A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between 2006-2007 A8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between 2006-2007 A8?

Hi guys,

So I'm looking for a used Audi A8 and I got to test drive 2 of them. The first one was a 2007 A8 and it looked almost new with only 60,000 miles or so at a Lexus dealer for about $25,000. It was really smooth and maybe even quieter than the 2007 Lexus LS460 I tried out. The brown and orange interior looked really nice. I could've thought it was a new car

Then I found an 2006 A8 L for about $14,000 but the leather has some wear marks (maybe because it's a tan color vs. a darker brown?) and some of the other interior parts are falling apart, and it's a lot louder when going over bumps or when driving on a flat road, but the guy in charge of the company told me that it comes with a 3 month warranty and he will fix all of those trim materials if I buy it. He tells me that everything has been checked out and is working great.

The question is: do you think the noise difference is due to wear on the suspension or tires (easily fixable) or the difference in model year or just how that car is (not so fixable)? Btw, the 2006 one doesn't look like it has the double glass windows, just one piece of glass but I'm not sure if that makes a difference
Also, should worn leather be a no-go or can I get them reconditioned to look new?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How many miles on 2006

Originally Posted by genealogyxie
Hi guys,

So I'm looking for a used Audi A8 and I got to test drive 2 of them. The first one was a 2007 A8 and it looked almost new with only 60,000 miles or so at a Lexus dealer for about $25,000. It was really smooth and maybe even quieter than the 2007 Lexus LS460 I tried out. The brown and orange interior looked really nice. I could've thought it was a new car

Then I found an 2006 A8 L for about $14,000 but the leather has some wear marks (maybe because it's a tan color vs. a darker brown?) and some of the other interior parts are falling apart, and it's a lot louder when going over bumps or when driving on a flat road, but the guy in charge of the company told me that it comes with a 3 month warranty and he will fix all of those trim materials if I buy it. He tells me that everything has been checked out and is working great.

The question is: do you think the noise difference is due to wear on the suspension or tires (easily fixable) or the difference in model year or just how that car is (not so fixable)? Btw, the 2006 one doesn't look like it has the double glass windows, just one piece of glass but I'm not sure if that makes a difference
Also, should worn leather be a no-go or can I get them reconditioned to look new?
The 2007 has a timing chain and backup camera. Not sure if that is 11,000. The looks like new is worth a lot though. The leather can be cleaned, reconditioned, dyed, oiled, or Cryo'ed. But most likely will never look like new again.
The noise could be tires, some are much louder than others. The noise over bumps may be suspension. The suspension should be quiet on flat pavement even if worn.
The interior trim "falling apart" does not sound right. Besides the finish on some buttons wearing off, the inside should look good on a 2006. Falling apart indicates storage issues.
How is the paint holding up? People think my 2005 is almost new when they look at the paint. For a 10 year old, it has aged well.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Could the extra noise come from sport suspension, or different setting in the suspension setup? Or is it a completely different noise?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default 2006's vs/ 2007's

In the 4.2's you find the switch to the FSI motor from the 5V port injected one. The FSI has no timing belt, which saves on maintenance, plus a bit more power and maybe a bit more MPG. Any other changes between those two years are very subtle; rear back up camera is the biggest single thing probably. That can be helpful with the rear visibility issues surrounding the clunky back headrests and the typical C pillar, plus the high deck lid. It was the 2008 where the styling refresh occurred and there are more changes; that supposedly included some increased noise dampening (at least on the non-W12's that might already have had it).

You can tell acoustic glass by looking at it on the edge of a window. If you see a line where the glass is sandwiched around a thin laminate layer, that is the acoustic. If it is a uniform edge with no center sandwich line, it is the standard glass.

Net, if you are feeling a difference, assume it is in the tires, a bad alignment or worn suspension. Front suspension on these is vulnerable to wear. I would not trust a used car place to follow up on fixes, and things like suspension often lead to a "normal wear and tear" debate even with "warranties" where the customer usually loses. Net, you lose 99% of your leverage when you write a check and drive it off the lot. Find a good one (or they can fix/align, etc.). If you can afford it, I would typically go for the later year, more so with the motor tweak here.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-23-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The 2007 has a timing chain and backup camera. Not sure if that is 11,000. The looks like new is worth a lot though. The leather can be cleaned, reconditioned, dyed, oiled, or Cryo'ed. But most likely will never look like new again.
The noise could be tires, some are much louder than others. The noise over bumps may be suspension. The suspension should be quiet on flat pavement even if worn.
The interior trim "falling apart" does not sound right. Besides the finish on some buttons wearing off, the inside should look good on a 2006. Falling apart indicates storage issues.
How is the paint holding up? People think my 2005 is almost new when they look at the paint. For a 10 year old, it has aged well.

Cyro'ed? What is that, where can I do that, and how much would that cost?

I could probably talk them into including some quieter tires. What tires would you recommend for quietness?

The driver door's flip-out storage compartment won't go back in
Paint looks good but I didn't look too much into that

They seem to mention the warranty a lot and how it's no questions asked at any shop in the US so I sure hope they honor it! :P

How much would a backup camera retrofit cost?

Btw, how much do you think I will end up spending on maintenance/repairs on average after 5 years (assuming I get everything checked out)?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Forget that 2006 and try to negotiate better price for that 2007. From the factory it is better car and from your words it is in a much better condition.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2007 over 2006

Where did you test drive both cars? Color?

Id go 2007 and negotiate a favorable price. Jeep us posted..
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Forget that 2006 and try to negotiate better price for that 2007.
+1

FYI: New tires with balance and alignment will set you back around $1200. If you don't turn your own wrenches chasing suspension noises and fixing them will most likely cost around $2500.00. Quality control arms and other suspension pieces are not cheep!

What's the mileage on the 2006? If new pads, rotors or calipers are needed, be prepared for another punch in the wallet.

Good luck.