A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 Headlights on a D3?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakematic
I looked at them extensively for the D3 but nobody ever had any available that wouldn't throw codes for adaptive feature.
Suspect it would be difficult to retro anything due to that.
You're right. I read up on the ones available for A6 / A4 and other models on LLTEK last night. If you have rain sensing wipers, adaptive xenon headlights, and a few other options I'm forgetting, they recommended against making a switch.

The last thing I'd want is throw a bunch of codes, strictly for aesthetic purposes.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BASARAB
I do not, just here is the thing. Putting aftermarket ricey headlights, is what usually teenagers do. People who usually buy A8 are different crowd, who dont care about modifying their cars (just check availability of the tuning parts for an A4 vs A8).
So, even now, when these cars are much cheaper, still nobody will make those headlights, because nobody puts aftermarket exterior parts on large sedans (A8, S CLASS, BMW 7, LS460). It is simply not worth it financially to produce them, because nobody will buy them, except few silly dudes.

If you really want led, consider s6 leds, it should satisfy your led craving. They can be modified to fit different Audi models
I think you're missing the point. The D4 A8 has LED headlights. I'm merely talking about putting the same headlights on a D3, either through retrofit or an aftermarket that has the same look.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pmdeaver
I think you're missing the point. The D4 A8 has LED headlights. I'm merely talking about putting the same headlights on a D3, either through retrofit or an aftermarket that has the same look.
Never in a million years. These LED headlamps are highly sophisticated, read expensive, like a $2200 option - heat sinks, ducts, fans, drivers. Nobody could make these and sell more than a handful and they would be legally questionable.

http://papers.sae.org/2012-01-0263/
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snapdragon
Never in a million years. These LED headlamps are highly sophisticated, read expensive, like a $2200 option - heat sinks, ducts, fans, drivers. Nobody could make these and sell more than a handful and they would be legally questionable.

http://papers.sae.org/2012-01-0263/
I looked in erWin earlier today and was amazed at the complexity of the D4 LED.
They would be *very* difficult to retrofit and control.
As OLED becomes more mainstream that may be an alternative in the future for a D3.

New, the option is[read: was for me] $1,600 but as I recalled each assembly is $2,220 after the fact.
And that's just the beginning - controllers, temp sensors, etc
http://www.audiusaparts.com/parts/20...agramCallOut=1

What ought to be illegal is those damn blue headlights all the kids are putting in today that light up the treetops !
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BASARAB
I do not, just here is the thing. Putting aftermarket ricey headlights, is what usually teenagers do. People who usually buy A8 are different crowd, who dont care about modifying their cars (just check availability of the tuning parts for an A4 vs A8).
The (lack of) availability of tuning parts for the A8 has nothing to do with superior taste of A8 owners versus A4 owners but the economics of producing the parts for a much lower volume of sold cars. If anything, owners of expensive cars are more likely to go for bling.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Adihh
The (lack of) availability of tuning parts for the A8 has nothing to do with superior taste of A8 owners versus A4 owners but the economics of producing the parts for a much lower volume of sold cars. If anything, owners of expensive cars are more likely to go for bling.

I totally agree. I too would love to install the D4 LED headlights on a D3. I know it would be expensive (if ever available) but still worth it. Also, this thread was initially started with a question regarding the availability of an alternative option for the D3 headlights (hoping for the D4), which is an excellent question. No need for childish, ignorant responses such as: 'get a civic' or some other BS similar to that. Every Audi owner has the right to put what ever the F they want on their cars.. so who the F are you to say other wise? so please, if no one has an actual answer, don't bother posting a response.

I really do hope they come out with some aftermarket (similar to the D4) or an actual retrofit....
Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA8NYC
Every Audi owner has the right to put what ever the F they want on their cars.. so who the F are you to say other wise?
Those F's are not welcomed here. Besides that you are not right. Nobody is allowed to do whatever he wants with his car if he is going to use it on a public roads. Wrongly installed HID bulbs in regular headlights are serious menace. High power LED's can be worst.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Adihh
I totally agree with you ! I used to have a S55 AMG with supercharger stock and they make aftermarket headlights with LED and tail lights with LED. just because there are a lot more S class than A8. The only aftermarket headlights for A8 D3 is made by DEPO, but its a OEM style so it looks like the stock one, due to lack of market, they will not make a aftermarket headlights with different style for A8 like they do for A4 or A6.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

^^Watch out for Depo quality if you do go that direction. Having read all of the ups and downs on the GTI board when I owned my last car, their quality is not A8-worthy.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

The D4 headlights would be quite expensive. I had one replaced under warranty the dealer charged 2200 to replace it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D4 Headlights on a D3?