Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Dealer Could not diagnose

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default Dealer Could not diagnose

RE: 2004 a8L 175K

Parked car in garage and next day it would only fire for 2sec., this occurred 3 times then no crank and dash was dark. No lights at all. On key turn the MMI and other systems do not act the same and air compressor ran on acc.

Towed to local shop with ross tech and he could not access anything.

Towed to dealer 200 miles away and they said that their equipment could not access ANY modules or diagnostics at all. They want to spend at least a day on itto try to figure out what is what.

Not sure if anyone has had this problem of no start, dark dash (no lights), no crank, and no diagnostic access to control modules.

It is still at the dealer in Colorado with a HOLD ao any work until I figure out what is what.

Any questions or suggestions would be great. Dealer is stumped and mechanic is actually a friend.

Thanks,

Former A8 snob
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 226734
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 258
Default

As stupid as it sounds, hows your battery?
BASARAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 208615
 
jakematic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC USA
Posts: 2,883
Default

Sounds like a dead battery to me too at initial glance.

Mister Bally has a thread about starter causing battery drain - can be felt by warmth.
Unfortunately search is offline at the moment...

Possibilities include crank position sensor and immobilizer, but access to modules has to be first to diagnose the rest.

If battery voltage is good and supplied to the rest of the vehicle, the first thing I'd do is use a fuse tester to check the major ones including the DLC (OBD port) fuse.
We had a BMW once that would constantly blow DLC fuse due to abraded wires.

Since the compressor ran it seems unlikely the battery interrupt igniter was triggered.
Could also be the battery management module.
__________________
2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

jakematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
Account #: 26081
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,966
Default

+1 or 2
__________________
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here. [pics now only in picture poster] Upper control arm reference (+ more info in replies) here. Lower cost D3 OES sway bar links here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt); RS5 front brakes
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default Thanks for the replies

The car is at the dealer and yes the battery was NEW and load tested as it was theirs. Basically the car is dead at many areas including OBD port, dash, and other areas after a morning no start. I am afraid to have the dealer continue at $130 as hour and hope to tow it home and repair somehow.

Again, it has NO communication with the OBD port using audi diag., tool. I will suggest the attached quote as a possible fix and also search for other info. If a crank position sensor goes does that render the OBD port faulty?

Will look into all ideas presented and have an open mind as well.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
Sounds like a dead battery to me too at initial glance.

Mister Bally has a thread about starter causing battery drain - can be felt by warmth.
Unfortunately search is offline at the moment...

Possibilities include crank position sensor and immobilizer, but access to modules has to be first to diagnose the rest.

If battery voltage is good and supplied to the rest of the vehicle, the first thing I'd do is use a fuse tester to check the major ones including the DLC (OBD port) fuse.
We had a BMW once that would constantly blow DLC fuse due to abraded wires.

Since the compressor ran it seems unlikely the battery interrupt igniter was triggered.
Could also be the battery management module.
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 226734
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8 snob View Post

Again, it has NO communication with the OBD port using audi diag., tool. I will suggest the attached quote as a possible fix and also search for other info. If a crank position sensor goes does that render the OBD port faulty?
No, it does not. Are any of your lights working in the car? Maybe battery connector is loose or smth like that.

Last edited by BASARAB; 02-05-2014 at 08:16 AM.
BASARAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default

BASARAB,

So far two highly trained technicians have looked at the car and shook their heads as to the problem. The car does have power to certain items, but none to others as pointed out. My thoughts my conclude with the fact that somewhere their is a short that does not let power come into the OBD system and also other systems. Basically a loose or broken wire somehwhere or possibly a control module (battery?) that is bad. The problem is how do you determine the module/short with no power to the OBD port.

It may be that the car will be scraped, but it would be great to try to figure it out somehow.

By the way, all the fuses are OK, and the battery and links are OK.

Thanks

Former A8 Snob
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 208615
 
jakematic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC USA
Posts: 2,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8 snob View Post
I am afraid to have the dealer continue at $130 as hour
Worse than the hourly rate, they may start throwing parts at it until it starts working properly...
__________________
2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

jakematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default

Jakematic,

Thanks,

Not headed there yet at all, the dealer will not fix it as it is too risky. Where do you start?

I have some great info here and will get it back in my garage and attempt to fix it but it looks as though it might be parts on e-bay.

Was a great car while it lasted, maybe a miracle will get her runnin' again.
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default Free Prize if you diagnose via internet

Dear Audi World:

I will offer a free prize of $250 mailed to you if you can correctly diagnose the problem. Please submit your entry and when I get the car back I will try them all and declare the winner. If you are partially correct you may be able to collect a partial payment.

Thanks,

Former snob
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 102428
 
Mister Bally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 3,673
Default

First thing I would do is bypass the battery management module. If things did not come to life, I would apply +12 v to the module connected to the OBD port. Things will likely come to life. Troubleshooting continues to find a broken wire/connection or faulty module.
Mister Bally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 208615
 
jakematic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC USA
Posts: 2,883
Default Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bally View Post
Troubleshooting continues to find a broken wire/connection or faulty module.
Excellent point.

Chef friend of mine had weird problems with his car after one of these took residence to stay warm:
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

jakematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default

Mister Bally,

That is great information. I will not have the car back for a week and will print all this info grab my bentleys and go from there.

Is there a good online source for module location besides bentleys cd? I remember a site that had great information, just cannot recall the exact name.

Thanks

Former A8 snob

PS: What do you think of Duramax by chevy?
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default

If I find that beast you get the $$
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 55498
 
s4master1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,721
Default no crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8 snob View Post
RE: 2004 a8L 175K

Parked car in garage and next day it would only fire for 2sec., this occurred 3 times then no crank and dash was dark. No lights at all. On key turn the MMI and other systems do not act the same and air compressor ran on acc.

Towed to local shop with ross tech and he could not access anything.

Towed to dealer 200 miles away and they said that their equipment could not access ANY modules or diagnostics at all. They want to spend at least a day on itto try to figure out what is what.

Not sure if anyone has had this problem of no start, dark dash (no lights), no crank, and no diagnostic access to control modules.

It is still at the dealer in Colorado with a HOLD ao any work until I figure out what is what.

Any questions or suggestions would be great. Dealer is stumped and mechanic is actually a friend.

Thanks,

Former A8 snob
have them check the ignition switch circuit to see if power goes thru, is actually very easy and that would tell to look before the switch or after.
it seems to me the switch is broken.
__________________
2011 S550 fully loaded
2006 A6 3.2Q
2009 A5 3.2
2014 APRILIA RSV4 matte black
2010 R8
s4master1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 227151
 
a8 snob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Default

The dealer got the car running, not sure how yet.......when I know the reason I will provide it here.

Until then thanks for the help.
__________________
A8 snob

1991 TQ wagon 5000 x 3
1992 V8 Q x 2
1995 URS6
2004 A8L - Current
a8 snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 226734
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 258
Default

So I guess dealer gets extra $250
BASARAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 275683
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8 snob View Post
The dealer got the car running, not sure how yet.......when I know the reason I will provide it here.

Until then thanks for the help.
what was the issue?
CMS062407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 AM   #19
Banned
Account #: 273220
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS062407 View Post
what was the issue?
I hate when people don't follow up with the solution of their problem and help the needy people of the future who will definitely stumble upon this thread...
da9th_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #20
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 242183
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 635
Default

Come on OP.....what was wrong with it?
dvs_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2011, a5, audi, battery, igniter, interrupt


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community