A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G291 Level Control Pressure Sensor Fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default G291 Level Control Pressure Sensor Fault

This code has been coming up more and more for me.

Address 34: Level Control Labels: 4E0-910-553.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 553 H HW: 4E0 907 553 F
Component and/or Version: LUFTFDR.-CDC H06 4480
Software Coding: 0015510
Work Shop Code: WSC 02313 785 00200
VCID: 2855EF9B9B27BF6107B-807D
1 Fault Found:

01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 20
Reset counter: 119
Mileage: 209241 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.12.25
Time: 17:42:11

It is the only Address 34 Level Control code I get. I looked back through regular scans and found that it has been coming up since 10/2013, and about 20K miles have passed since this code started coming up regularly in my full system scans about every month. I cleared all codes lots since I have been trying to diagnose my secondary air system since around then. Still not fixed yet.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to this, because my focus was on SAI and I have no suspension issues that I am aware of.

I researched the forums and see that this is the pressure sensor in the valve block, that it precedes compressor failures sometimes. I think my compressor is working fine, it does not make noise and it does not come on repeatedly or excessively. I also am not aware of any sag issues when parked over time. Car has 132K now.

Any ideas?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think that it might be a bad connection. Hopefully. So cleaning that harness with some contact spray may help. That's the only sensor that tells leveling module about air pressure. It has to work or system would be shut off. Intermittent sounds like a loose contact. I don't think that sensor would come back once broken.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello DA8,

When I bought my car over a year ago it was giving me the exact same error code, and only that one. (for level control at least).

After some searching, I eventually gave the repair kit from http://www.bagpipingandy.com a try, had it installed and since then, no more fault codes and a good working compressor for almost a year now. I've been reading good results from other readers too, so it's worth the 25 buck i'd say.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Most certainly a worn compressor

If reading A8 forums day in and out for over a year has taught me anything it's that that pressure sensor fault relates to low pressure and not a faulty sensor, as was mentioned get yourself a repair kit from bagpipeandy and you'll be good, ignore it for much longer and you can end up burning the compressor up, while your at it it would be money well spent to replace the relay the supplies the compressor
Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM
DEWSOETZ

Hi,
I was driving when my ESP warning lamp and check engine light came on. I did a scan and i got a code for the MAF sensor and 1772 Signal Cable Of Pressure Sensor For Self Leveling Control G291.
I opened the Air Pump Relay and noticed a strong erosion of both contacts, overheated strands and burn marks on the Relay Housing.
Yesterday i changed the MAF sensor and erased the codes for the MAF sensor.
Since then, the check engine light and the ESP lights went off. I drove the car all day yesterday and drove it hard today and still no warning lights for the ESP or check engine.
Does it mean the compressor is still okay or do i still need to re kit the compressor?
I'll change the relay tomorrow and i intend traveling with the car next Monday, its an 8 hour trip one way.
Is it advisable to go on the trip with the car or should i re kit the compressor before embarking on the trip?

Thanks as always.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

As I understand, the G291 is in the valve block. If the suspension is fine, then you shouldn't worry about it. After you drove the car, lock and do you hear compressor releases air?
Cheers,
Louis
Old 06-06-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

A one off error signal for pressure sensor can be ignored. Just random glitches. If it comes up a lot then it’s typically due to a worn compressor. With VCDS you can cycle through the suspension module output tests until you get to the accumulator test. Along with testing the accumulator integrity, it also tests the compressor output performance. A healthy compressor will push out around 14-16 Bar.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:45 AM
DEWSOETZ

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
As I understand, the G291 is in the valve block. If the suspension is fine, then you shouldn't worry about it. After you drove the car, lock and do you hear compressor releases air?
Cheers,
Louis
I tried listening for the sound this morning, it released air but a very small amount of air or should i say sound was heard compared to what i used to hear.
Thanks.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:53 AM
DEWSOETZ

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
A one off error signal for pressure sensor can be ignored. Just random glitches. If it comes up a lot then it’s typically due to a worn compressor. With VCDS you can cycle through the suspension module output tests until you get to the accumulator test. Along with testing the accumulator integrity, it also tests the compressor output performance. A healthy compressor will push out around 14-16 Bar.
Thanks, but how do i get to the suspension module output test/accumulator test, secondly what should i look out for when running the output tests?

Thanks once again.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Level control > output tests > go > cycle through them in sequence until you get to “accumulator test”.

Spec is 16 bar, although I think you start getting this error when it starts to get below 10-12 Bar. The system will carry on working just fine though. It’ll just be slower to change levels, and if you frequently have the car heavily loaded, it’ll struggle to maintain the correct ride height.

Quick Reply: G291 Level Control Pressure Sensor Fault