A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Food For Thought

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Food For Thought

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxim1iAnaVY

Hey guys have a look at the video and let me know what you think. In the video the person is using a Soft Tube Flexible Led Strip as their DRL and Indicator. That isn't my vehicle, I found this while browsing in YouTube, however I am thinking of venturing down this path. I am not a fan of the switch back (drl to indicator), if it was primarily used as only a drl then I'd consider it.

Personally I think taking a bumper off, removing both headlights, then taking apart the headlights, installing drl and then resealing them and putting everything back together is a lot of time spent. I'm thinking of the subtle approach of inserting the drl in the very bottom slot (below the fog grill) or install the drl beneath the headlight in the crease between the headlight and the bumper.

Also one of the pros is that if you're suiting a led bulb as your drl (inside the headlight) wiring this led tube to that headlight drl input should essentially get rid of that "Bulb Out" indicator on your dash as now you are drawing enough power to rival the halogen bulb which was in there before.

Any advice, criticism, let me know.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

My opinion on stuff like this is don't waste your time. Either do it properly and figure out how to do it with updated OEM parts or don't do it at all. You're not going to fool anyone who would ever notice such a modification into thinking that it's not some DIY lash up in a vain attempt to make the car appear newer than it is.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The unknown here is : what do the headlights look like in the daytime ? Do they look like a cobbled-up tasteless hack-job; or did he do a really slick install that looks like it could be something factory.

Last edited by awdinut; 11-29-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome if you're going for the ebay/pepboys look
Old 11-26-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
Looks awesome if you're going for the ebay/pepboys look
Yeah that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, I wanted to have an updated look and make it seem factory, but just not sure how to attain that. It's not like we are assuming it is "impossible" to give the D3 and updated look using LEDs without giving it the Rice Box effect.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I personally like the way it looks but have no desire to rip my headlights apart and try to put them back together again.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeK1D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxim1iAnaVY

Hey guys have a look at the video and let me know what you think. In the video the person is using a Soft Tube Flexible Led Strip as their DRL and Indicator. That isn't my vehicle, I found this while browsing in YouTube, however I am thinking of venturing down this path. I am not a fan of the switch back (drl to indicator), if it was primarily used as only a drl then I'd consider it.

Personally I think taking a bumper off, removing both headlights, then taking apart the headlights, installing drl and then resealing them and putting everything back together is a lot of time spent. I'm thinking of the subtle approach of inserting the drl in the very bottom slot (below the fog grill) or install the drl beneath the headlight in the crease between the headlight and the bumper.

Also one of the pros is that if you're suiting a led bulb as your drl (inside the headlight) wiring this led tube to that headlight drl input should essentially get rid of that "Bulb Out" indicator on your dash as now you are drawing enough power to rival the halogen bulb which was in there before.

Any advice, criticism, let me know.
Every car I've seen with the LED after market mod on it has been really obvious it was aftermarket. If that's what you're going for, alright, but if you're looking for a might-be-factory look, I would suggest avoiding that mod.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mods, delete this thread please. I can't even think of food after yesterday!!!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeK1D
Yeah that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, I wanted to have an updated look and make it seem factory, but just not sure how to attain that. It's not like we are assuming it is "impossible" to give the D3 and updated look using LEDs without giving it the Rice Box effect.
The only way you can make it seem factory is by using factory parts. Anything else will give it the home made Rice Box effect.

May I suggest instead doing the VCDS mod and changing the lights to Canadian mode. Then the fogs operate at DRL's instead. You can even put some LED bulbs in for full effect and it's completely factory.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

I don't think it looks bad in the video, but I would want to see one during the day light. The night could be hiding some bubba install.