A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To D3 or D4

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GradecEngineering
What's the issue with the 8-spd? I think the fact that the torque converter clutch remains engaged so much makes some drivers feel like its abnormal. I prefer the driving dynamics when the motor and trans remain in sync. It almost feels like a manual.
The 8 speed is excellent 99% of the time. It's that 1% of the time it hesitates to kick down to 2nd from 3rd during a rolling stop, resulting in a clumsy gearchange. It's a programing issue, from what I gather. I'm going to ask the dealer if there are any software updates that can be performed, I thought I saw an applicable TSB on here somewhere.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For FULL adaptive cruise you need to look into the D4. I too had a D4 on loan and thought the adaptive cruise was excellent. Unlike the D3 adaptive cruise (which I don't have) the D4 will come to a complete stop without touching a peddle. Touch the gas and car will automatically resume cruise-set speed. I wrote about it a while back as I thought it was terrific. The stress it took out of freeway congestion made it a must have on my next ride when I am ready to part with my current D3 in the next 3+ years.

My suggestion is to have someone take you on a ride and demo the full adaptive cruise in a D4, I think you will be impressed. I too love my D3 so couldn't blame you if stay there. Considering how important adaptive cruise is to you, I suspect the D4 will make the choice easier. Just my 2 cents!

Please keep us posted.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Galco
For FULL adaptive cruise you need to look into the D4. I too had a D4 on loan and thought the adaptive cruise was excellent. Unlike the D3 adaptive cruise (which I don't have) the D4 will come to a complete stop without touching a peddle. Touch the gas and car will automatically resume cruise-set speed. I wrote about it a while back as I thought it was terrific. The stress it took out of freeway congestion made it a must have on my next ride when I am ready to part with my current D3 in the next 3+ years.

My suggestion is to have someone take you on a ride and demo the full adaptive cruise in a D4, I think you will be impressed. I too love my D3 so couldn't blame you if stay there. Considering how important adaptive cruise is to you, I suspect the D4 will make the choice easier. Just my 2 cents!

Please keep us posted.
Love that adaptive cruise on trips or D.C. traffic. It's my second favorite feature, after the massaging seats.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm biased, but would rather have a D3 W12 [or try the S8 on for size--I love mine] than a garden variety D4. I also like the looks of the D3 better, but that is subjective.

Sorry to hear about your troubles--keep us posted!
Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree that the the D3's exterior just has that classic Audi statement for me. The reason I am thinking about a D4 is the interior and MMI is much nicer. Also if I get another D3 and have another small hit up front, it's like it will be totaled again. As our D3 gets older every year, the likelihood of totaling your car for a small hit up front is inevitable.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I will add one more vote for a fully depreciated D3 versus a free falling D4. Wait another year or two and then get into a D4.
Also, I must say I'm not a super fan of the S8. The same engine in the S6, with a nice exhaust - screamer. In the D3 body it just feels a bit off, and I like the "waffability" of the W12 instead. But many will disagree. And I agree the S8 *looks* the best of all.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've never driven a W12, so I can't tell you the difference...but I am more of a "sporty" car guy and having a ridiculous combination in a luxobarge appeals to me
Old 06-24-2015, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read this thread....ugh. That really sucks. You haven't even had the new front end look for a rear yet? Hopefully you will be able to find something just as nice, or nicer. At least nobody was hurt.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
Just read this thread....ugh. That really sucks. You haven't even had the new front end look for a rear yet? Hopefully you will be able to find something just as nice, or nicer. At least nobody was hurt.
I've enjoyed the new S8 front end for about a year and a half. You are so correct that no one was hurt. Cars can be replaced.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about this TSHong.
What part of the damage is so expensive to fix that it's a total?