A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership errors what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealership errors what can I do?

So I was replacing my compressor yesterday and I noticed the 3 front belly panel screws were missing. I get my oil change done at the dealership only. I never go anywhere else even for repairs, unless I do them myself (and sometimes for a diagnostic).

Last year while I was driving on a newely paved highway, the front of my belly pan dropped while going about 80mph. It was 1 month after I got an oil change done at the dealership. I called the dealership, zip tied the panel and brought the car in. They told me I must have hit a bump and that there was no way their mechanics couls have forgotten to put in the screws. I told them I didn't hit a bump but they wouldn't replace the belly panel for free. I ended up using my mechanic friends AAA number to buy one at reduced price from them.

So basically is there anything I can do this time? I noticed about half of the wheel liner clips were missing as well. Usually they only forget to put in 1 or 2 but there was only 1 clip on the drivers side.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you find these missing fixing before leaving you have little chance of getting anything out of them.

Originally Posted by flag_route
So I was replacing my compressor yesterday and I noticed the 3 front belly panel screws were missing. I get my oil change done at the dealership only. I never go anywhere else even for repairs, unless I do them myself (and sometimes for a diagnostic).

Last year while I was driving on a newely paved highway, the front of my belly pan dropped while going about 80mph. It was 1 month after I got an oil change done at the dealership. I called the dealership, zip tied the panel and brought the car in. They told me I must have hit a bump and that there was no way their mechanics couls have forgotten to put in the screws. I told them I didn't hit a bump but they wouldn't replace the belly panel for free. I ended up using my mechanic friends AAA number to buy one at reduced price from them.

So basically is there anything I can do this time? I noticed about half of the wheel liner clips were missing as well. Usually they only forget to put in 1 or 2 but there was only 1 clip on the drivers side.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upon getting my car, I was missing all but three belly pan screws. The bottom wheel well ones were also gone.

Friend recently came across them and linked me. Compared to the rest of the sites, these prices hit me as very reasonable.

Wheel well
Amazon.com: Dorman 700-081 Splash Shield Retainer With Nut, Pack of 10: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 700-081 Splash Shield Retainer With Nut, Pack of 10: Automotive

Belly Pan
Amazon.com: 5xSet Under Engine Cover Undertray Kit Screw Metal Clips For Audi VW Skoda 8D0805121: Automotive Amazon.com: 5xSet Under Engine Cover Undertray Kit Screw Metal Clips For Audi VW Skoda 8D0805121: Automotive

Got them in the last couple of days and so far the fit and finish looks the same as the three I had originally.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

I have a small coffee can with these various bit parts in it. They break over time, and some are sort of sacrificial/quasi single use like the fender plastic push pins. The four plastic square shaped receiver pieces on the two ends of the belly pan tend to break over time, and then the screw doesn't seat firmly in them. They can be replaced as long as the square punched hole into which they lock is not broken out. The metal ones used at the front and back of the pan tend to be long lasting, but having the rubber retaining washer originally installed helps both snug them and avoid having something loose fall on road. The side ones use a flexible plastic washer with a similar retaining function.

Net, replace the missing ones and keep a few extra if you plan to own the car longer term.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Flag Route

I've moved to using stainless steel blots, washers and nylon nuts to secure the front of my bell shield. As stated in previous posts, the plastic fasteners will fail.

The night before an oil change, I'll remove the stainless hardware so my mechanic doesn't have to deal with them. When I get the car back, I re-install them. Resting assured that the belly shield is secured and not going anywhere.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default You Could Contact AoA

Originally Posted by flag_route

Not sure if you mean doing something about losing fasteners or about poor dealership experience. You can contact AoA about the latter, however my experience is they will sympathize, take down your side of the story and then nothing will come of it. AoA will say the dealers are independent partners, so really AUDI does not stand behind them any more than any other shop. I had a dealer disable my emergency key when programming and another spend 1K "fixing" my curve lights without fixing anything and then wanted to replace BOTH headlights for 4K. I fixed the problem myself for $0 by tightening up the electrical connector. Contacting AoA made no noticable difference either time. Anywhoo, here's AoA contact:

Audi Customer Service - Contact Audi | Audi USA

IMHO, the answer is to find a good independent you trust. It'll be cheaper and better than the dealer. Dealer's are for warranty work only.