A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front knuckle/spindle

Old 01-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front knuckle/spindle

I need to purchase a front left spindle, I was hoping to get a used one. But I can't find the specific part number for my short base and the L is a different part number.

4E0407254R (long base)
4E0407253R (short base)

Does anyone know if the actual spindle is interchangeable between the L and short base? I thought I read something similar about bushings with different price/ part numbers but being identical, was hoping for the same here.

Going through upper control arm seized pin hell right now.

Thanks in advanced as always

Mokaz
2005 A8 (short)

Last edited by Mokaz; 01-29-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mokaz
I need to purchase a front left spindle, I was hoping to get a used one. But I can't find the specific part number for my short base and the L is a different part number.

4E0407254R (long base)
4E0407253R (short base)

Does anyone know if the actual spindle is interchangeable between the L and short base? I thought I read something similar about bushings with different price/ part numbers but being identical, was hoping for the same here.

Going through upper control arm seized pin hell right now.

Thanks in advanced as always

Mokaz
2005 A8 (short)
Search this forum for my experience from May of 2014. I had the same thing on the driver's side. you just remove everything and press out the bushings and press in new ones. I actually managed to hold everything myself while pressing them on my Harbor Freight 12 ton press. With a helper, it would have been easier.

I replaced the wheel bearing & stretch bolt while I was in there so I wouldn't have to later.

Ironically, the passenger side went way easier in December, 2014 (thread also posted; search for it by my user name.

Basically, I don't understand why you need a spindle unless you had a bad wheel bearing and ruined the spindle.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-29-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Knuckles are probably a bit different since the longer wheel base requires a bit different steering geometry.

Edit: No they are not different. That's just left and right knuckle.

Last edited by mishar; 01-29-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Basically, I don't understand why you need a spindle unless you had a bad wheel bearing and ruined the spindle.
Maybe a strut or upper control arm removal gone bad? Pinch bolt sometimes strips out.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 707chris
Maybe a strut or upper control arm removal gone bad? Pinch bolt sometimes strips out.
Right, my pinch bolt broke off. I removed the knuckle and both control arms as an assembly, replaced the uca bushings and replaced the assembly. That's what I am suggesting the OP do.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Knuckles are probably a bit different since the longer wheel base requires a bit different steering geometry.

Edit: No they are not different. That's just left and right knuckle.

Mishar,

Just to make sure I understand correctly. You are saying that the knuckles <b>are</b> interchangeable?

Or are you saying the part numbers I listed are for the L and R knuckles

Here are links to Audi Parts

Short Base Knuckle

Long Base Knuckle

So the pinch bolt snapped and I can't get the middle portion out. Its very very corroded so a new spindle is the way I was planning on going. I don't have many fancy tools. Maybe I should have taken a different route when removing the arms. If you guys think I have other options please let me know
Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you do not have tools to do so, I recommend taking your spindle to a machine shop. They can definitely get that pinch bold out for you likely for under $50.00 just an idea, and much easier than sourcing a new spindle.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mishar,

Just to make sure I understand correctly. You are saying that the knuckles <b>are</b> interchangeable?

Or are you saying the part numbers I listed are for the L and R knuckles

Here are links to Audi Parts

Short Base Knuckle

Long Base Knuckle

So the pinch bolt snapped and I can't get the middle portion out. Its very very corroded so a new spindle is the way I was planning on going. I don't have many fancy tools. Maybe I should have taken a different route when removing the arms. If you guys think I have other options please let me know
I am saying both of those. You listed left and right knuckles and they are interchangeable SWB LWB. Check here.

You can drill out that bolt. Go with smaller drill (6mm or 1/4"), start and stay in the center of the bolt. Not easy but doable.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe I misunderstood you. You are trying to remove the UCA's because you need to press out the bushings. If so, Yes, You have a cheaper option as I mentioned above. Twice.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Maybe I misunderstood you. You are trying to remove the UCA's because you need to press out the bushings. If so, Yes, You have a cheaper option as I mentioned above. Twice.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I should have consulted the forum before I started, but I was just going to swap out the whole control arms not the bushings, since I didn't have the press to do just the bushings. So since the bolt broke off and the bolt is refusing to come out of the knuckle (haven't tried drilling it yet), I was just going to get a used knuckle since its easier to swap it out. That was my rational.

Anyways I appreciate everyone's response as always.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front knuckle/spindle