A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate to beat a dead horse but....air suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles do you have on your car Chris? I am only at 41.5k and it just seems unimaginable that these things fail that soon......

my wife is wanting a new SUV and 2 of the 3 that she is considering have air suspension (an option) but apparently a common one as that seems to be what is on the lots.....i am not sure i am interested....

i too ran the system through the paces with the force outputs from VCDS and everything appeared normal to me.

when i get home (in 2 weeks) and get some time i suppose i will go on a leak finding mission...

i still wonder how much temp plays with all this. mine seems to be dropping somewhat on all 4, as just about every time i get in the car you feel the back go up first then the front as it should. this is leading me to believe either i have a common failure to all 4 or temp is at play here.

who knows....i read the test reports on the new S6 (S8/A8 out the exterior is not for me) and i think of trying to find one of them with a few miles on it. then i think to myself that i still won't spend the money on the D3 S8 that i would on the S6. and the D3 S8 is better looking that the S6.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Have anyone tried this?

I stumbled into this thread
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2756487

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you spray soapy water all over the bags just to make sure it isn't a leak at the bag?

Zed, isn't your car in FL? How cold can it be!?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Zed, I have 65K on the S8 now. I looked out this morning and (its 43F now, not in the 20's) the front didn't appear as lowered as it did the other days when it was colder. Very quirky.
I bought the car in June with 61K on it and the suspension issues only came to light in the cooler months.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, car is in FL. I too am wondering how much temp affects things. We have had days in mid 80s then drops to mid 50s at night. I am going to get some leak detect and have a go at things, but my instincts tell me I am not going to find anything.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I stumbled into this thread
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2756487

Cheers,

Louis
Interesting, but I think I will pass. This just seems like a lot of potential for bad things to happen all throughout the system.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zedbyers
Interesting, but I think I will pass. This just seems like a lot of potential for bad things to happen all throughout the system.
+1

Probably it would seal a leak at the bottom, temporarily beg too, but it won't do anything for the connection at the top. If slime gets into system it will cause big problems. I wouldn't be surprised if some weird symptoms we saw are coming from this kind of fixing suspension before selling the car.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zedbyers
Yeah, I'm with you on this one as well. Sounds like a quick fix if I were to get rid of the car. I would opt to swish the stuff around to evenly coat the insides of the bag. In order to do that you would have to remove the strut assembly. Thats half-way towards replacing a new assembly.
Do it once, do it right.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
Yeah, I'm with you on this one as well. Sounds like a quick fix if I were to get rid of the car. I would opt to swish the stuff around to evenly coat the insides of the bag. In order to do that you would have to remove the strut assembly. Thats half-way towards replacing a new assembly.
Do it once, do it right.
Do it right once is the best approach, replace the air strut. The slime "fix" idea is not a good idea, especially if it gets vented back into the system, there is a lot of expensive stuff that it can ruin. I drove allroads before the A8 and there are guys on the forums that regretted using the slime.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

The chinese websites list the replacement bags for around $40. Anyone willing to be a guinea pig? Or does someone have a bad strut worth experimenting with?

Quick Reply: Hate to beat a dead horse but....air suspension issue