A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight bulb - conflicting info. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Galco
Mishar, I'm not sure I can answer your question directly -- read on.
I know a bit about CCD's, white balance and cameras, but we are talking about pictures as they are.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I would definitely go with the 5000k CBI then next time I have to replace bulbs, unfortunately I have only one year old headlight assemblies and bulbs. I really hate the factory hue of the 4300K bulbs. I think my A8 has a far more yellow than most other factory systems with 4300K bulbs.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I know a bit about CCD's, white balance and cameras, but we are talking about pictures as they are.
Now I am unclear on what your saying/asking? With all due respect, do you want to pick your next headlight bulbs from those posted pictures or how they illuminate the road beyond your windshield? You seem to have a strong bias against light with a bluer hue. IF that is indeed the case, by all means stick to 4300k... you'll be happier.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You said: The 1st link is an excellent comparison of light output

I said: I am a bit puzzled here. Only difference I can see in those images is light color.

That's all. I didn't understand, nor I understand now, why is that excellent comparison.

I have strong bias against all "improvements" that diminish functionality. 5000K bulbs are not a big deal. If they are in my car i would not replace them before time. More gets worst. I saw guys driving green lights. I believe that was Peru. They looked very happy.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

You said: The 1st link is an excellent comparison of light output

I said: I am a bit puzzled here. Only difference I can see in those images is light color.

That's all. I didn't understand, nor I understand now, why is that excellent comparison.

I have strong bias against all "improvements" that diminish functionality. 5000K bulbs are not a big deal. If they are in my car i would not replace them before time. More gets worst. I saw guys driving green lights. I believe that was Peru. They looked very happy.
OK, let's try this. It an excellent comparison because of the effort of the OPer did to photo shop the split screens to offer an example of the difference in light output, both in lumes and in color temp. IMO, this is a very good A/B comparison but with some limitations that i addressed about white balance of the camera, etc. Its not perfect but its pretty darn good, and I appreciated his efforts -- there-go an excellent comparison. You may not see a difference in luminance as you said you see only a color shift. One must study the images but I do see how the 4300k light seems to have a farther reach in its illumination therefore I suspect greater lumes or light output. Which is consistent with what i have been saying, "4300k puts out lots of lumes". It was your departure from the topic about how blue lights are akin to slammed suspension and what not. This is were I wanted to correct your impressions, as the particular light output from the CBIs is NOT that kind of light. Tonight i compared the wives Lexus with factory HID 4300K and my A8 with 5000k CBIs, side-by-side. The difference was subtle and I would say the Lexus went a little yellow while the A8 looked "white" and would not describe them as blue.

Lastly, if you agree there is no difference in the illumination of the images and only a shift in color, how is that an "improvement that diminishes functionality"? The light output are the same, right? At least that's what you said.

I think this is enough about this topic. I will gladly share a beer with you one day in Peru as we share our opinions about who has the better green headlights. Cheers!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Galco
OK, let's try this. It an excellent comparison because of the effort of the OPer did to photo shop the split screens to offer an example of the difference in light output, both in lumes and in color temp. IMO, this is a very good A/B comparison but with some limitations that i addressed about white balance of the camera, etc. Its not perfect but its pretty darn good, and I appreciated his efforts -- there-go an excellent comparison. You may not see a difference in luminance as you said you see only a color shift. One must study the images but I do see how the 4300k light seems to have a farther reach in its illumination therefore I suspect greater lumes or light output. Which is consistent with what i have been saying, "4300k puts out lots of lumes". It was your departure from the topic about how blue lights are akin to slammed suspension and what not. This is were I wanted to correct your impressions, as the particular light output from the CBIs is NOT that kind of light. Tonight i compared the wives Lexus with factory HID 4300K and my A8 with 5000k CBIs, side-by-side. The difference was subtle and I would say the Lexus went a little yellow while the A8 looked "white" and would not describe them as blue.

Lastly, if you agree there is no difference in the illumination of the images and only a shift in color, how is that an "improvement that diminishes functionality"? The light output are the same, right? At least that's what you said.

I think this is enough about this topic. I will gladly share a beer with you one day in Peru as we share our opinions about who has the better green headlights. Cheers!
You are right. Those pictures are excellent comparison showing that 4300K lights are better in every aspect.

Now beer. Light or dark? And why?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

You are right. Those pictures are excellent comparison showing that 4300K lights are better in every aspect.

Now beer. Light or dark? And why?
Hefeweizen - if you don't know why, I can't explain it to you....:-)
Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cheers!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

No Rochefort 10?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally