A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Dealership scam me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Dealership scam me?

I dropped off the s8 at the dealership this week to diagnose my long crank issue every time the car sits for 30 minutes or longer. They insist it's the fuel pump. I insist that based on all my research here that was unlikely since I didn't have symptoms associated with failing/failed pump. No tough idle not even under load. Plus I was getting a large evap leak code. So I picked up the car last night, I didn't get to start it up myself as it was brought out front by a tech. They said car was all set, no codes no long crank. I get up this morning and it's the same issue. Long 5 to 10 second crank. The car runs exactly as before. I just paid $1500 for nothing. Was I scammed? Is there anything I can do as I paid for a repair that they insisted was the cause. I never had any codes indicating fuel pump issues by the way. What can I do? This was my post of my scan
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2861527

Last edited by ayrula; 07-18-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm am in the process of having various issues addressed with my 07 S8. One of the issues is the long crank time upon initial start up and whenever the car sits for an extended period of time during the day. My check engine light is on also, not sure if you have that issue. Audi Brooklyn stated that my low fuel pressure thrust sensor is the cause of both issues and said that after it is changed they would be solved. Hope this helps, good luck!
Scott
Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sel126
Hi, I'm am in the process of having various issues addressed with my 07 S8. One of the issues is the long crank time upon initial start up and whenever the car sits for an extended period of time during the day. My check engine light is on also, not sure if you have that issue. Audi Brooklyn stated that my low fuel pressure thrust sensor is the cause of both issues and said that after it is changed they would be solved. Hope this helps, good luck!
Scott
I have the same issues. Have you had this repair done yet?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

You weren't scammed. Just a misdiagnosis. Take it back, get a $1500.00 credit and have them fix it. Most likely, a bad crankshaft (engine RPM) sensor. About$180.. for the part and 2 or so hours of labor.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Scott
This was very helpful. I found a Tsb on this. It actually covers many 07-08 Audi models.
http://www.jlosee.com/images/RS4/PDF...20Pressure.pdf

It even advises to change the fuel pressure thrust sensor when a fuel pressure error comes up first before changing out fuel pumps or filters.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Faulty low fuel pressure sensor can cause check engine light and faulty code, but it doesn't mean that pressure is low, so it wouldn't crank long because of a faulty sensor. They should check low fuel pressure with gauge. If it is low it can be pressure regulator.

Mister Bally could be right. It could be RPM sensor, but it usually fails when engine is hot.

Dealers are famous for replacing parts as a diagnostic. You are paying, off course.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ayrula
This was very helpful. I found a Tsb on this. It actually covers many 07-08 Audi models.
http://www.jlosee.com/images/RS4/PDF...20Pressure.pdf

It even advises to change the fuel pressure thrust sensor when a fuel pressure error comes up first before changing out fuel pumps or filters.
Glad it helped you out. I haven't had the work done yet due to the fact I am fighting with the dealer I purchased from (Audi Willoughby in Ohio), their parent company Penske Automotive Group, and Audi of America. Within the first couple days of taking the car home I noticed a long list of issues (a lot of them safety related) and I'm trying to get them to help correct everything. No luck so far, we'll see what happens. Thanks for posting the info on the TSB, I'll definitely look into it with Audi Brooklyn when I have the work done.

Keep us posted on any progress you make with your issues,
Scott
Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also wanted to thank Mister Bally and Mishar, your advice and insite is always appreciated! Ayrula, make sure you look into their recommendations.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also wanted to thank Mister Bally and Mishar, your advice and insite is always appreciated! Ayrula, make sure you look into their recommendations.
I got the car back today. Problem fixed. After changing fuel pumps and filter the long crank is gone. Hopefully that was it. We'll see in the next few days. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ayrula
I got the car back today. Problem fixed. After changing fuel pumps and filter the long crank is gone. Hopefully that was it. We'll see in the next few days. I appreciate everyone's help.
Glad to hear that the problem is solved, but I have a question. Didn't you say in your initial post that the long crank time was still present after the dealer changed your fuel pumps? Was the $1500 they charged you just for the pumps and filters or was there any other work done?

Quick Reply: Help! Dealership scam me?