A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP/ABS & Parking brake malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ESP/ABS & Parking brake malfunction

My 2007 A8L 4.2 sport started showing ESP/ABS error and parking brake malfunction on the dash and a scan revealed the following...

005715 - Please check DTC Memory of ABS Controller
P1653 - 008 -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 49
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 168730 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.03.08
Time: 00:13:44

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

01327 - Control Module for Parking Aid (J446)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 13
Reset counter: 245
Date: 2015.03.07
Time: 18:41:26

00003 - Control Module
014 - Defective - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101110
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 77
Mileage: 70716 km

02596 - Rear Brake Pads Worn
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01111000
Fault Priority: 6
Reset counter: 205

After receiving these errors I changed my rear pads (all had 5mm left) following the rosstech steps and all seemed fine. I've done countless function test/adaptations on different days and the 'rear brake pads worn' error is still present, I set new pad thickness to 11mm and it holds this number. Today I went through the steps of opening the rear motors again as if changing pads and immediately closed them followed by function test/adaptation and nothing changed. I've also been setting and releasing the parking brake (which works fine) constantly to see if helps.

As for the ABS errors do these all refer to the controller located in the trunk? I disconnected the parking brake motors connected to the calipers to hit them with contact cleaner and managed to break the little tab on the motor side. I used safety wire to keep the connection. There's also a little connector below the parking brake motor motor which I cleaned out but I'm having trouble getting it to snap back into place, I used safety wire here as well. The red wire on my battery seems fine also.

Any input is appreciated, that constant chime alerting me to the fact there's a parking brake malfunction is getting very annoying.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Check the abs sensors... may be?

I didn't check my front brakes when I replace my pads, I don't know if the D3 is the same as the D2, they have ABS sensors on each hub.

I never had any problem while replacing my rear pads. Not even had to enter the thickness.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the post, I actually watched that awesome video before proceeding to change my rear pads. My pad change went smoothly, I'm just wondering if my codes are I now have are due to a faulty ABS/parking brake control module? If so I'll grab a used one for the mean time. For fault code '00003,' Rosstech says to check for a software update. Do I need to contact the dealer for this type of check?

Last edited by a_alyte; 03-13-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a_alyte
My 2007 A8L 4.2 sport started showing ESP/ABS error and parking brake malfunction on the dash and a scan revealed the following...

005715 - Please check DTC Memory of ABS Controller
P1653 - 008 -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 49
Reset counter: 255
Date: 2015.03.08
Time: 00:13:44

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

01327 - Control Module for Parking Aid (J446)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Reset counter: 245
Date: 2015.03.07
Time: 18:41:26

00003 - Control Module
014 - Defective - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101110
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 77
Mileage: 70716 km

02596 - Rear Brake Pads Worn
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01111000
Fault Priority: 6
Reset counter: 205

After receiving these errors I changed my rear pads (all had 5mm left) following the rosstech steps and all seemed fine. I've done countless function test/adaptations on different days and the 'rear brake pads worn' error is still present, I set new pad thickness to 11mm and it holds this number. Today I went through the steps of opening the rear motors again as if changing pads and immediately closed them followed by function test/adaptation and nothing changed. I've also been setting and releasing the parking brake (which works fine) constantly to see if helps.

As for the ABS errors do these all refer to the controller located in the trunk? I disconnected the parking brake motors connected to the calipers to hit them with contact cleaner and managed to break the little tab on the motor side. I used safety wire to keep the connection. There's also a little connector below the parking brake motor motor which I cleaned out but I'm having trouble getting it to snap back into place, I used safety wire here as well. The red wire on my battery seems fine also.

Any input is appreciated, that constant chime alerting me to the fact there's a parking brake malfunction is getting very annoying.
looks like you're having the same problem that i've been having.
good chance is that your ABS module is dead/malfunctioning. i got the 014- unit defective error recently and there's
no way to make it go away. i had access to a parts module from an 09, while it's not compatible with my 2005, plugging it in
and the defective module error went away. the abs module controls a lot of functions for the car, so if it's indicating a defective
control module, it could affect other things in car as well (power steering, speedometer, fuel range readout)

when my error came on, the parking brake worked for two days before deciding not to work at all anymore.

be very on the ball for replacements with matching part numbers because at some point during the years, the modules or the
we're changed. if i recall correctly, it's 04-mid06 and then on. you can also opt to have it rebuilt as well, if you have the time
to wait for the shipping.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by laychooba
good chance is that your ABS module is dead/malfunctioning. i got the 014- unit defective error recently and there's
no way to make it go away. i had access to a parts module from an 09, while it's not compatible with my 2005, plugging it in
and the defective module error went away. the abs module controls a lot of functions for the car, so if it's indicating a defective
control module, it could affect other things in car as well (power steering, speedometer, fuel range readout)

when my error came on, the parking brake worked for two days before deciding not to work at all anymore.

be very on the ball for replacements with matching part numbers because at some point during the years, the modules or the
we're changed. if i recall correctly, it's 04-mid06 and then on. you can also opt to have it rebuilt as well, if you have the time
I paid for a used module off eBay that was listed with the same part number. If I get two years out of it I'd be happy. Is the ABS module simply plug and play or does it require coding etc? Also, who rebuilds these modules?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I paid for a used module off eBay that was listed with the same part number. If I get two years out of it I'd be happy. Is the ABS module simply plug and play or does it require coding etc? Also, who rebuilds these modules?
yeah, that's the thing with swapping in a used module. you take the chance of it failing again.
cross your fingers that it'll last a couple of years.

generally when you'll plug it in, the coding with be 000000.
you will have to code it to your vehicle. if you go on the VCDS wiki page, the procedure to do
it will there. fairly easy.

just google it, there's a whole bunch of people that repair them. i haven't dealt with anyone
of them personally, so i wouldn't know who to recommend.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've tried following the wiki page to code my replacement brake module but it's not working for me. Can anyone point in the right direction or explain the steps if you've done this yourself?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've tried following the wiki page to code my replacement brake module but it's not working for me. Can anyone point in the right direction or explain the steps if you've done this yourself?
check the wiring of the harness that goes to the ABS module!

i was having similar problems like this not too long ago, the wires in plug
for the module we're corroded. you can pop the cap off the harness with a flat
end screw driver to see if any are broken, but it could also be further down the
harness.

you might have to remove the inner fender liner and unwrap more of the wire
loom. i was getting module defective codes from VCDS scans as well. i ended up
changing 4 of the ABS sensor wires.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by laychooba

I just pulled the ABS module from my wife's 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro over the weekend and now the car has no power steering. Is this because of the pulled module?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not seeing any wiring issues with the connector that goes to the brake module. Is the module plug and play or does it really need to be coded?

Quick Reply: ESP/ABS & Parking brake malfunction