A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Manually Operating the Power Trunk Damage its Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Does Manually Operating the Power Trunk Damage its Motor?

Sometimes I forget and just yank the trunk up, and I wondered if anyone who's taken the trunk motor apart or who understands the workings of the clutch could give an opinion. Also closing (faster than the motor does) by hand. I don't want to make the clutch slip any more than necessary. I had to remove the 50-pound tow hook and lug wrench because the trunk occasionally wouldn't launch. Cleaned and lubed hinges thoroughly and bought new struts, going to pop them on today.
Tom
Old 08-21-2016, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you open it fast or close manually clutch doesn't engage, so it is just like any nonmotorized trunk.

No damage.

If you open it slowly clutch will engage and you can't make it open much faster than motor dictates. Motorized closing has to be initiated by the button.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default No problem.

Clutch is only engaged whilst motor is running. All other times the clutch is open. Manually operating the trunk lid doesn't trigger the motor or clutch to engage so it's not possible to damage as a result.

Clutch and motor can only be engaged by activating them via the various buttons (key fob, trunk lid, drivers door).

For safety, the system monitors the current draw of the motor, and if it exceeds a predetermined value (such as when it's binding or there's an obstruction) it automatically disengages the clutch and stops the motor.

In short, manually operating the lid does not cause any wear to the lid motor or clutch mechanism.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
...Clutch and motor can only be engaged by activating them via the various buttons (key fob, trunk lid, drivers door)...
Thanks guys.
Dave,
If the trunk is opened via its handle, is the delay between when it pops and when the motor/clutch are actuated enough time to open manually w/o the clutch engaging? Or does it sense it's being lifted by hand and disengage?

I learned it's a magnetic clutch here; now I get it.

Never fails to elicit reactions from passersby. I thought I was special. Sadly, I saw a HYUNDAI open like it the other day. What will they copy next?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Sadly, I saw a HYUNDAI open like it the other day.
And thay do not have to nurse it every now and then. Maybe Audi should copy them. 😎
Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would remove the motor or disconnect the power if it doesn't lift any more. It's lighter and you don't have to wait for it going up slowly. It's a bad design. D4 copied Hyundai and it works flawlessly.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mishar
And thay do not have to nurse it every now and then. Maybe Audi should copy them. 😎
Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
...D4 copied Hyundai and it works flawlessly.
Raspberries to both of you heretics!

Mine works 90% of the time, and I have two new struts sitting on my armchair's arm which I hope will fix the 10%. I guess they have to actually on the car so I'll try that next. *derp*
Old 08-22-2016, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Thanks guys.
Dave,
If the trunk is opened via its handle, is the delay between when it pops and when the motor/clutch are actuated enough time to open manually w/o the clutch engaging? Or does it sense it's being lifted by hand and disengage?

I learned it's a magnetic clutch here; now I get it.

Never fails to elicit reactions from passersby. I thought I was special. Sadly, I saw a HYUNDAI open like it the other day. What will they copy next?
The motor has a position sensor on it. So as soon as it detects any motion without the motor engaged it knows it's being operated manually so it doesn't activate the clutch or motor.

RE Hyundai and the like, it's easy to make stuff reliable when the kit you put in your latest cars is decade old tech that's been developed to perfection by everyone else.

I wonder if they'd have the ***** to pull the trigger on active air suspension....10yr/100k warranty, haha, yea right!