A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my rear break pads replacement. ~ Feels good !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
I know that the hub section is odd, and looks to be cut, But,

I have actually seen and replaced a set like this in person on a 76 Ford Thunderbird in 1980, I remember it well, I was like what an *&^%*^*, I said to the person " did you not hear or feel that", all I got was a blank stare, and over the years I have seen the same in a few of my friends shops.
They would take your licence for a few months if you drive too fast. For this I would take it permanently.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nysid2007
Title corrected ~

Wow ~ "delete this post out of self respect?"

Why don't you Calm down a bit before you blast off with your
" Oh I'm so smart I know everything attitude?Lasting I need is your arrogant smug every single time I look at your profile photo ~
Have a nice day ~~

Brozee has offered a lot of advice on this forum and seems like a good guy. I never got the "smug know it all" vibe you're implying. I think most of the guys here are looking out for your well being because those rotors are dangerously thin. Most folks replace pads and rotors at the same time without even thinking twice when there's cause for it.

Trying to "save" on proper maintenance at the expense of your personal health or even worse your life suggests that an A8 is not the vehicle for you. When it comes to cost, regular maintenance will soon be the least of your worries.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's your car... IMO the rears are not used

Originally Posted by nysid2007
Title corrected ~

Wow ~ "delete this post out of self respect?"

Why don't you Calm down a bit before you blast off with your
" Oh I'm so smart I know everything attitude?Lasting I need is your arrogant smug every single time I look at your profile photo ~
Have a nice day ~~
As much as the front. People here are by the book, so don't worry about it. Unless you drive like the 'transporter' or 'ronin'.... :-)
Can't please everyone.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
As much as the front. People here are by the book, so don't worry about it. Unless you drive like the 'transporter' or 'ronin'.... :-)
Can't please everyone.
Cheers,
Louis
Louis,

This advice is dangerous.

It is true that rear brakes are braking less than fronts. That's why they are smaller. They brake all the times, even more with loaded back seats and trunk. If they are doing nothing they would last forever, or more likely won't be there at all like on racing motorcycles.

Advising people to neglect rear brakes is irresponsible.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I never advice anyone doing anything, but be serious

Originally Posted by mishar
Louis,

This advice is dangerous.

It is true that rear brakes are braking less than fronts. That's why they are smaller. They brake all the times, even more with loaded back seats and trunk. If they are doing nothing they would last forever, or more likely won't be there at all like on racing motorcycles.

Advising people to neglect rear brakes is irresponsible.
Unless the rotors are defective and cracked which I doubt because it did wear out that we can see. If the braking is so severe that the alloy wheel will break before the metal discs disintegrate and break. It doesn't matter how cheap the steel is.

The force to bend a rotating disc must be extremely strong on the opposite sides of the disc which doesn't exist here. I still remember my physics 101. The movements of the piston is very minimal, the even force will be applied when braking.
Now you say heat will bend the rotors - even if you forgot to release the hand brake which we can't, how long does it take for the disc to get hot enough to bend or break.

All the specs are for the lawyers, for boosting sales.

Change oil every 3k miles, 5k miles?

Again, everyone has his/her own rights to spend money for using their cars as they found fit.
I bought a $18k car, I don't care if it's sold for $100k, as long as it's safe to transport my family from point A to point B with the minimum costs.
I think buying a $10-20k car and spend $2k for maintenance is totally "unsound mind" regardless if it's originally cost $100k.
Yes, if I'm going to ever drive to 170+ mph like MR.Bally, I do need all the right equipment.

I DO NOT advice anyone to use cheap stuff, drive the car to the ground like many people think I do. If you wan to compare how good your car against mine, I don't think your car with "all the expensive stuff" and "your right way of maintenance" drives better or safer than my "run to the ground" car anytime.

It's been 3 years, 115k miles now from 73k miles, it starts right up, brakes on a dime with pads changed only. Everything works even with the original timing belt. Even if it breaks tomorrow which I doubt, I will see how much it will cost me to fix it... it's me, I like challenges.. :-) I will drive until the belt breaks or the roller seized or the tensioner dies, whatever, I want to be the guinea pig.
BTW, if the car lasts 3 more years or 20k miles more, at anytime, I can donate the car because my $18k was well spent. My goal is $2.5-3k/year for driving this beautiful car is cheap, but not more.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Unless the rotors are defective and cracked which I doubt because it did wear out that we can see. If the braking is so severe that the alloy wheel will break before the metal discs disintegrate and break. It doesn't matter how cheap the steel is.

The force to bend a rotating disc must be extremely strong on the opposite sides of the disc which doesn't exist here. I still remember my physics 101. The movements of the piston is very minimal, the even force will be applied when braking.
Now you say heat will bend the rotors - even if you forgot to release the hand brake which we can't, how long does it take for the disc to get hot enough to bend or break.

All the specs are for the lawyers, for boosting sales.

Change oil every 3k miles, 5k miles?
As you can see from the pictures posted by OP, his discs are already worn quite a bit. They are most certainly utilized as part of stopping the car, otherwise wear on the pads and rotors would be minimal. Advising him to ignore that is dangerous because it is not known at what point he will wear all the way through or thin enough that they crack. In either case, that will result in poor braking performance and potentially excessive heat build up, increasing the risk of a fire.

It's been 3 years, 115k miles now from 73k miles, it starts right up, brakes on a dime with pads changed only. Everything works even with the original timing belt. Even if it breaks tomorrow which I doubt, I will see how much it will cost me to fix it... it's me, I like challenges.. :-) I will drive until the belt breaks or the roller seized or the tensioner dies, whatever, I want to be the guinea pig.
BTW, if the car lasts 3 more years or 20k miles more, at anytime, I can donate the car because my $18k was well spent. My goal is $2.5-3k/year for driving this beautiful car is cheap, but not more.

Cheers,

Louis
The mileage you are at is where I changed a timing belt on a D3, and it sorely needed it. The water pump had a bunch of pink goop on it and the belt was showing microcracks between 1/8 and 1/4 inch long. The car ran and drove perfectly, however, with no noise of any kind. There was no indication at all on how poor that belt and associated components were actually doing, and there never will be. It was worth the $500 in parts and the weekend to get it done.

Added note: If your car grenades itself, it'll be worth precisely squat. Even if you pay an Indy shop $1400 for the job, it's still money well spent. Donating that car without that job done isn't doing a public service to anyone, beyond the tax credit you get to claim.

Last edited by Jack88; 02-06-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

... as long as it's safe to transport my family ...
That's the whole point. It is not safe and it is getting worst.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers,

Louis

Wonder how those who ride with you (wife, kids, friends) would feel about you deliberately playing russian roulette with their safety and lives?!
Old 02-07-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Can't please everyone.
Cheers,
Louis
This is really bad advice and needs to be ignored.