A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trunk latch issue

Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default trunk latch issue

Well I celebrated a success last evening as I was able to get all of my convenience functions working as I had hoped to, a big thank you to Brozee for posting his discovery on how to code the convenience module correctly. It is great to be able to open and close the windows and sunroof with the remote on this car. It was easier to program on the C5 model, not the same level of complexity. So last night I was thrilled to have all of that working.

So this morning I come out to the car, and load my bag into the trunk, trunk opens OK, and I close the thing and find that the latch is inoperable. I open and close again several times, and no change to the condition. There is no sound of the motor attempting to lock down the latch, which I used to get when operating normally. I tried to use the key to manually close the latch and again no luck. Could I have programmed something out to make the latch inoperable? Or do I have a latch failure? One last item, it the electrical latching device on the chassis or on the lid itself, part numbers would be helpful if I need to replace things.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 03_AR_CO; 09-18-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think that it can be anything with programming. Just coincidence.

Do you hear it working at all? If you put a key in your trunk it would latch and immediately unlatch. If you don't hear it at all it is most likely actuator. It is on the chassis. It's easy to get to it. In my case it was just small spring that lost its end hook. Just shape a new hook with small players and it will be as good as new. Probably it can be something else too. Like a breaker, or so, but I can't help there.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be the latch in the lid, or the pin on the tailboard which has stayed too far down for the latch to strike due to soft-close bust.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for thread on replacing latch mechanism. It takes about 1 hour to do and will solve your problem.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
I don't think that it can be anything with programming. Just coincidence.

Do you hear it working at all? If you put a key in your trunk it would latch and immediately unlatch. If you don't hear it at all it is most likely actuator. It is on the chassis. It's easy to get to it. In my case it was just small spring that lost its end hook. Just shape a new hook with small players and it will be as good as new. Probably it can be something else too. Like a breaker, or so, but I can't help there.
Correct I hear nothing at all, and when operating normally you can hear a motor engage, I am not getting that now. The actuator is on the chassis, is there any documentation on where to get after that, when I get home this evening I would like to tear into it, hopefully just a spring as in your case.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As I remember you have to take out that trim (just pool it gently) and from there it is as simple as possible. Spring should be in there, just missing end hook.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you close the trunk manually? I had a similar failure but it was the mechanism that pulls the trunk down the last 1/2". The motor for that is behind the battery and it operates the latch via a worm drive. There is a gear in the motor that wears down which results in the motor just free-wheeling.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Do you have the power OPENING trunk? Mine has only the pull down power assist, and sometimes I have to really slam it to get the motor to pull it down. I have yet to do the exploratory surgery to find the defective/misadjusted microswitch (or Misha's spring hook).
One thing you could check: the two tiny plungers in the trunk lid's bumpers.
I think it was Awdinut who told me about their purpose as told to him by an Audi engineer. They are there to help the power up/down trunk from doing the "opening, no - psych - closing" dance. They can be latched in the retracted position (to allow proper closing) with a philips screwdriver. If they are "out" on yours and you do not have power open, put a screwdriver in the little crosses molded in the plungers for this purpose, push in and then turn about 1/4 turn to retain them in the retracted position.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the details on the replacement. If you don't hear the mechanism, it has most likely quit on you. You may be able to fix it, but for the cost it is better to just replace it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2816598
Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

trouble was as Mish suggested, broken spring on the actuator. Made repair to the spring and all is fair with the universe. Thanks to everyone on the board for all of the suggestions and feedback.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trunk latch issue