Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 287611

Default D3 A8-S8 Gearshift......cut it down to lower/shorter profile

All,
Has anyone in the D3 family lowered their gearshift? In other words, has anyone cut it down to make it lower in profile? It's the one thing in the D3 interior that has always bothered me. To me it looks like a Cobra raised up ready to strike. It looks like a 90's Camry and is the only design blemish in an otherwise unparalleled interior design. I cannot be the only guy who thinks it looks a little outta place for this car. All of the other cars in this class have gearshifts that are much less obtrusive and understated. I love the D4 shifter and I can only assume this was a result of complaints regarding the D3 style.

I was looking it over the other day and it looks like it could be lowered about an inch (which in my opinion would be a huge improvement) by removing it and cutting down the metal. The question then becomes, What happens to the excess cabling that was designed for a longer run. Any experience here? Once last thought.....looks like you can buy the whole dang assembly on eBay for about 80 Bucks from a donor car and could take a look at the whole thing to see what could be done?
Hunter

Last edited by hunterp27; 08-25-2014 at 05:52 AM.
hunterp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381

Exactly my thoughts. Including eBay part. So who is going to do it first?
mishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My vote is on you Mishar

My vote is that you do it Mishar. I'll split the cost of the donor part from eBay with ya. Just gimme your PayPal info and I will shoot 40-50 bucks over and let ya get after it. What do ya say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishar View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Including eBay part. So who is going to do it first?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
AudiWorld Super User

OK. I've sent an offer for $60. Not in a good condition but it will be good enough for a prototype. Let's wait for reply.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 230868

If someone has a diagram handy and could post it I'd appreciate it; I'm curious as to how this works (in stock form).
I agree it's too tall and not as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the interior by far.
As long as we're talking *****, I wonder what the manual transmission's **** looks like on (Euro-spec) manual D3s... off to A8parts to search...
-Tom
Old 08-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishar View Post
OK. I've sent an offer for $60. Not in a good condition but it will be good enough for a prototype. Let's wait for reply.
I've got it for $60. It will be in my hands in a few days. That will be better than ELSA pictures.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member

Mishar,

I'd be glad to send you 30 bucks.........I was serious. I am super glad you are doing this and I have a feeling we are onto something.

Hunter
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterp27 View Post
Mishar,

I'd be glad to send you 30 bucks.........I was serious. I am super glad you are doing this and I have a feeling we are onto something.

Hunter
OK. That will make you the first, well the second one to get it if it works. I will still need the core if you are happy with the shorty in order to make the next one. Thanks for the jump starting this project. PM sent.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 242183

Nice one. If you don't mind looking into it also, another nice mod would be to switch the tiptronic around so that pull back gives an up shift and push forward a downshift. Why it's the other way round I don't know as it's not at all intuitive or inline with traditional sequential gearbox operation.
dvs_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
AudiWorld Super User

My question too. You can buy one from UK, but with paddle shifters it doesn't matter that much.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement