A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency brake question

Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a good one, Tom. I'm glad no body was injured and hopefully you didn't have to change your boxers..*s The 'parking brake launch' is simply a modification done to the computer module in the system that allows you to activate the parking brake while at a traffic light for example, them simply roll onto the gas ever so lightly and the parking brake automatically releases and off you go.......
I did the mod and also checked the parking brake application whilst driving and yes, it'll lock up the rear brakes while rolling. I guess that's cool if your power 'drifting' or using an evasive maneuver to get away from the 'bad guys' like Jason Statham.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you are okay Tom,
But how is your Pup, I am sure she was like WTH Dad, I nearly crapped in the car, OH you too Dad, damn.....
Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Okay, I guess my (Grumpy Old Man) age is showing since I have to ask; is this actually "something"?
I've missed a lot since I've been spending far too little time on the 'net lately. Computer problems combined with life challenges...
As for the G.O.M. aspect, does the car really need to launch any harder? Are you a top fuel dragster professionally and so the 8 seems slow off the line for ya?

My understanding (from owner's manual and SSP research) is that pulling the parking brake at speed for emergency braking would be a good way to clean out your trunk (everything - including leaves, lint, etc. - would be vertically stacked against the trunk/seatback divider), as well as to find everything you and the previous owner(s) ever dropped under the seat.
Lastly any rear seat passengers who were stupid enough to ride unrestrained would find themselves in a windshield kissing (read: breaking) contest with any stupids in the front.

Last week some typical Tennessee driver decided to glance up from her texting at 50 MPH just in time to discover the rude folks in front of her had stopped for a traffic light! Her solution was to jerk the wheel right into my lane which was unimpeded, and to do it so hard that her car was travelling sideways blocking any evasive action I could've taken.. I stood on the brakes and cleaned out my trunk (and nearly my rectum), found my old pocketknife and $~2.00 in change, and - what really pissed me off - my 66 pound Lab pup found herself thrown from the couch the folded down rear seats create (I was in the Passat) to the passenger floorboard so fast I didn't even see it happen! Luckily I know just who to call in such situations and THP had her not even two miles from the scene as I returned from picking up my kid. Evidently they were thoughtfully helping her clean her car out, too; they had many different glass bud vases, bottles and bric-a-brac on the roof of her car! How thoughtful! They even indulged her S&M proclivities by handcuffing her and laying her face-down onto the hood of her car! Carma (sic): the THP had their own K9 helping out! Not normally one to indulge in das schadenfreude, I resisted the urge to stop and introduce myself to her didn't even honk).
But I digress...

That said, there has been more than one occasion while travelling alone on a deserted highway when I've eyed that switch and wondered if the previous owners ever lost any expensive jewelry in the car...

-Tom
Now my head is spinning!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeast
I did the mod and also checked the parking brake application whilst driving and yes, it'll lock up the rear brakes while rolling.
As far as I remember parking brake will not lock rear brakes, so no drifting. Used as emergency brake it would apply all four brakes and ABS.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

It doesn't lock mine up either, at least with 275 summers. And yes, it is fairly dramatic if not experienced before, though still not the "catapaulted through the inst. panel" (famous Saturn 5/Apollo 8 line) of full on ABS stop with quality tires from speed.

For clarity here, there are two different functions depending on vehicle speed (near stop or driving), so the answer may vary depending on which posters are thinking of which vehicle speeds when applied. The one I think most are referring to--normal driving--is really an actuation of ESP/ABS unit and doesn't involve the mechanical/motorized rear. That ABS/ESP one also lasts only as long as you hold the switch. The true parking brake motor one comes in only at very low speeds. Confusing maybe because both involve the same switch from the driver's perspective.

Worth knowing BTW if your life may depend on it, and part of why I tried it on both Audis with it to get the feel. The out of control Lexus/Toyota with the (experienced) SoCal CHP officer and others killed >100MPH that was the tipping point for the whole Toyota recall fiasco involved keyless apparently and maybe not realizing how to shut things down or get to an emergency stopping fall back in the stress of the moment.

Below is an image of the page from the relevant Audi SSP explaining the function:
Attached Thumbnails Emergency brake question-screen-shot-2016-02-04-4.59.15-pm.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-04-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bingo, You nailed it MP4. I tried the 'parking brake' lockup while rolling along at or around 5mph...maybe a bit less being apprehensive of flat spotting the rubber. It's a pretty cool system all-in-all.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I second that. It's a clever system when you read about it.

I noticed Mazda recently copied this system to its newest skyactive cars. My brother owns a couple of them, and their braking system acts very similarly to Audi's.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good information all around. Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeast
That was a good one, Tom. I'm glad no body was injured and hopefully you didn't have to change your boxers..*s The 'parking brake launch' is simply a modification done to the computer module in the system that allows you to activate the parking brake while at a traffic light for example, them simply roll onto the gas ever so lightly and the parking brake automatically releases and off you go...
Okay, now I remember parking brake hold. I though you guys meant a launch sequence like Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, etc., with a secret sequence of buttons/actions which resulted in the car holding still till you hit ~4K then all hell breaks loose when the electronic clutch(es) couple and brakes release. A guy let me drive his Murciélago and later he told me "gawd, I hope he doesn't know the launch control sequence". I was so nervous I didn't even try to remember it!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Glad you are okay Tom,
But how is your Pup, I am sure she was like WTH Dad, I nearly crapped in the car, OH you too Dad, damn.....
Pup's fine... Oh wait, maybe she had some brain damage - she is one nutty doggy! She's pretty used to my "spirited" driving. She usually lays down, but the other day she was fighting the Gs with a wide stance, and she was well-planted except for her tail, the weight of which surprise-"thwacked" me across the back of the head so hard I would not have believed it was her if not for the fact there was no one else in the car! I actually laughed out loud!

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
...For clarity here, there are two different functions depending on vehicle speed...

...Below is an image of the page from the relevant Audi SSP explaining the function:...
As usual , A+ info from both MP and Misha, thanks guys.