A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP/ABS & Parking brake malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still dealing with this issue of abs and esp lights and not having any luck coding the used abs module I bought. I replaced my front right speed sensor since I was getting the (G45) code, the code is still present though. Since the brake light switch is not that expensive I was thinking of changing it just for the heck of it. Does the brake light switch always throw a code when its faulty, I'm not getting any such code.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a_alyte
Still dealing with this issue of abs and esp lights and not having any luck coding the used abs module I bought. I replaced my front right speed sensor since I was getting the (G45) code, the code is still present though. Since the brake light switch is not that expensive I was thinking of changing it just for the heck of it. Does the brake light switch always throw a code when its faulty, I'm not getting any such code.
If I were you (and if I caught this post earlier I would've suggested) I would have just taken mine out and had it rebuilt. It wouldn't have been gone no longer than a week, that way it would have been plug and play. A lot of ppl wouldn't condone this, but if you're not in icy, sandy, or any wheel slip conditions you could drive it without the module for that week. If you did though, spray (wd40)the plug and wrap it in something to keep it protected from dirt and debris.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05audiman
If I were you (and if I caught this post earlier I would've suggested) I would have just taken mine out and had it rebuilt. It wouldn't have been gone no longer than a week, that way it would have been plug and play. A lot of ppl wouldn't condone this, but if you're not in icy, sandy, or any wheel slip conditions you could drive it without the module for that week. If you did though, spray (wd40)the plug and wrap it in something to keep it protected from dirt and debris.
I've read about units being rebuilt but don't know who could do it. Do you have any experience with anyone?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a_alyte
I've read about units being rebuilt but don't know who could do it. Do you have any experience with anyone?
Cheap ABS, I haven't used them, will be soon. I do know two ppl who have used them and the price is low and they were satisfied.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, I'll give them a try.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you check the brake switch? (its in the cabin) If that goes south it can cause all kinds of funky *** codes to start showing up. Tell tale sign is you get a parking brake switch or esp error. Shut the car off wait a while drive it again and if the dashboard warning lights are gone (error is still stored in the module) you could have a bad brake switch.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
Did you check the brake switch? (its in the cabin) If that goes south it can cause all kinds of funky *** codes to start showing up. Tell tale sign is you get a parking brake switch or esp error. Shut the car off wait a while drive it again and if the dashboard warning lights are gone (error is still stored in the module) you could have a bad brake switch.
I was going to change the brake switch just for the heck of it since its on the cheaper side. But wouldn't their be a code stating something about the brake switch if it was bad? My code(s) mentions the abs module but nothing about the brake switch.

When my my car sits overnight the abs and esp light are no longer on the dash but they reappear within about a minute of starting the car, even if the car doesn't move.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Have you checked the condition of the wiring loom near the ABS module? Quite a few examples of late where the insulation perishing has been the cause of hard to trace ABS faults.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

have same abs problems like you. its a nightmare. did the rebuilt off the ABS but was no good. got a used one from eBay for 210$, was no good. got my refund. got second abs from eBay and this time its working. (after coding the unit, took 4 hours, not easy)
then found some wires are no good.( insulation no good). my mechanic drove the car today and all was perfect, till 2 hours later the abs light comes on, but then goes away. we think more wires are no good. still working on it. will info you. good luck
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Have you checked the condition of the wiring loom near the ABS module? Quite a few examples of late where the insulation perishing has been the cause of hard to trace ABS faults.
Not sure what to look for really, I have taken a look before and noticed nothing obvious.

Quick Reply: ESP/ABS & Parking brake malfunction