A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green Suspension Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Part 1 is normal...

The OP asked a two part question,

Part 1

"Hello everyone, I have noticed the green suspension (lowering) light come on for 10 secs after engine startup".

YES part 1 is normal IF you drive and park the vehicle in dynamic level.

Part 2

"and come on briefly several times during driving. Is this normal?"

NO this is not normal, unless like I said you are at hi-way speeds.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Old batteries do make D3's do weird things electrically, but I don't really recall posts tying it to suspension.

I found when mine developed a strut leak I really could not hear compressor from inside car while driving or stopped and lights were on and it was pumping up. Mine does have acoustic glass though too. Also, with the power electronics, it can take a little while for compressor to come on w/ start u, so listening for it exactly then (instead of with a little delay) can be frustrating. With the A/C off (thus no fan inside or out) and in a quiet area, then yes you should be able to hear it, at least from outside vehicle near driver's front corner.

No, you will not get codes with a strut leak. At least I didn't, not a one. One of the things I think owners often don't realize after they get used to VCDS diagnostics; on strut leaks don't expect codes.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok well tonight ill put it in lift, then activate jack mode, then see what happens tomorrow morning. Again, when I started the car this evening, which was parked in automatic mode, the green lowering light came on for about 10 seconds before I started driving. Any diy on how to change out the strut? Ive searched and could not find a specific diy
Old 11-22-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Furthermore, looking at tonight, its almost been 2 hours with the car in lift mode/jack mode. From what it seems, the right front passenger side is slightly lower than the driver side. It might be a leak in that strut. I'll wait till tomorrow morning before I go and take a look at it again.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

[QUOTE=JohnnyJ A6Q;24746040]The OP asked a two part question,

Part 1

"Hello everyone, I have noticed the green suspension (lowering) light come on for 10 secs after engine startup".

I disagree. IF you drive and park the vehicle in dynamic level; The green light will illuminate and stay illuminated when the ignition is on. The green indicator tells the driver the car is lowered. Keeping the vehicle in Dynamic mode keeps the car lowered. It stays lowered so the light stays illuminated. It does not just light for 10 seconds.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought I saw something in module parameters for air suspension that where you can monitor air compressor duty cycling.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Mister Bally;24746096]
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
The OP asked a two part question,

Part 1

I disagree. IF you drive and park the vehicle in dynamic level; The green light will illuminate and stay illuminated when the ignition is on. The green indicator tells the driver the car is lowered. Keeping the vehicle in Dynamic mode keeps the car lowered. It stays lowered so the light stays illuminated. It does not just light for 10 seconds.
It does this when I parked in comfort or auto mode. Its been doing this for the past 2 or 3 days
Old 11-22-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

[QUOTE=Junius;24746102]
Originally Posted by Mister Bally

It does this when I parked in comfort or auto mode. Its been doing this for the past 2 or 3 days
Which means you have a problem. What you're experiencing is not normal.

What I replied to above was the statement that implied the green light coming on for 10 seconds upon start up with the suspension set to Dynamic mode is normal. That's not normal as the green indicator should be on and stay on when the suspension is set to "Dynamic".
Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Break out the ruler and measure the gap between the wheels and fenders at night and the next morning, if you don't trust your eyeballs to see the difference. People with a near encyclopedic knowledge are telling you somethings off, now it's just a matter of trying to figure out what it is.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

yes, i've done that. I'll let you guys know tomorrow morning when I check. Hopefully its just the left strut thats leaking, and nothing like a valve block or compressor

Quick Reply: Green Suspension Light Question