottom of the cup holder.

thanks
Can't you just pull the cup holder up and out with your hands?

In case you can't lifting wood trim with MMI commands is about single screw underneath your ashtray.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by winy68

thanks
I had this happen on my 4.2

The older D3 A8's had the exact same cup holder inserts that the newer D3's have with one minor difference. Instead of being a studded plastic bottom floor on each cupholder, it is a brushed silver insert. I pulled the whole insert out, carefully hot glued the insert back on and I never had an issue since. I also switched out the silver one from my W12 and put it in my 4.2
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

+1 insert assembly pops right out. Easy epoxy glue job.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I posted more pictures on AudiWorld classifieds with price. PM me if interested.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You may watch a demonstration of the cup holders install and uninstall on you tube at;

Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks Mishar, Brooze & MP4
you guys are exactly right the cup holder assembly popped right out I noticed when the assembly there's a nice felt lined pocket that could be used for other storage.

Quick Reply: Cup holder solution