A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen Parking Light to LED SWAP (pic intensive)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bac2h
That is a great write up!! But I do HATE disconnecting the airbox and removing it because it is such a hump to get it back together correctly. Does anyone have the trick or porper procedure for putting it back together?
Thank you..
A little finesse with the airbox an it goes together like magic, remember patience..

Originally Posted by itdoesitallroad
It's possible to change the parking light which is halogen to LED. Is it also possible to change the daytime running light to an LED also?
You could you just need to find an ERROR free LED as the LED's suck up low current making the computer think you have a burnt out bulb..

I THINK that a DRL is an automatic feature that turns on automatically when you start the car..
In this case we are physically switching it on.
Parking lights are the lights that turn on when you turn your lights on, on the first setting (ours is 2nd setting cause of the Auto ON feature)the parking lights turn on, the AMBER color it all depends on the vehicle or it could be that it looks amber cause it is halogen bulb "EWWW"

Anyways what ever they are called they were changed cause they looked horrible before, Call them what you want just get them changed you'll be thankful you did it YOURSELF..
Dont forget i also have a write up on the Courtesy Step light bulb right under the door) Halogen to LED write up.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2783733

Wow I waited 3 months to change the Parking lights.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fantastic

Absolutely great writeup, should be a sticky for sure!
I'm completely car illiterate but with this writeup I am going to order the bulbs and install them myself this weekend hopefully.
Thank you very much!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you can do another writeup with pics of putting the airbox back together!! I'm always afraid of pulling or pushing too hard and loosening the intake tube back where it meets the throttle body or whatever is back there.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tjf
LOL The First thing I noticed was that the cold air intake wasn't fully engaged. It is a PITA to get that to stay together. I used a small screwdriver to get it to slide over the top far enough where it would stay.

Very nice look with the lights! Nice write up too. Thanks.
I've put the air intake duct back on the airbox without much of a problem. I hold both sides and attach the bottom. Then, while using one hand to hold the sides and top as close to the airbox as possible, I use a long shank small screwdriver along the passenger side of the duct sliding it in as far down as possible and then pull the screwdriver up. The duct snaps into place every time for me.

FYI, the OEM bulbs (#194) are not halogen, they are incandescent bulbs.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, when you have your normal driving lights on these are on as well? You should post up a picture of your lights on as well as the parking lights, assuming they are both on at the same given time.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice write up. I am doing the swap this weekend. I just got the error code for the hologen light for the DRL so I figured I would just change both with them LED lights. Thanks for the detailed write up!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice writeup! ... and by a fellow Illinoisan at that!

So if the shown connector is used for DRL, then that's what I could tie into for an LED light strip, couldn't I?

l8r)
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is truly an awsome write up but as I understand it olny works for the parking light. I really want to change y DRL for an LED and can't find the replacement bulb. Is there one?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ludikraut
Nice writeup! ... and by a fellow Illinoisan at that!

So if the shown connector is used for DRL, then that's what I could tie into for an LED light strip, couldn't I?

l8r)
Blago is innocent!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ Ha! Who knows what goes on under that mop of his.

l8r)

Quick Reply: Halogen Parking Light to LED SWAP (pic intensive)