A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried this lowering kit from oemplus.com?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan_PL_S6
By mechanicals I mean the Lowering kit from oemplus. They are lowering links that you replace in your suspension which fools the computer to make the car drop lower. They look like this more or less:

And I wasn't happy with the VCDS because there was so much toying around with it that I really just got completely frustrated with it. You have to be pretty damn careful because if you put in the wrong values you start getting error codes left and right and your headlights just flop down, then you have to set everything back to normal and try again. The process has to be done on a pretty level surface so my driveway was out of the question, I ended up having to do it in a store parking lot 5 minutes away from my house which probably didn't help since I was trying to rush before my laptop died. From all that I read, you can get a more significant drop from the links, they can be replaced in a fraction of the time it takes you to lower it through VCDS, and adjusting them is pretty easy.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the VCDS because it is a pretty good way to lower your car, I'm just saying its not for me. I hate having to toy with the damn system so much, I'd rather have it all in front of me and be able to put my hands on it. On top of that, I wanted something that I can adjust rather quickly since I plan on dropping low in the summer and raising it back to stock height in the winter time and not have to spend an hour or two playing around with a computer.
Yeah I found this company in UK who specializes in these links and the cost around $160 shipped. airridelowering.com
Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://airridelowering.com/?tcp_product=audi-a8-s8-2002-2009
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok sorry for the late response killkrich, I just got around to putting the links in. Frankly, they will take you stupid low. Putting them in I had to toy with the jack a little bit just to be able to put the new links in because they're a great deal shorter than the stock ones. It's a little hassling with it but it is easy to do. Word of advice if you do plan on going this route, do not do what I did and start off with the lowest it will go. My back came out fine but the front just sank and would not lift no matter what I did. Worst part was the jack wouldn't even fit. After more playing around I went to adjust them and one of the oemplus links just snapped a chunk off. Big boo boo. After being completely done with everything I had to go around and replace them back to stock because I honestly don't feel safe putting the chipped link in.

When the lowering links were put in the car, it was not driveable. You will have to adjust the lowering links in the front so that it is slightly raised, at least 1cm IMO. The back looks perfect at its lowest setting, I wouldn't worry about that one really. But the front will tuck the wheel and take my word for it, its not fun when you try to move it. Putting the stock links back in is a b***h, make sure you have a variety of sizes of channel locks to really put them back on.

Overall, I'm pretty upset I have to put the stock links back in for the time being because it did look good but prepare for a stiff ride. It does make a big difference when going over bumps. And if I had to give my opinion on the difference between the links and the VCDS lowering, I would say the links would be the easier way to go. You should still get the VCDS if you don't have it yet, but in the field of lowering I would recommend the links. Very easy to change and adjust, just not fun putting it back to stock. As for VCDS lowering, its great because its free (assuming you already have it), its just a bit of a hassle getting it done IMO. Read a bunch of the DIY guides on it before you do the VCDS though.

Also, my apologies that I did not take pictures of before and after, I was too busy cursing the damn car when it wouldn't lift back up.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok sorry for the late response killkrich, I just got around to putting the links in. Frankly, they will take you stupid low. Putting them in I had to toy with the jack a little bit just to be able to put the new links in because they're a great deal shorter than the stock ones. It's a little hassling with it but it is easy to do. Word of advice if you do plan on going this route, do not do what I did and start off with the lowest it will go. My back came out fine but the front just sank and would not lift no matter what I did. Worst part was the jack wouldn't even fit. After more playing around I went to adjust them and one of the oemplus links just snapped a chunk off. Big boo boo. After being completely done with everything I had to go around and replace them back to stock because I honestly don't feel safe putting the chipped link in.

When the lowering links were put in the car, it was not driveable. You will have to adjust the lowering links in the front so that it is slightly raised, at least 1cm IMO. The back looks perfect at its lowest setting, I wouldn't worry about that one really. But the front will tuck the wheel and take my word for it, its not fun when you try to move it. Putting the stock links back in is a b***h, make sure you have a variety of sizes of channel locks to really put them back on.

Overall, I'm pretty upset I have to put the stock links back in for the time being because it did look good but prepare for a stiff ride. It does make a big difference when going over bumps. And if I had to give my opinion on the difference between the links and the VCDS lowering, I would say the links would be the easier way to go. You should still get the VCDS if you don't have it yet, but in the field of lowering I would recommend the links. Very easy to change and adjust, just not fun putting it back to stock. As for VCDS lowering, its great because its free (assuming you already have it), its just a bit of a hassle getting it done IMO. Read a bunch of the DIY guides on it before you do the VCDS though.

Also, my apologies that I did not take pictures of before and after, I was too busy cursing the damn car when it wouldn't lift back up.
The product from airridelowering.com is a lot better and fully adjustable plus its $160 from the UK. Even my mechanic was impressed by the product. You might want to look into that product.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by killkrich
The product from airridelowering.com is a lot better and fully adjustable plus its $160 from the UK. Even my mechanic was impressed by the product. You might want to look into that product.
The ones from oemplus are fully adjustable as well but not as cheap. I will look into them, thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have an unused set from the UK...

If anyone wants to take them off my hands (buy them), PM me.

K9

The ones from oemplus are fully adjustable as well but not as cheap. I will look into them, thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have what might seem like a silly question, but do you folks that have lowered your A8 have issues? The car is already lower than most sedans and it is very long. My wife has bottomed out on speed bumps as is it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea, I have issues with my wife too.

Seriously, if she bottoms factory high A8 at speed bumps you will need new struts soon.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by enGage
I have what might seem like a silly question, but do you folks that have lowered your A8 have issues? The car is already lower than most sedans and it is very long. My wife has bottomed out on speed bumps as is it.
I'm curious about the future problems that might arise as well.

I'm back at stock height for now but the quick ride I did with it lowered it just felt stiff and for the first time ever in this car, I actually felt a bump.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Yea, I have issues with my wife too.

Seriously, if she bottoms factory high A8 at speed bumps you will need new struts soon.
I think the struts are fine. The car drives and rides well, but even at factory height it's lower than most sedans and has a longer wheel base - that makes it much easier to bottom out on speed bumps, or entering/exiting a driveway that has a steep angle and/or crest.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried this lowering kit from oemplus.com?