A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell Audi awesomeness (sorta), hello new German auto(likely)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by carl viking
Not sure why you wouldn't chip it? Some (esp vendors...) would argue it's safer to chip today than back in the last turbo wave.
Would 100% not chip it DURING warranty. Immediately drops an unremovable electronic flag in any Audi built in at least last several years. That immediately punches your warranty, figure at least for motor, tranny, diffs, motor electronics and who knows what else.

Yes, agreed w/ turbos the N.A. ones like W12 just can't keep up, other than on maybe instantaneous torque, plus they remain loaded to the max equipment wise. Read any 4.0T review and somewhere in it there is always a little throat clearing before either the words "minor lag" or something like "tad of delay" surface. Usually followed though by words like rocket and thrust and the like.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Would 100% not chip it DURING warranty. Immediately drops an unremovable electronic flag in any Audi built in at least last several years. That immediately punches your warranty, figure at least for motor, tranny, diffs, motor electronics and who knows what else.

Yes, agreed w/ turbos the N.A. ones like W12 just can't keep up, other than on maybe instantaneous torque, plus they remain loaded to the max equipment wise. Read any 4.0T review and somewhere in it there is always a little throat clearing before either the words "minor lag" or something like "tad of delay" surface. Usually followed though by words like rocket and thrust and the like.
On warranty - agreed. Missed that part of your post.
On the lag - maybe. Not so sure after driving one, and the slushbox covers it pretty well. I think the lag is maybe even more related to the gearbox versus true turbolag.
Sad fact - we think we have heat soak in our motors with plastic going brittle etc. Imagine the inverted V8 with the turbos in the middle after 8-10 years...
Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by carl viking
Sad fact - we think we have heat soak in our motors with plastic going brittle etc. Imagine the inverted V8 with the turbos in the middle after 8-10 years...
Agreed too; things like that and general peak stresses and turbo heat may make the D4 W12 the quiet marathon runner of the bunch. LWB is feeling a little "long" to me these days though as an empty nester--til I get in back seat. But, can't seem find much in a D4 W12 anyway that is something other than black on black and a four seater; where I want a five and something visually more alive rather than stone cold sober. They are sliding steeply in price though as used ones, but not very many around in general. The W12 now has a great cylinder on demand set up too that--unlike any of the others--fires all the cylinders in two rotating sets. The 4.0 set ups always fire the same 4. Longevity and heat load improvements most likely in general with that now built in, but thats only 2015 forward for W12's, with a bit of mileage pick up to go with it.

Still tends to come back to D4 S8 on balance if I went there/here, which makes no apologies performance wise compared to 99% of what is out there. Or the default: just keep on motoring in the well maintained D3 W12 that runs strong w/ cheap $ gas and await the D5 w/ a likely clear leap forward.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-06-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When it comes to entertaining guests, nothing says WOW like a A8L-W12 with the dual rear seats with heat/cool/massage, B&O, rear climate controls, refrigerator, and the rear seat entertainment options. Of course I would keep "The Transporter" loaded in the DVD player.

The next car I get will have all that plus a few other options like the wood steering wheel, ACC, etc.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the big CL coupes. My big fear on those would be the suspension and working on that monster of an engine. I have a feeling it would make any D3/4 seem cheap in comparison. I'd almost be tempted to go for the CL500/550 instead
Old 10-07-2015, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 05audiman
S8 is a beast, I know that, but we're talking about two cars that are 5 years apart. The point something second difference is kinda irrelevant since I doubt I'll take anything luxury to a track. The price difference is where it's at, and that's huge. I kinda opened up a can of worms when I mentioned a Mercedes in an Audi forum. It's like saying you prefer Smith and Wesson on a glock forum lol.
The numbers I pulled for the CL65 were actually the 2013 model, and even the CL600 was little changed at that point. A 2013 A8L 4.0t will outrun them, as well, although I believe the Mercedes has better throttle response. The 5-speed automatic they come with is one I'm familiar with, and it's a real sweetheart.

