A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daughter wrecked the S8 last night.......poor thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughter wrecked the S8 last night.......poor thing

Well, as they say its not a matter of if, but when your child is gonna have his/her first fender bender. Unfortunately, her's was sooner rather than later. We swapped cars for the afternoon so I could replace her thermostat in her SUV. She's driven my car on many occasions before and to her credit she's a good driver for a 17 year old girl and only a year of experience. So as she's pulling into the gas station to refuel, she clipped one of those huge cement-filled metal posts that are there to protect the pumps and the columns that support the awning over the pumps. Didn't turn sharp enough and wanged the crap outta the pole. (Credit to the long front overhang of the D3)
She called me at 6PM in tears and could barely get the words out. I already knew what had happened (the way a parent knows) when the phone rang, it was just a matter of whether anyone was hurt. That's all I cared about. Terrific learning experience at the expense of a 9 year old S8 that doesn't have a hair outta place..........until now.
The early math is supporting approximately 6k in damages which is hard to tell by the pictures alone. However, she didn't just get a fender or the bumper or a headlight, she got em all right where they intersect. Plus a collapsed inner fender and headlight support and many other little trinkets like headlamps washer, bumper support bracket, torn fender liner and so on. All the little things just add up quick. Anyway, every piece that's damaged with the exception of the fender are things I have recently taken apart and become quite familiar with. So, my thinking is to have the insurance company pay the claim in full and I will gather all the parts and have the fender and bumper painted at a high quality repair facility and then reassemble myself. Might get outta this thing with nothing outta pocket except my time and raised rates in the future...........Little girls, aren't they a blessing!!!!!
When I arrived at the gas station she was just standing there with huge tears running down her face looking like the world had ended. I just hugged her and told her how much I loved her. She said, "but daddy it's your favorite car and you trust me to drive it". I said, "baby girl its just a piece of metal and you weren't hurt". Just another Friday night in the suburbs of Dallas, TX
Attached Thumbnails Daughter wrecked the S8 last night.......poor thing-wreck1.jpg   Daughter wrecked the S8 last night.......poor thing-wreck2.jpg   Daughter wrecked the S8 last night.......poor thing-daddy-parbo.jpg  
Old 05-28-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Wonderfully done with your daughter...

Yes, it's only a car, regardless, your daughter is beautiful and lucky to have a wonderful father.

Cheers,

Louis
Originally Posted by hunterp27
Well, as they say its not a matter of if, but when your child is gonna have his/her first fender bender. Unfortunately, her's was sooner rather than later. We swapped cars for the afternoon so I could replace her thermostat in her SUV. She's driven my car on many occasions before and to her credit she's a good driver for a 17 year old girl and only a year of experience. So as she's pulling into the gas station to refuel, she clipped one of those huge cement-filled metal posts that are there to protect the pumps and the columns that support the awning over the pumps. Didn't turn sharp enough and wanged the crap outta the pole. (Credit to the long front overhang of the D3)
She called me at 6PM in tears and could barely get the words out. I already knew what had happened (the way a parent knows) when the phone rang, it was just a matter of whether anyone was hurt. That's all I cared about. Terrific learning experience at the expense of a 9 year old S8 that doesn't have a hair outta place..........until now.
The early math is supporting approximately 6k in damages which is hard to tell by the pictures alone. However, she didn't just get a fender or the bumper or a headlight, she got em all right where they intersect. Plus a collapsed inner fender and headlight support and many other little trinkets like headlamps washer, bumper support bracket, torn fender liner and so on. All the little things just add up quick. Anyway, every piece that's damaged with the exception of the fender are things I have recently taken apart and become quite familiar with. So, my thinking is to have the insurance company pay the claim in full and I will gather all the parts and have the fender and bumper painted at a high quality repair facility and then reassemble myself. Might get outta this thing with nothing outta pocket except my time and raised rates in the future...........Little girls, aren't they a blessing!!!!!
When I arrived at the gas station she was just standing there with huge tears running down her face looking like the world had ended. I just hugged her and told her how much I loved her. She said, "but daddy it's your favorite car and you trust me to drive it". I said, "baby girl its just a piece of metal and you weren't hurt". Just another Friday night in the suburbs of Dallas, TX
Old 05-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You took that well I'd be crying with her if something happened to my Audi. But your right it's only metal that can be fixed, main thing is no one got hurt.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

At least it's repairable. I can see misjudging where the front corner is given the length of the hood and her relative unfamiliarity with the car. No lasting damage done.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Sounds like it will work out ok. And yes, inevitable learning experience; fortunately low speed.

Make sure to check the aux cooler that should be right in there where the fender liner is perforated for it--assuming it is like the W12.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default In case you need to remove the bumper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1Vf5XeH6c
Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear about the incident with your S8, although I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt and that you've taken the opportunity to show just how patient and loving a father you are.

Please keep us informed with the repair.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a car (as much as it isnt JUST a car) and can be replaced. Daughters can't. Glad she is ok and the rest will sort itself out. Keep us posted with the rebuild!
Old 05-29-2016, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad no serious damage done, except perhaps to her pride.
Might be better off paying out of pocket and not letting the insurance co. get involved if at all. My 17 yr. old rearended (slight hit, rolling stop) the car in front of her which hit the car in front of that one. Keep in mind, there were NO claims filed from anyone, and our Insurance company jacked the rates just because "a little red flag popped up". I had to replace the front clip on my wife's 04' Passat as well as windshield and both front airbags.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Like I always say; Insurance COmpaNies are your friend, until something goes wrong......

Quick Reply: Daughter wrecked the S8 last night.......poor thing