A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my rear break pads replacement. ~ Feels good !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Yikes indeed!

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Wowzers....you only changed the pads???? Don't marvel at the oil selection he has, instead get those rotors changed asap!!!!!! They are completely worn out and dangerous being so thin. Look at the size of the lip on them! Did the mechanic not point that out as an urgent item?
Those rotors are at leas 5 mm under minimum thickness. They lost mass and strength. Very dangerous and not funny at all.

My advice is not to buy cheep rotors. They will warp in no time. That would be pure wast of time and money.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I have done my rear brakes four times on my '04. Rotors twice. Felt great each time for me as well.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
1. Your title is completely misleading. You should change it to "I PAID to have my brake "not break" pads replaced".

2. Not only did you pay a shop to replace only your pads, but you installed brand new, fresh pads onto those grizzly, thin rotors? Huge mistake considering how cheap a set of rear rotors can be had for.

3. The installers probably enjoyed installing just the pads knowing your new pads probably won't seat right or bed properly as you didn't turn or even finish the rotors with sand paper or wheel it out. They will be expecting you soon for a new set of rotors, in which you should install new pads... Not your existing ones. From my experience the front pads need to be replaced twice as often as the rear. Considering this you could've completely done the full job and not worried about it for many, many miles.

I'd delete this post out of self respect if I were you.
Title corrected ~

Wow ~ "delete this post out of self respect?"

Why don't you Calm down a bit before you blast off with your
" Oh I'm so smart I know everything attitude?Lasting I need is your arrogant smug every single time I look at your profile photo ~
Have a nice day ~~

Last edited by nysid2007; 01-28-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Those rotors are at leas 5 mm under minimum thickness. They lost mass and strength. Very dangerous and not funny at all.

My advice is not to buy cheep rotors. They will warp in no time. That would be pure wast of time and money.
Definitely, will stick with OEM
Thank you mishar ~
Old 01-28-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I have done my rear brakes four times on my '04. Rotors twice. Felt great each time for me as well.
Hey ~ Mr Bally ~ nothing feels better than having new brakes I guess ~
Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
That was probably a little harsh. I agree he should have replaced the rotors but we don't know if rotors are cheap or easy to source in South Korea. If I needed to drive my car, didn't have VCDS, and it needed new rear brakes I would have done the same.
Luckily d3 A8 rotors are pretty affordable ~

I normally like to use pelican part, since they do International shipping ~

Last edited by nysid2007; 01-28-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, how was it that this car didn't catch on fire? Amazing, never thought that was possible; guess I should never underestimate the human condition....

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
Yeah, just a few more miles and they can look like these!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Galco
Wow, how was it that this car didn't catch on fire? Amazing, never thought that was possible; guess I should never underestimate the human condition....
I believe that brake was staged. Rotor was milled on a lathe, but guy made the point.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I believe that brake was staged. Rotor was milled on a lathe, but guy made the point.
Definitely staged. The biggest giveaway is how the rotor is gone all the way to the hub. The pad can't wear rotor it's not touching.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Definitely staged. The biggest giveaway is how the rotor is gone all the way to the hub. The pad can't wear rotor it's not touching.
I know that the hub section is odd, and looks to be cut, But,

I have actually seen and replaced a set like this in person on a 76 Ford Thunderbird in 1980, I remember it well, I was like what an *&^%*^*, I said to the person " did you not hear or feel that", all I got was a blank stare, and over the years I have seen the same in a few of my friends shops.

Check out some Google pics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+...HWTJCPUQsAQIGw
Attached Images   

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 01-29-2016 at 03:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Did my rear break pads replacement. ~ Feels good !!!