In any case, while you hurried to defend your position, I think you missed the bit where I said I do really like the CL's. You can't get much more straight line speed for under 30k than a V12 Mercedes. For me, handling is more important than straight line speed, hence my decision. The Mercedes will pamper you all day long, does wicked burnouts, and can scare the pants off your mother in law from a red light. If you get one, you will enjoy it everywhere but the gas pump.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just one guy's opinion, but here goes:

When shopping for a car this past spring I went specifically looking for a big S-class or E class AMG. That's all I was interested in. I sat in dozens, and drove a handful of AMG Merc's. The power was awesome. What I was not floored by, however, was the overall durability of the plastics and interior finishing bits. Every single one I sat in or drove had at least a handfull of missing or broken interior bits. At first I thought it was just the way a few of them were treated, but later on- after seeing it in EVERY SINGLE ONE I looked at, I began to get a feeling that it was the construction of the parts- especially the plastics.

After a disappointing day looking at Merc's I sat my butt in my current A8 on a whim. I looked around, found no broken plastic bits, and then drove it- and fell in love.

Same vintage as the Merc's I had been looking at, but everything on the Audi was correct.

So, from my experience, Merc plastics and interior bits don't hold up as well over the long run.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
I love the big CL coupes. My big fear on those would be the suspension and working on that monster of an engine. I have a feeling it would make any D3/4 seem cheap in comparison. I'd almost be tempted to go for the CL500/550 instead
Maybe the cl63 amg. It's still a 8 cylinder, just charged up.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
The numbers I pulled for the CL65 were actually the 2013 model, and even the CL600 was little changed at that point. A 2013 A8L 4.0t will outrun them, as well, although I believe the Mercedes has better throttle response. The 5-speed automatic they come with is one I'm familiar with, and it's a real sweetheart.

In any case, while you hurried to defend your position, I think you missed the bit where I said I do really like the CL's. You can't get much more straight line speed for under 30k than a V12 Mercedes. For me, handling is more important than straight line speed, hence my decision. The Mercedes will pamper you all day long, does wicked burnouts, and can scare the pants off your mother in law from a red light. If you get one, you will enjoy it everywhere but the gas pump.
I believe they come with 7 speeds now. I'm getting killed by my Audi at the gas pump now, I also have a 71 Monte Carlo LS powered and it too kills me at the pump, I'm used to it. It really does turn well tho, I'm going back for another drive later today. I actually did a little more research and I think the same year 63amg would be better. As mentioned above I'm afraid of that engine, think I'll stick to a tuned charged up 8. Oh yeah I saw a few bids of real racing between the two. Wheel spin kills the Benz every time, tho I'm not sure why they didn't use launch control. I even saw a RS 7 destroy a hellcat due to wheel spin which also has launch control. All four wheels and power can't be beat in a quarter mile, that's obvious. I'm noe searching for a CL63 amg! I will drive that and the Monte Carlo in the summer months, and my Audi all winter as I have no wish to get rid of it.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
Just one guy's opinion, but here goes:

When shopping for a car this past spring I went specifically looking for a big S-class or E class AMG. That's all I was interested in. I sat in dozens, and drove a handful of AMG Merc's. The power was awesome. What I was not floored by, however, was the overall durability of the plastics and interior finishing bits. Every single one I sat in or drove had at least a handfull of missing or broken interior bits. At first I thought it was just the way a few of them were treated, but later on- after seeing it in EVERY SINGLE ONE I looked at, I began to get a feeling that it was the construction of the parts- especially the plastics.

After a disappointing day looking at Merc's I sat my butt in my current A8 on a whim. I looked around, found no broken plastic bits, and then drove it- and fell in love.

Same vintage as the Merc's I had been looking at, but everything on the Audi was correct.

So, from my experience, Merc plastics and interior bits don't hold up as well over the long run.
This could be true, but the one I experienced was mint nothing missing.

Quick Reply: Farewell Audi awesomeness (sorta), hello new German auto(likely)