A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Estimate cost of repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Estimate cost of repairs

High guys. i just had my oil changed on my 2 week old 2008 A8L. (5w40 sync) i live in new jersey. i have a couple of issues and was quoted some prices and i wanted to see if these make sense. all prices include labor

Torque mount leaking- $615
leaking drivers valve cover- $230
tune up- $610 replace air filter, cabin filter, spark plugs and fuel filter.

the tune up would normally consist of a oil change but since i already had this done i requested to include the trans fluid change. car has 85k. they said this would total out to $700. I feel this is a little high for the tune up. i can change most of that myself but dropping the car off also seems nice. is there much of a gap between me performing the tune up and ordering the parts vs having the indi shop do it?

the torque mount and valve cover will definitely be done by them because i do not want to perform this repair myself.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost for the torque mount and the valve cover gasket seem okay. The other prices do seem about high....
A set of spark plugs should be about $60- $80, cabin air filter $40, engine air filter $25. Labor on spark plugs should be about and hour to two hours I would guess. So parts should cost around $150 or so and labor maybe an extra $150/200 from my perspective...

Last edited by Junius; 05-16-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default "Tune Up Items"

Originally Posted by audigy187
High guys. i just had my oil changed on my 2 week old 2008 A8L. (5w40 sync) i live in new jersey. i have a couple of issues and was quoted some prices and i wanted to see if these make sense. all prices include labor

the tune up would normally consist of a oil change but since i already had this done i requested to include the trans fluid change. car has 85k. they said this would total out to $700. I feel this is a little high for the tune up. i can change most of that myself but dropping the car off also seems nice. is there much of a gap between me performing the tune up and ordering the parts vs having the indi shop do it?

the torque mount and valve cover will definitely be done by them because i do not want to perform this repair myself.
Do you have service history for this car? Spark plugs are supposed to be done at 55K then every 60K, so either that's overdue or too early. Fuel filter is not a tune up item. The rest is easy DIY. Trans fluid is lifetime, but some have done it and it's not cheap. I would not pay $610 for the tune up.
Attached Images  
Attached Files
Old 05-16-2016, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

ATF and filter change is worth doing. Audi say lifetime, but there is no such thing. Audi's version of "lifetime" is 8 years or 80k miles. If your car has met either of those milestones and you want it performing it's best then you should do it. It makes quite a noticeable difference to the shift quality. This is inline with ZF's (trans manufacturer) recommendations too.

ZF OEM ATF can be pricey if you don't shop around. But there are several equally as good alternatives around such as Redline D6 which is a lot cheaper. This is what I used and 10k miles later it's still smooth as warm butter.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me, I'd have the shop do the torque mount and trans fluid change. All the other stuff is not that hard to DIY; as long as you have the time. If you have the time to do these things you'll save some $$$. This site is an excellent resource when looking how to perform these things. I just bought plugs for mine, cost me $87 for the OEM NGKs, $18 for air filter, $40 cabin filter(all easy to DIY). But, if you have someone do these things for you, you have to pay them for their time and expertise.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

of everything you listed... the valve cover gasket is what gave me the most issues, all because of the location of 1 bolt, so much frustration, i drove it to a shop with new gasket in hand and had them do it for $45 after jack88 and i successfully did the timing belt / water pump (mechanic had a good laugh at that). trans fluid, filter, gasket change is super simple with the kit from blauparts, but only if you have a lift and enjoy taking out 5 thousand bolts on the trans pan.... if you dont have a lift, save yourself the frusteration and have it done. $6-700 doesnt seem high at all if you're including the trans fluid / filter change since the parts for that come to $230 ish alone (dealer is around that price for JUST trans fluid / filter). dont waste your $$$ on new fluid if you're not going to change the filter (my opinion)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

A SET of the exact, genuine spark plugs are more like $125.00 and we'll worth the price (IMHO). Those prices seem fair as a shop has bills and overhead to pay. Customers pay for this. Otherwise save big and do it yourself.

My somewhat loose rule is if the labor is cheaper than the part cost, I have a shop do the job.

I'm curious at your choice of Blah for the timing belt kit. They were dishonest with me and I will never support them again. I started two threads, one in 2011 and another in 2013 or 14 detailing my experience with the garbage they pedal. Let us know how long the water pump as well as timing belt itself lasts. Also note the serp belt (supposedly better now but no effort to correct the ticking bombs they sold to an unsuspecting public) failed when I was over 800 miles from home with my son. It's a good thread with pictures.

Maybe I misunderstood and you only bought the transmission fluid kit from them.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
A SET of the exact, genuine spark plugs are more like $125.00 and we'll worth the price (IMHO). Those prices seem fair as a shop has bills and overhead to pay. Customers pay for this. Otherwise save big and do it yourself.

My somewhat loose rule is if the labor is cheaper than the part cost, I have a shop do the job.

I'm curious at your choice of Blah for the timing belt kit. They were dishonest with me and I will never support them again. I started two threads, one in 2011 and another in 2013 or 14 detailing my experience with the garbage they pedal. Let us know how long the water pump as well as timing belt itself lasts. Also note the serp belt (supposedly better now but no effort to correct the ticking bombs they sold to an unsuspecting public) failed when I was over 800 miles from home with my son. It's a good thread with pictures.

Maybe I misunderstood and you only bought the transmission fluid kit from them.
I only got the tranny kit from them, the timing belt kit was a continental since there were issues with the ones from blau at the time (Jack88 ordered it, not sure from where), water pumps going out prematurely or something.... prob nothing, but enough to spook me off. sold that car not long ago when I got a hold of Mishas A8, so far so good though, the new owner still calls me with questions from time to time "how does this work?"

I'll have to look for your old posts, if blau is being ******, i have no problem shifting my business elsewhere based on how they treat another AW bro
Old 05-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not bad if they using all genuine dealer parts, oils and plugs....
Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamoye Lewis
not bad if they using all genuine dealer parts, oils and plugs....
Spark plugs from the OEM already cost like close that, so NO, that's NOT for oem parts.

W12 spark plugs total almost 700€ from audi + labor. V8 plugs are also close to that as far as I know

Air filter is like 60€, fuel fiter the same, cabin filter roughly, so 150-200€ for filters.

Tranny oil should be flushed with 18L if done By the book, part change is like 5-6L. Oil is somewhat 60e / Liter / quart from Audi, ZF or equivalent can be found for 15-20€/L. Filter and gasket like 70€.

But these are EURO prices, i suspect you in the US have those parts for close to nothing.

Just FYI, W12 OIL CHANGE + Cabin filter totaled 670€ here in Finland. 12L engine oil (298€ = 27€/L!!!!), one oil filter (26€), one cabin filter (45€) + 2h labor (302€ 151€/h!!!).

Last edited by volvopentaman; 05-19-2016 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Estimate cost of repairs