A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end shimmey felt in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Have not seen much on the 150.00 upper control arm sets

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Read the sticky at the top of the D3 thread. Search. I started two threads, one in May or June of 2014 which I had to deal with an impossible to remove pinch bolt and then in December, 2014 wher the job was simple.

I only replaced bushings since the ball joints are fine and I have a press. Like the sticky warns, don't get sucked in by low priced garbage complete new control arms. You will be sorry like many threads here show.
Read the sticky and heed it. Several of us posters put it together to help.
Remember someone saying they were about to install the cheap Chinese upper control arms. I have them for a little more than I paid for Lemforeder bushings.
The upper arms are not complicated or massive. But 30-40 dollars for the arm, ballpoint, and bushing sounds too cheap.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys - Sorry - I have read the sticky, and many other posts, and know about the issue with bushings. Originally posted to see if that is what most thought it to be the wheel shimmy/vibration was most likely to be. Then was inquiring if there was a post that had the proper/exact step by step process (which I have seen on many of the issues I have had to tackle thankfully posted by others), and help more novice audi tinkerers like me. There were many articulations or specific problems/solutions along the way but, I was not able to find a step by step, so apologize if it seemed I had not looked.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Thanks. Per the sticky...

And per the sticky, sometimes...that's what manuals like Bentley and alldata are for if you don't have the background/prior suspension experience to be comfortable just jumping in. I have both, and still look at them for quite a few things. I would not go for "crowd sourcing" here on the specifics of "how to" in general--aka I read "it" (in 50 flavors) on the Internet so it must be right.

For the "color commentary" like tips on things like the pinch bolt, general issue spotting, what is OES, risks/real "costs" of cheaping out on a lot of the aftermarket junk parts, work arounds for loosening inner bolts with tight clearances, other jobs that can make sense to do at same time like headlight bulbs (since wheel liner comes out as a practical matter), etc. board can be good as a supplement since shop manuals don't get into that kind of stuff.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-22-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

After reading as much as I could, I spent the day replacing upper front and rear arms (Lemforder OES arms and sway bar links). All went pretty straight forward - except being from Boston(salt/snow) I turned the pincher bolt once and the head snapped off (even though dousing with penetrating oil for 3 days). Came out pretty easy by tightening nut until end of threads - then unloosening and putting washers in - tightening again and pulling it through - did that as far as I could then sledged from the other side. installed all new bolts, with anti seize. Question....I read that bolts should be tightened up with weight of car. I installed wheels back, and find it almost impossible to get to the side arm bolts with any wrenches and would love any tips and tricks for torquing these to specs with car back on ground. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default On bolt tightening--how to's:

Good work.

On bolt tightening, I did it by basically putting things back together in several steps. Probably that's too late for you, but I have another simple idea/method.

In my case, after I got new arms in, I left bolts just barely snug. Then with wheel liners still off I put the wheels back on, put weight on the suspension and tightened it up firmly. Then with it up in air again and wheels off, I gave them the final tightening, put fender liners back in and wheels on for last time.

In your case if wheel liners are (back) in, try plan B. With weight on the wheels, simply note the arm position relative to vertical/level. Basically they should be sitting about "flat" with weight on wheels. Or, take a measurement, like from the top of the arm ball joint up to some point in the fender liner area. Now go ahead and take wheel off, take out the pinch bolt again, free up the arms and then bolt them down tight on the bushing end. Simplified version of this is basically to bolt them so they stick straight out--90 degrees to vertical. That is their approximate position if you look (varies a bit by sport/non sport, any VCDS height tweaks you did, if you leave it in sport/dynamic typically, etc.) In any case, once you bolt them firmly in the typical approximate at rest position, just pull them down and use pinch bolt to get them back in place. They aren't very hard to pull down one at a time, and the force you are using is no different than they are under when you jack up a front wheel.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-27-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks MP - I had not reinstalled inner linings yet - so I will re-jack and do final tightening.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Take the wheels off, support under the lower arms at the wheels end, lower the car to those supports and tight those bolts.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Put the jacks under lower arms at wheels end and drop car onto that w/o wheels? Can you tell me exactly what u mean by wheels end/where to support? At the furthest outside end of the lower control arm? Thanks Mishar
Old 02-28-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiBoston34
Put the jacks under lower arms at wheels end and drop car onto that w/o wheels? Can you tell me exactly what u mean by wheels end/where to support? At the furthest outside end of the lower control arm? Thanks Mishar
I meant supports like a wooden blocks or similar and yes, outside end of the lower arms, under those big nuts. That way suspension will carry the weight and come close to the normal working position. Switch off Jacking Mode too so it will adjust exactly to that level. Don't forget to turn it on before you lift the car to put your wheels back on. Be very careful while working under the car. Always think what would happen if it fall of the support.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks very much Mishar. I was going to actually ask about the jack mode and if that would affect setup. Have a bigger fish to fry now..........after loosening the knuckle to retighten at the appropriate suspension level, I noticed a crack on the knuckle where the pincher bolt tightens it---used a screw driver to inspect------it broke right off!!! So cars out of commission, but I was lucky to find an OEM knuckle on eBay and shipping it out overnight.....I guess I have more reading to do on replacing this.

Quick Reply: Front end shimmey felt in steering wheel