A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dual fan speed controls don't work independently...

Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default The dual fan speed controls don't work independently...

even I set Sync to OFF in the settings. Did I miss something in the set up? My Q7 the fan on each side can be set independently.
I just realized today when my wife wanted to have lower speed than my side, when I changed the speed on her side lower, mine also followed. Synchronization setting was OFF. I could see the light on the her fan switch OFF while I was changing mine (ON), but her speed also changed with my speed.

Is it broken or it's just operator errors?

Temperature can set independently, every switch works as they're supposed to. To lazy to to hook up the VCDS.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
even I set Sync to OFF in the settings. Did I miss something in the set up? My Q7 the fan on each side can be set independently.
I just realized today when my wife wanted to have lower speed than my side, when I changed the speed on her side lower, mine also followed. Synchronization setting was OFF. I could see the light on the her fan switch OFF while I was changing mine (ON), but her speed also changed with my speed.

Is it broken or it's just operator errors?

Temperature can set independently, every switch works as they're supposed to. To lazy to to hook up the VCDS.

Thanks,

Louis
Nope, you discovered it correctly. As I did when I saw some of those fan pictures people post. Look at the pics carefully--it is two rat cage style fans with a single motor and mounted on a common spindle. Mister Bally first pointed that out to me IIRC. Thus, change one side and you are actually changing both. Art in Engineering. Or rather, Fritz in bean counting control.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So dual controls are false advertising? Wonder if the 08+ A8 cars

truly have independent controls.

BTW, why the 2 fan buttons? One for spare in case the other fails?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers,

Louis
Do you really want your passenger to struggle reaching for the button? That would be inhumane.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Nope, you discovered it correctly. As I did when I saw some of those fan pictures people post. Look at the pics carefully--it is two rat cage style fans with a single motor and mounted on a common spindle. Mister Bally first pointed that out to me IIRC. Thus, change one side and you are actually changing both. Art in Engineering. Or rather, Fritz in bean counting control.
I honestly think it is an error in the coding. Our current 2001 740iL has dual zone fan speed selections which is powered by almost the same rat cage style, but will still allow the speed to be selected per side. It works, if I remember correctly, not by varying each side of the fan but by redistributing the air flow. More to the higher fan speed side verses the lower speed side. I need to try and find the document about it.

Here is the 740iL motor:
BMW E38 740i M62 4.4L - 64118391809 - Blower Motor - ES#177545

Here is the link to the BMW file(it may not be the correct one, different model year, or even applicable to the D3 but it illustrates how the D3 system should work: Turns out I can not link a PDF but if you google E38 IHKA it will be the first PDF document available.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonder if the 08+ A8 cars...

Cheers,

Louis
Nope, mine seems to work the same way...ridiculous when you think of the myriad of other independent settings for hvac in the A8
Old 06-29-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Exactly the same on mine too. Fan speed control isn't independent side to side as there is only one fan motor driving two fans. Only temperature and air distribution are independent.

If one person doesn't want as much air, they just need to adjust their dash vents accordingly.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They did fix the system for the Q7 in 2008 at least...

I think it's OK about the dual fans single controller, I was just afraid that my "reliable" car started failing... :-) . My wife did direct all the air toward me, I do like cold air.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's how I saw it, one motor, two cages at the same speed, I believe it is dampers that close off or open up for air flow.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbell
I honestly think it is an error in the coding. Our current 2001 740iL has dual zone fan speed selections which is powered by almost the same rat cage style, but will still allow the speed to be selected per side. It works, if I remember correctly, not by varying each side of the fan but by redistributing the air flow. More to the higher fan speed side verses the lower speed side. I need to try and find the document about it.

Here is the 740iL motor:
BMW E38 740i M62 4.4L - 64118391809 - Blower Motor - ES#177545

Here is the link to the BMW file(it may not be the correct one, different model year, or even applicable to the D3 but it illustrates how the D3 system should work: Turns out I can not link a PDF but if you google E38 IHKA it will be the first PDF document available.
Not a coding error. There is only one motor with two squirrel cages attached to the sole motor shaft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The dual fan speed controls don't work independently...