A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end drops

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Ignore the sticky at the top of the D3 thread to your peril......
Old 05-22-2016, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Digimurda1
Sorry, i did not ignore any of the advice, as for parking it to not make matters worse i just couldnt because its my daily driver and had no other way to get to and from work, I appreciate all the advice ive gotten, i really do, i only posted the message from today as an update to the front end completely being down with the compressor still running, to see if there has been any history of leaks elsewhere other than the strut with my simptons.
Again sorry, not here to annoy anyone and appreciate all the help.
There are bargains out there for rental cars, and likely would have cost less in the long run. If you can afford a D3, you should be able to pick up the tab on a rental car from time to time.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
There are bargains out there for rental cars, and likely would have cost less in the long run. If you can afford a D3, you should be able to pick up the tab on a rental car from time to time.
Yea sure
Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default This is Really Not An AUDI/D3 Issue...

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Ignore the sticky at the top of the D3 thread to your peril......
...as just about everyone learns with their first car ownership experience that continuing to drive a broken car greatly exacerbates the chance of further damage. Does one really need to be told not to continue to drive a car with a CEL, burst RAD hose, or blown head gasket? And when you are specifically and repeatedly warned by experienced owners that driving a D3 with a leaky air suspension will toast your compressor?
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
...as just about everyone learns with their first car ownership experience that continuing to drive a broken car greatly exacerbates the chance of further damage. Does one really need to be told not to continue to drive a car with a CEL, burst RAD hose, or blown head gasket? And when you are specifically and repeatedly warned by experienced owners that driving a D3 with a leaky air suspension will toast your compressor?
The compressor is not toast, as you can read im mt post its still running.
and once again, sorry, UNDERSTOOD!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Alright, easy. The point is true of any car, that there are certain things that when broke, the car should not be driven. It wouldn't matter if you had a Camry, driving through problems can only make it worse. Telling you to park it was meant as an idea to save you money. Uber is cheaper than a rental, and the bus even cheaper than that, assuming you couldn't throw a coworker or friend a few bucks to get you to work. Spend the $600 for an Arnott strut and the $2-300 for an independent shop to install it, and hope your compressor isn't burnt out. Note for the future, just because a car will move under it's own power does not mean it is drivable. An overheating compressor is a fire hazard, and frankly I'm amazed it hasn't self destructed already at this point.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Alright, easy. The point is true of any car, that there are certain things that when broke, the car should not be driven. It wouldn't matter if you had a Camry, driving through problems can only make it worse. Telling you to park it was meant as an idea to save you money. Uber is cheaper than a rental, and the bus even cheaper than that, assuming you couldn't throw a coworker or friend a few bucks to get you to work. Spend the $600 for an Arnott strut and the $2-300 for an independent shop to install it, and hope your compressor isn't burnt out. Note for the future, just because a car will move under it's own power does not mean it is drivable. An overheating compressor is a fire hazard, and frankly I'm amazed it hasn't self destructed already at this point.
Thank you.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hi all'
I found a donor a8 with 60k for parts, the air struts are good on it, the car's engine went bad and the guy is selling it for parts in my area, I got my car checked and was told my driver side air strut is totally blown, with a really bad leak, my question is will I be ok with just replacing the driver side or should I swap both?
I searched for an answer on this but couldn't find anything.

thanks
Old 05-25-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Digimurda1
hi all'
I found a donor a8 with 60k for parts, the air struts are good on it, the car's engine went bad and the guy is selling it for parts in my area, I got my car checked and was told my driver side air strut is totally blown, with a really bad leak, my question is will I be ok with just replacing the driver side or should I swap both?
I searched for an answer on this but couldn't find anything.

thanks
Just the blown side will be enough.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I know you're probably tired of getting advice but we are all really trying to help. I say all that because I want you to consider that even though the donor car only has 60k miles these air struts don't necessarily fail due to mileage. Age plays a big part as well. Also air struts that have been sitting in the same position for a long time (i.e. on a car with a blown motor) might fail pretty quickly. I would consider spending the money on a proper replacement.

Having said that my car is a 2005 with nearly 150k miles. It appears to have the original struts. But I'm prepared for them to fail any day now (most likely at the least convenient time).

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

Quick Reply: Front end drops