A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front left is down when the car sits for at least 8 hrs or more

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front left is down when the car sits for at least 8 hrs or more

Well let me start off by telling you folks it's been a while since I've been on here and it's a pleasure being back. But anyways I took my A8 to the dealer 2 weeks ago with my front left bottomed out and they told me the front left strut is leaking rapidly and the front right was not leaking as bad. I also had the lift/lower lights on and the codes were suspension level control and air compressor shut off due to overheat.

To make a long story short they told me 5864 plus tax including parts and labor for the shocks and compressor. I got the car out of there at the quickest opportunity. Just wanted to know what's wrong with it. I bought new rebuilt shocks and compressor from rebuildmastertech.com for $1500 and some change shipped and they were easy as crap to put on. I'm still having the front left sag down after installing them. I checked every front line including the compressor line with soapy water and I can't find a leak anywhere. Even on the fittings and new o rings I put in. Anywhere else I should check? I have no codes as we speak from vcds. Is there any other programming i have to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Does it start out level but sag after being turned off, or it just sags on that corner even when running?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I start it up it inflates as normal after being turned off and stays up when I park the car when out I'm running around in it. When I park it for the night in my garage after at least 8 hrs it drops on that side. I don't hear any airleaks and tested both front lines with the soapy water trick and all tests fine.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A leak that takes 8 hours is going to be difficult to see with soapy water so I would try again.

The other possibility is internal leakage in the valve block which would need replacement.

Originally Posted by 2k6blacka8
When I start it up it inflates as normal after being turned off and stays up when I park the car when out I'm running around in it. When I park it for the night in my garage after at least 8 hrs it drops on that side. I don't hear any airleaks and tested both front lines with the soapy water trick and all tests fine.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yea I know it's hard to detect a very slow leak. How do you check the valve block for a leak?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update folks. I solved the problem. Turned out to be a bad remanufactured strut so I had them overnight me a new one and put it on and let it sit for a whole 24 hrs and it did not drop. On the old shock I sprayed the lines and nonleak. Most likely a defective airbag from them rebuilding it but i didn't want to cut the clamp thay holds the boot off becuase i didnt want to void the warranty.Everything is level. If this did not solve the problem I was going to look for a valve block. I will ship back the bad/remanufactured strut back to RMT to get my core back. Thank you everyone.

Last edited by 2k6blacka8; 08-28-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the experience. I am currently waiting to receive my strut back from RMT and wouldn't have guessed a bad rebuild. Were they easy to deal with? How did you determine it was the rebuilt strut giving you the problem?
Old 08-30-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiDoody2U
Thanks for the experience. I am currently waiting to receive my strut back from RMT and wouldn't have guessed a bad rebuild. Were they easy to deal with? How did you determine it was the rebuilt strut giving you the problem?
Very easy to deal with. After my original shipment via ebay when I had the problem I made a call and followed the prompts and the lady I dealt with was friendly courteous and respectful. She went out of the way to overnight me a new shock the very next day by noon but had to pay a 75 dollar core but I'll get that back when they receive the defective rebuild which is not a big deal. Anymore questions just feel free to ask.