A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Audi A8L 2007, 68k mi!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Audi A8L 2007, 68k mi!

2007 A8L with 68k miles. Excellent Condition!

Certified 'til July 2014.
Premium Package
Sport Package
Alcantara Package
Front Seat Ventilation & Massage
Dual Rear Seat Climate Control
Sirium Satellite Radio
Audi Music Interface
Radar

Recent Brake pads/rotors, battery, TPMS, Brake Fluid.

This is my first Audi. Have had 3 BMW(740i, X5, 525i), 2 Acura(TL, RL), 2 Lexus(GS, LX). I've had it for just a few days but so far I'm liking it very much. Hopely it stays trouble free. Plan on having it tinted 35%.

What are some of the common things to look out for with this car?
Attached Images     
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice- Congrats - just enjoy the car - don't worry about anything - It looks like everything was done to the car -

Share your price for others to have a base.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome!

If you plan to keep her buy Ross-Tech VCDS and Bentley Manual. They will pay them self in a no time even if you don't do things yourself. Also search this forum and ask.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Nice- Congrats - just enjoy the car - don't worry about anything - It looks like everything was done to the car -

Share your price for others to have a base.

Cheers,

Louis
Paid $21,500.

seller bought it as certified last July and only had it for 11 mths, while he waited for his brand new Tesla to arrive, hence his reason for sale. got to take a look at his new Tesla too.

was asking $25,500 but was willing to sell, is retired, & lives in a 2 mil. home. so gently haggled with him a bit.

i think it was pretty good deal considering the car had been dealer maintained, had all services done, & had 1 yr remaining certified warranty.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Great price - my ex owner also got his Testla S also -

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Welcome; long term watch list for D3's

Welcome. Sounds like a very attractive purchase.

Here's a list of possible watch areas longer term that I did for a QW post about extended warranties. I'll edit the warranty debate stuff out, but since you are CPO definitely keep these watch areas in mind for any issues you see. From my CPO experience they are typically covered, so give the car a thorough inspection pre CPO expiration and save yourself a possible bunch of later out of pocket repair $:

1. Front upper control arms, plus the alignment that will likely go with the work. On a D3, these are a "when" not an "if."

2. Lower links at front torsion bar. Same issue as above. Longer lived than upper control arms, but they will likely show some wear inside of 100K. Very easy to change as a DIY and don't affect alignment; parts aren't expensive big picture either.

3. Adaptive air suspension. Early year owners report a lot more; can't tell yet if it will afflict all years or if reliability increased w/ later year builds.

4. Battery failure and related power management module gotcha's. Commonly it is just the battery choking at its expected lifetime, but often owners go thru some frustration to get to bottom of it.

5. TPMS sensors. Will fail every 5-6 years. CPO does cover these BTW IF the light is on, so watch it right before your six year mark; that is almost exactly when the internal batteries tend to die.

6. MMI screen lift mechanism. Earlier years seem to get this problem more; by 2006 it hasn't seemed to come up much so far anyway.

7. Rear tail lights that sometimes leak and fail on earlier D3's (posted on only rarely to be clear).

8. Timing belt maintenance; but not relevant for the 2007+'s that are FSI, or any W12.

9. Various A/C sensor and door issues.

10. On any car with B&0, the front magically rising dash speakers--rarely posted these days, but had a TSB and posts by first owners early on after intro about mechanical issues w/ them.

11. Motor mounts, and torque support mount at earlier miles on W12's and maybe S8's.

12. Valve cover gaskets.

13. CV boots. Unlike my prior Audis, so far no issues and I rarely see any posts on these either.

14. Once in a while on a D3, a wheel bearing, but not really a weakness that I sense beyond the background level of most any vehicle.

15. Bluetooth connection complaints. My continuing sense is it is most commonly the phone, but owners often seem to want to just assume it must be the car electronics w/ out having tried other phones.

16. Trunk lift mechanicals and motor. Car was recalled several times in first few years for it in several repair attempts, including revised hinges. Seemed to get sorted better after first few years production.

Notice what's missing--core mechanical stuff like motor internals, trannies, rear diff, steering rack, alternator, etc. On a D2, the old 5 speed ZF tranny was a "when" not an if, and by +/- 100K many were rebuilt at $4,000 and up. 4.2 has been a good soldier for many years generally, and the 6 speed ZF and quattro mechanicals seem in good order performance and reliability wise. Said another way, its not the D3 mechanicals but maybe the electronics and complicated systems that cause the worries. We have some water pump posts lately (again more difficult in turn with the earlier 4.2's with the timing belt drive), but not much more.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Well thought out and put MP4.2+6.0
Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

There was a 2004 with over 200k miles for sale around here recently (looked like it was in good shape too), so it is a good sign for owners that care for their vehicles!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Any Audi would run 200k miles if you don't touch them often - If it works, don't fix it. What's made to fail, will fail, when it fails, just fix it.

Audis are opposite from women - the less you touch, the longer it will last.

Ask Mr. Bally, he seems to be the only one here that actually owns an A8 and uses it more than anyone.

I bought the VCDS, I throw it in the trunk - never touch it until any warning lights come one. Don't buy VCDS and monkey with it to screw up your car. For just clear the warning lights, any cheap OBDII would do, these day, shipping takes only a few days, wait until it fails then buy, still OK. Bentley is a outdated rip-off software, don't buy. People up here will post PDF of what's needed easily.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got a great deal on a beautiful car! Congrats!

Quick Reply: First Audi A8L 2007, 68k mi!